Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nunchaku

Knife Nunchuk

This would make a great villain weapon in some direct-to-dvd film:

Get your nunchuks here (no knife nunchuks tho)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    he so serious
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i made my very first set of chucks back about 1982

they came in very handy for killing the copperhead that bit me in April of 1983.

i don't know what became of them, they were in the backpack with the dead snake when I was admitted to Duke. Perhaps some rival ninja masquerading as a doctor stole them to discover the secrets of killin' snakes...
    raoflmao

true story
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

nunchuk bot

The Economic Reason We Should Be Worried About Nunchuck Robots
    Dexterous robots signal another change in automation.
    By Alasdair Wilkins on September 20, 2017

Growing up in Beijing, roboticist Cong Wang had one skill he just couldn’t master: soccer. His high school’s soccer coach had played the sport professionally, yet he struggled to teach Wang how to kick the ball between the posts or even just to stop the ball with his chest.

“When he was explaining things they were so simple, but when I tried them it was out of my capability, no matter how smart I am,” Wang tells Inverse. “Whatever he taught me, I wouldn’t be able to do it. Because we were physically different. The tricks he was talking about were just beyond my mechanical capabilities.”

It’s the same basic problem Wang now tries to solve while working in his robotics lab at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Instead of designing robots that are built to do one task perfectly, he and his fellow researchers want to do to a robot what his soccer coach eventually did for him: teach an entirely new skill to something that wasn’t specifically made to perform it.

While robots that can master the martial art of nunchaku as proficiently as, say, a talented toddler, might just seem like a mere novelty or set-up to a joke, there’s a lot of real-world application to this technological development, especially when it comes to making manufacturing more efficient.

For instance, robots that can learn to swivel their arms could open up a new frontier for robotics. Even though dismal forecasts about automation keep coming — in spite the rare bit of good news — developments like the one by Wang and his team signal another step toward more dexterous robots that could take on jobs performed by humans today.

And as his team describes in a pre-print paper available on arXiv, they decided to teach a robotic hand how to flip nunchucks. Wang and his students learned this relatively basic karate technique, then they used motion-reading sensors to demonstrate all the necessary moves to the robot, so that it could figure out how to replicate it.

For those unfamiliar with the finer points of martial arts, nunchuck-flipping isn’t something you need to be a karate master to perform.

“It’s not that challenging,” Wong says. “But it did take me two months myself to learn it.”

The robot didn’t need quite as much time, he admits.

“Oh, they’re fast — in hours, they’ll be fine,” he says. “It’s a machine, and they practice hard.”

While this particular feat might seem a mere novelty — there’s only so much demand for nunchuck-flipping robots, at least for the time being — Wong sees the robot’s ability to learn and handle such unprecedentedly complex tasks means this opens up the final frontier of automation.

Industrial robots in Germany.

He points out that the construction of car bodies has been fully robotized since the 1970s, but even today the final interior assembly needs to be done by humans.

“The tasks require a lot of hand manipulation, a lot of fine motor skills, and a lot of handling of composite objects that are partly soft and partly rigid,” he says, all of which are tasks robots like this are now able to handle. “So our vision is with our technology in the future, those tasks can also be robotized.”

It’s not that robots couldn’t already do a task like flip nunchucks. As Wong notes, there are already robots that play table tennis, pitch tents, throw darts, run alongside humans, and so on.

“But the problem is a lot of those works are very case-specific,” he says. “It takes a whole team of researchers years of engineering just to do that particular application. So what we’re thinking is we can transfer human skills on this level to robots.”

A task simple enough for a human, but not to robots... until now.

Let’s say you wanted to automate apple picking. It’s a task that might seem relatively straightforward to a human, but Wang says it would take a whole team of Ph.D. researchers to replicate all the precise hand-eye coordination and careful handling of the fruits themselves that go into the task.

“However, if we can figure out how to teach a robot how to do this level of skills intuitively, just like teaching another human being, it just takes another apple picker to teach the robot,” he says.

What all that means for the future of human labor remains to be seen — this is the kind of innovation that makes the calls of tech entrepreneurs for a universal basic income seem that much more urgent. But for now, Wang’s robot remains in the lab, ready to add new tricks to its repertoire.

Photos via Getty Images / Sean Gallup, Getty Images / Matt Cardy, Cong Wang/NJITWritten by Alasdair Wilkins
    martial arts robot and numchuks
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

52 candles blown out by a nunchuck in 1 minute

There's some weird records in the Guinness book...

Chinese martial art master sets world record for blowing out candles with nunchaku

02019-09-11 09:38:43 Global Times Editor : Li Yan ECNS

A Chinese martial arts master sets a world record for extinguishing most lit candles in one minute using a two section nunchaku. (Photo/Screenshot from the Beijing News)

A Chinese martial arts master has set a world record by blowing 52 candles with a traditional Chinese weapon within one minute, the Beijing News reported on Tuesday saying the feat has been published in the 2020 edition of the Guinness World Records.

The man furiously swung the weapon known as a nunchaku, hitting only the flames of the candles, putting them out without making contact with the candles themselves, as seen in a video the Beijing News posted on Sina Weibo.

The report also mentioned some other odd records, such as the longest distance an arrow shot using feet has traveled, the person who has most tattoos, and the world's longest handmade egg noodles.
    THREADS
    Martial Arts World Records and Stunts
    Nunchaku
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ChopChucks

I seldom post Kickstarters but these are just so silly...

Plei Design, the Amazing Pocket Size Skill Toy & Chopsticks, Launches Crowdfunding Campaign on Kickstarter
    Save the trees, perfect your nunchaku trick skills and eat your sushi! All with the cool, transforming pocket arsenal that is the ChopChucks.

NEWS PROVIDED BY PLEI DESIGN
    Apr 29, 2021, 09:00 ET

LONDON, April 29, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Plei Design has just come up with the most fun, a wacky and practical new product for their eighth Kickstarter, ChopChucks | The amazing pocket size skill toy & chopsticks.

How can they combine the world of martial arts training, oriental cuisine, and sleek design?

PLEI DESIGN
    This is why the team invented the ChopChucks, short for Chop Chucks, a pair of chopsticks made from high-quality materials that are also transformers. What do they transform into? A martial arts training tool, enabling you in Belgeri bead, pen, or Bali Song techniques, before using them to murder your dinner…elegantly. These techniques can be used to perform all sorts of nunchaku tricks. But you don't want to carry actual nunchakus with you in public for fear of arrest or looking like a geek.

And you can use your ChopChucks to battle safely. When you use them to compete in a game of "Chop Chucks" with a friend to see who can stack some tiny plastic bricks fastest. It's fun, it's a test of skills, and it allows you to beat them without slaying them. You could also use them for training a small rodent-like squirrel as a Ninja and arm it, but that may be irresponsible.

And then they transform once more to hide seamlessly, elegantly in their case. But these eating weapons are genuinely flexible and can easily be adjusted to the correct length for your needs.

While we wouldn't recommend using them as a weapon, ChopChucks are ready to battle for the environment. Traditional chopsticks are disposable and use an indeed monstrous amount of wood, a scarce resource, 3.8 million trees are destroyed every year to create disposable wooden versions! But your ChopChucks can be used again and again, and as you'll be so proud to show them off, you'll never leave them at home. Remember, a sushi Ninja is never unarmed, and his dinner is never uneaten.

Save the environment, perfect your nunchaku trick skills and eat your sushi! All with the cool, transforming pocket arsenal that is the ChopChucks.

The campaign has already surpassed its original funding goals, and there is still time for consumers to be a part of the ChopChucks community at an exclusive discount of up to 57% off the retail price.

Visit ChopChucks on Kickstarter to learn more about it, the amazing pocket size skill toy & chopsticks.

To find out more, please send emails to pldesign2018@hotmail.com

Related Images
    chopchucks-on-kickstarter.jpg
    ChopChucks on Kickstarter
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Liverpool's 'nunchaku king' Melvin Lyons

Liverpool's 'nunchaku king' winning titles on global stage
    Melvin Lyons is the first winner of the World Nunchaku Championship

ByPatrick Graham Liverpool 8 Community Reporter
    10:44, 16 NOV 2022 UPDATED10:45, 16 NOV 2022

MEET MELVIN LYONS: THE FIRST WORLD NUNCHAKU CHAMPION
    A Liverpool man is the first ever winner of a world martial arts title.

Bruce Lee brought world fame to martial arts and popularised the art of using nunchaku (two wooden fighting sticks joined by a chain or rope) in the film Fist of Fury and then later Enter the Dragon.

Liverpool's Melvin Lyons, of Freestyle Kickboxing multiple champion Alfie Lewis's Mushin Kai school, became the first Nunchaku Combat World Champion. He won the over 18s and the Veterans categories in Sunderland in October.

He also holds the National, European and Regional champion titles as part of his impressive array of wins. Melvin is undefeated in competition since February 2021.

Melvin told the ECHO: "I took up using Nunchaku around eight years ago after years of martial arts training. It seemed a logical next step for me to learn how to use a weapon, so I chose Nunchaku as it’s a weapon from a humble background.

"(It is) A weapon of the people which is only effective if you know how to use it. For example a bladed weapon is dangerous in most people’s hands, but nunchaku is, mostly, only dangerous in trained hands.

Melvin Lyons first holder of the World Nunchaku Combat Championship (Image: Patrick Graham/Liverpool ECHO)

"I have been learning various martial arts all of my life. But I picked up kickboxing in 2010. In 2015 I joined Alfie Lewis Mushin Kai in Wavertree. My current grade is a First Dan, that’s a Black belt”.

He added: “My dojo (a term which loosely translates to place of learning) is full of amazing fighters who have won multiple world titles. Being trained and pushed as part of a collective effort is how it works here.

"I’m privileged to be part of Mushin Kai and to be taught by Sensei Alfie Lewis and Sensei Lee Kwende. While I’m extremely proud of my achievements I am fully aware that they are a footnote in the history of this great club”.

Melvin's World and European Championship medals (Image: Patrick Graham/Liverpool ECHO)
    Melvin's nunchaku trainer, Lee Kwende, who has almost 50 years experience using them said: "His achievements at the championships are phenomenal. The people he thought were of high quality, he just blew them all away. In nunchaku, he is the king.”

Lee took him through three phases as part of his training. First; learning basic strikes, moving on to pads and then finally, combat training.

World Nunchaku Champion Melvin Lyons (centre) with trainer, Lee Kwende (left) and training partner Carlton Abbey (Image: Patrick Graham/Liverpool ECHO)
    Carlton Abbey said: "As his training partner I started at the beginning with Melvin. Seeing how he’s progressed to a level now, he is one of the best in the world.

"Anyone who takes his title is well deserved. He is right up there with it".

For information about learning freestyle kickboxing, nunchaku, staff and more, visit: Alfie_Lewis_mushin*_kai on Instagram or Mushin Kai Martial arts and Fitness on Facebook.
    If I was Melvin, I would totally put 'Liverpool's 'nunchaku king'' on my biz card.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips