Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Ultimate Top Ten Arts" on TLC

I'm confused.Their tough because of their neighborhood?
    Would you ask your men to carry a weapon that was “theorized” to work but had never been field tested to meet the high demands of modern day special operations? Of course not! Then why should we “assume” that the stunts and routines that are taught in most unarmed combative courses will work for real? The fact of the matter is that most of these courses, regardless of their many colorful origins, offer techniques that have not been “battle tested” against aggressive, non-compliant individuals.

KungFuGuy

Alot of people believe that Pankration is the Granddaddy of martial arts not Shaolin.

Choke, what are you basing that on?
    Arch, that could be true, but I'm not going to argue. What do I know?

Someone referred to the way these monks were brought up conveys their skills.It was a poke at the absence of reasoning behind championing a martial art without testing it.
    Would you ask your men to carry a weapon that was “theorized” to work but had never been field tested to meet the high demands of modern day special operations? Of course not! Then why should we “assume” that the stunts and routines that are taught in most unarmed combative courses will work for real? The fact of the matter is that most of these courses, regardless of their many colorful origins, offer techniques that have not been “battle tested” against aggressive, non-compliant individuals.

Ok, this thread is starting to degrade into another argument.

Here is a kitten:

Last edited by Zapf Dingbat; 04-10-2002 at 07:41 PM.

Oh. Well I think he wasn't refering to their upbringing more than their neighborhood. When they are old enough to walk, they start training. They train all day just about every day.

The original thread wasn't a argument.

Arguement-A group of statements,one or more of wich are claimed to provide support for, or reasons to believe one of the others.

There is nothing wrong with a argument.

Shaolinboxer, why do you say the training would be different for someone else? Did you find the training to be good? Why did you decide to leave? Sorry for all the questions

By the way, if anyone who missed the show and wants to see it, it's on again on saturday at 5:00 PM eastern time on TLC.

Yay, got home in time to watch the first half, which I missed last time.
    That juko stuff is blatantly BS, this coming from a guy who fell for temple kung fu! I can't believe anyone was convinced by them. They claim to build their students so that they feel no pain, but I think they just condition them to be able to tolerate pain more. If you look closely at their face when they get hit, you can see the expression of pain, and the struggle to suppress it. It wasn't all bad, seeing that woman get hit in the groin was some of the funniest TV I've experienced I hate to bring up Temple mc fu twice in one post, but the clip of the form they were doing at the beginning of the segment was precisely like a temple KF form called temple 1. Maybe TKF is actualy juko-kai. The form coupled with the cult mentality, I'd say it almost has to be.
    I'm probably stepping on some toes when I say this, but I think aikido is the pro wrestling of martial arts. It looked as if all the techniques required the co-operation of both the attacker and defender. I probably shouldn't say anything about it, as I've never even seen aikido in action before today, but that was just how it looked to me.

No, I won't stop bumping this thread. Not until shaolinboxer answers my questions

yes, Yes and YES!!!

Originally posted by KungFuGuy!
    Yay, got home in time to watch the first half, which I missed last time.
    That juko stuff is blatantly BS, this coming from a guy who fell for temple kung fu! I can't believe anyone was convinced by them. They claim to build their students so that they feel no pain, but I think they just condition them to be able to tolerate pain more. If you look closely at their face when they get hit, you can see the expression of pain, and the struggle to suppress it. It wasn't all bad, seeing that woman get hit in the groin was some of the funniest TV I've experienced I hate to bring up Temple mc fu twice in one post, but the clip of the form they were doing at the beginning of the segment was precisely like a temple KF form called temple 1. Maybe TKF is actualy juko-kai. The form coupled with the cult mentality, I'd say it almost has to be.
    I'm probably stepping on some toes when I say this, but I think aikido is the pro wrestling of martial arts. It looked as if all the techniques required the co-operation of both the attacker and defender. I probably shouldn't say anything about it, as I've never even seen aikido in action before today, but that was just how it looked to me.

No, I won't stop bumping this thread. Not until shaolinboxer answers my questions
    We all know Juko-Kai is a friggin' joke, but is that what Shaolin fighting is? Fancy front-kick-to-back-kick-to-front-kick-to-a back-flip-and-a-round-off-leg-sweep? Is that REAL Shaolin combatives? It definitely looks like wushu (with no real wu). That junk is nowhere in the Wubezhi. Anyway how would a 55 year old practitioner do this mess? Athleticism only lasts when you are young and we are getting older every second! That "monk" with a wife (or 2) and kid has been bouncing around like that since he could walk. Most of his American students started when they were in their teens or older. They could never do what that guy does. It's like training in GJJ from 20-30 and getting a black belt. Will this BJJ BB be able to out grapple a Gracie or someone who has trained in THEIR art for a lifetime. I thinks not. Like I said before; there is only 1 true Shaolin style left and it ain't in Red China anywhere. It was/is taught on Taiwan, Malaysia, the Ryukyus/Okinawa (not Goju Ryu either) and in the West and Middle east, but not the PRC. Imperialists and Commies made sure of that.

As for Aikido: I liked that fat cat. He has good chi especially in his cheeks and stomach. You can tell by his weight control that he has truly mastered his mind and body. Someone that "svelte" obviously is not selfish. You know fat is one thing, but FAAAAAT-ARSE is another. The first lesson in self realization is understanding that you are but part of the whole not that you should weigh as much as the whole universe! Like Steven Seagal and Ueshiba's claims of projected ki and throws, it's all illusion. A pale semblance of the Samurai's fighting, effective and devastating jujutsu. We all know that though. 'Nuff said.

That special was a joke. There is no way that most karate BBs or Chuan Fa Sifu could hang with your typical Muay Thai or BJJ guys. That's just the plain truth. Hey I'm a karateka, but I'm honest.

Yan Ming

xie xie for bringing your culture to our nation. I was very lucky to be a part of the original tour that brought this person to the states. He was very helpful, to my older kung fu brother, and in just a short time, I was able to grasp some flavor of his history!

My experience with Yan Ming was positive and negative.

I can tell you my story, but who cares?

At the end of my training, when I was asked to leave the school for not obeying his orders (the straw that broke the camels back was when I asked a few of my fellow students to come to a house party I was having, without asking his permission first), he said to me "don't stop training".

I believe that he can be sincere in his will to teach, but his desire to create his own world at times defeats his ability to be a great teacher. And he is, by martial arts standards, still young.

At the same time, his physical kung fu is incredible and I stole/learned some great techniques from him and had some great times.

So will you enjoy training with him? He has the ability to create an environment in which you'll fell like a high flying kung fu master, and that can be great. But I think his training program (at the time I was training) lacked depth.

That's rather irregular, asking you to leave because you had a party...
    Thanks for answering my questions

More airplay for one of the best jokes ever on KFO and the all time bestest use of the word "ironic"

Originally posted by IronFist

I heard 5 or 6 years ago, when I first saw Juko-kai on Ripley's Believe it or Not (I think), that this Rod guy can't get it up. Haha, that's funny, his name is Rod. That's kind of ironic. Wait, no it's not.