Thread: Weights + Age

Post Weights + Age

What is the 'best/safest' age to start on weights? Is it true it stunts your growth during your teenage years etc...? Doesn't let your bones fully develop and so on? so is it better to start 16/18/21yo?

Thanks.

PS: Just out of nowhere, but how many chin-ups can you all do?

I would say don't start lifting heavy until 17 or 18.

While I usually don't train to failure, a month or so ago I just wanted to see how many chinups I could do, so I did one all out set and I got 15. That's palms facing me, hands less than shoulder width apart. I should also add that these were full reps, so my arms were completely straight in between each rep. Lots of people don't go down all the way.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

in the western world, the age would be 13. this goes with all sports taught in this region, it works. but if you are a MA`st not recommended AT ALL! Importance should be on Martial training with hopefully a good Shrfu! -Sai- are you a lifter or a MA person?

in the western world, the age would be 13

You mean for lifting weights? That might be what is taught, but it's not good advice. A 13 year old has just started puberty in some cases. Not a good time to be lifting weights.

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 04-09-2002 at 10:44 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Don't lift weights until you are fully developed, it will stunt your growth and have bad effects on your bones as they are still growing. I started lifting weights properly at 21, I felt ready when I was 18-19 but I left it and was glad I did. Remember it is often hard to put on any substantial amount of muscle anyway till you reach mid-20's and your metabolism slows down. Forget what anyone else says, it's your body, don't abuse it.

I don't recall any medical evidence saying that weight training at a young age will stunt your growth. I can be wrong though. How many chin ups can I do? Hmmm, a few months ago, I could do 12 good, all the way up and the way down till my arms were straight pull ups. My arms were slightly wider than shoulders. I don't know how much I can do now since I haven't tried it. I think I can do at least 13 by now. I don' t know about chin ups. Is it easier to do chinups than pull ups?

While the debate "rages on" (as they always do in the fitness industry...*sigh*) lifting does not seem to affect height or bone growth. Suggested keys to "kids" workouts...they should be old enough to follow and understand instructions; avoid "big" lifts with potential back involvement like squats, leg presses and overhead presses; lighter weights with higher reps and sets up to 2 total per body part.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!