Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 vs 4 video

Cheers Dark Knight.
    That definitely answers the question. All the experience you mention is stand up, apart from possibly the Jiu Jitsu. Any reason for that?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

“All the experience you mention is stand up, apart from possibly the Jiu Jitsu. Any reason for that? “

It just worked out that way.

I have been grappling for about 10 years now. I love to wrestle but I prefer to stay on my feet for fighting. When I spar with other we star fighting and go to ground fighting. Its a lot of fun, and gives you a feel for both standing and ground work.

I do a lot of standup fighting drill to keep the timing and power up. If you emphasize on one area the others will suffer. I’m a firm believer in hitting someone extremely hard. Also you should know what its like to get hit so your not shocked when it happens.

When I went for my third degree back in the 80’s I had to fight a kick boxer, he trained for 12 rounds where I trained for a 30 second street fight. After being slugged around for a while I grabbed him and kept him off balance while I hit him. I hit pretty hard but he was use to getting hit by people bigger and stronger than me. I eventually took him to the ground and did the ground and pound thing.
    After that I worked harder on my cardio and realized that if you cant beat someone at their own game you better have another game.

Today everyone is doing cross training. Its important not to be a one dimensional fighter. There is no one way that is the best way, and not everyone can make the same thing work. You may find that your current art work for you, but another approach works great for you.

BTW I do Japanese Ju-Jitsu not BJJ or GJJ. Not that it works better, it just worked out that the guy I train with currently does it. Prior to him I was with another Ju-Jitsu 9th that taught in his garage, that was in the early 90’s.