Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cung Le

Blog Entries

Cung Le

I heard the Cung Le did traditional Kung-Fu before he devoted himself to San Shou. What Kung-Fu system did he do?
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

traditional vietnamese kung fu, TKD and some wrestling…. That’s all I know…

Is Cung Le Vietnamese?

I thought he was from Hong kong.
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts, ...

William Shakespeare
    "As You Like It"
    Act 2, Scene 7

I think he did some TKD as a kid too..

Lightbulb Yup

He's 100% vietnamese. He came from saigon because of the war when we was very young. As you can tell his last name is Le, not Lee. This may not seem to be a big difference in english, but in vietnamese its a huge difference, and they have no relation. The translation is not the same. But, eh, who would have known if they weren't vietnamese. Chinese people have enough chinese names to worry about, so i doubt they would keep account of little differences like that in their mind (talking about the average man here).

And yes you can be 100% vietnamese. China came about from the combining of the 7 states (i think), vietnam was not part of that. Han ethnic came about from the Han dynasty which was considered the golden age of chinese history, this was when they decided to give themself a identity. And yes vietnam was not part of this either. Historical evidence shows that we are decendents of the Yueh and the Dong Son Culture, the Yueh were never assimilated thus not making them chinese (going as far as 200 bc before there was a china, and they were decended from the pre-dong son who are found to be 2000bc, their culture changed like architecture so they became the dong son). China then invaded vietnam, back then called Lac Viet that was when we established our own identity calling ourselves the kinh, which today are the majority ethnic group in vietnam. Hey we were peaceful, but then we started to war against the chinese, having approximately 20 wars in 2000 years. What a battered nation, involved in three wars in a century (vietnam war, indochinese war, second indochinese war, the indochinese wars were big, american supplied 1 billion dollars US every month to the French to beat the vietnamese, it's amazing the vietnamese won). And there is no common sense to call vietnamese, chinese when we already have our identity, like when the mongols conquered china, the chinese had their identity so they cannot be mongols unless they want to which is then a different matter.

Here's a post from someone from a different forum concerning culture

Originally posted by karaokegod from asianavenue

Well

The viets never broke off though, they were the Dong Son who were invaded by the chinese. I can see that the japanese came from the chinese or korean because the original inhabitants of japan weren`t the japanese today, and there is evidence that they came in after the chinese had their identity being more of a branch of the han than a separate branch like a brother branch. The vietnamese weren`t even considered chinese even to the ancient chinese through cultural differences, but the influence grew stronger, and now we`re very alike but we didn`t break off. You didn`t read the first page did you? It explains why we weren`t chinese. The people who started it weren`t chinese, they were mongoloids (no not mongols, just a name for yellow asians), they are not chinese, but the chinese are them, it`s like revolutionaries and communists, communists are revolutionaries, but revolutionaries aren`t communist. The mongoloid tribe broke off, some went to northern vietnam while alot stayed in china and started to spread out to areas like japan and korea. The ones who stayed in china weren`t chinese then, the term chinese was used when china was a whole and the cultures of the 7 states were mixed, vietnam wasn`t part of that mix thus they cannot be chinese. Han was a term they gave themselves when the Han emperor was in rule, vietnam wasn`t part of that either, we gave ourself a different name, viet. We could be related through the mongoloid tribe but how did a branch become the tree? Think of the mongoloids as a tree which gave birth to a whole bunch of branches (Han or chinese, viets or kinh, korean, or japanese.). The Han and Kinh are children of the mongoloids, thus we are brothers, how then did the chinese suddenly became the father (or tree) they cold give birth to leaves (branches that grew off them, like the cantonese or the manderin, yeah i know they`re languages but i can`t think of an ethnic right now) but still they cannot be the tree. The vietnamese lived along side the chinese and was never assimilated until after the vietnamese named themselves and the chinese named themselves so we already had an identity. The vietnamese are believed to be the Dong Son or the Yueh, but the Yueh were never assimilated they moved south and avoided the assimilation so they were never part of the chinese civilization.

I posted this somewhere else but it`s relevent to this subject
    Because 2k years ago, when we warred with the chinese and lost they tried to assimilate us, our culture was different, we were lighter and brighter, with toes a bit different than theirs. Our toes were more spread apart, and more movable, they blamed losing to us numerous time while being outnumbered and having few weapons on this. They say that we had an advantage, and our toes makes us run faster, stronger and have more endurances, while they were the ones with the advantage, with the fact that they have always outnumbered us in military (the one they sent), in weapons and it`s advancement. Even after decades of attempted assimilation, we never married them and had offspring, not unless it`s a rape. They saw us as primitive, they hated our bright and light skin color, they hated our toes, they hated our culture. They didn`t want to tante their pure Han blood, and didn`t want a mix for a son/daughter. We in return always thought they were stupid, weak, ignorant, and fools (a result of hatred, not necessarily true, and probably not, just telling you what they thought). We in turn didn`t want to incorporate that in our blood, it was forbidden to marry chinese, and forbidden to marry cham (related to khmer but not them). It was low for a chinese man/women to marry a vietnamese (kinh, the ones originating from the ancient dong-son culture, and they in turn came from the ancient dong-son culture, this culture is traced to 3000 bc, some say to be even ****her than the chiense, extremely peaceful nation, then the chinese invaded making us fight). So not many intermarried, and those who did, were shut out of the vietnamese community, and those who did in the chinese community lost face and dignity. Only after the 1900`s did they started to marry the chinese, and it happened at a CRAZY rate. They were then accepted after centuries of living in the south (the chinese were afraid of living in the north, and in the central or southeast, as even now they still hate chinese.) Now so many viets are part chinese people tend to think it happened milleniums ago, but for a fact only 30% of the kinh are even part chinese or anything else, the other 70% of them are pure kinh, that`s why you see so many light skinned and bright, but living in the middle between the tropic of cancer and equator kind of makes you dark. But when my uncle came from vietnam i thought he was cambodian, but after two months we became REALLY light, almost like a white guy, and bright too. And the kinh make up 90% of the vietnamese population. There`s 3% chinese (not of any vietnamese blood) comming during the minh period. Those statistics were taken before the war, by the emperor Bao Dai, he was curious, and demanded everyone to examine there books till the end usually reaching a max of 1900, and it turned out that there were only 70% of the kinhs to be pure, and there were 30% of a mix. The kinh at the time made up 890% of the nations population. Everyone in vietnam keeps a lineage book, kept by the head of the family (under him can be thousands of people), my dad would have been the head, but the war came and he left, now his brother keeps it.
    Smart guy, young though, he's like 15 years old, like me.

Oh just an fyi (for your information), you know because someone might just say something ignorant like,"what's the diff? aren't they the same?" I don't like that.
    Last edited by Mister Hansome; 04-11-2002 at 05:59 PM.
    if you never get into a fight,
    you can never be defeated,
    if you can never be defeated,
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

what is a tree without its roots? what is a man without his arts?

Suicide is the cowards way out...

Lightbulb Aiya

I don't know how movable our feets are but i do see some more space between the toes. My toes are weird. My skin is bright and light, hey in north america it's nice to have a tan, so it's a dissadvantage in the way that i need a tan sometimes. Hey some people think that the vietnamese are dark, but that's because of the south. Most people in the south have malay or khmer (cambodian) blood in them, or cham (later assimilated into our southern ethnic, many still are around though). Like the vietnamese in america and canada are darker, because usually the south would leave. It's also hard to not be dark when you usually live in california or something or in vietnam (between the equator and tropic of cancer). AHHH, why am i talking about this in a KF forum? Darn, nevermind, i just kept on babbling, sorry. Got to go back to the other forums so i can say stuff that makes sense to someone, eh.

Well bottom line, Cung Le is awesome.
    Last edited by Mister Hansome; 04-11-2002 at 05:57 PM.
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it,
    but it’s ____ when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place. Louis L’Armour

Blog Entries
    So what exactly is Vietnamese Kung-fu? I wasn't aware that there was a Vietnamese martial art. Does anyone know more about this?

thanks!
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Most viet arts I've seen are just hybrid of chinese and some karate stuff. They don't claim to be original so it's nothing special.
    A

"Oh just an fyi (for your information), you know because someone might just say something ignorant like,"what's the diff? aren't they the same?" I don't like that."

yeah, I hate that too…

dude… thanks for the history lesson… I didn't know half of that stuff…. 15 huh??… and is that toes thang for real????

The fact of the matter is that Cung Le does not have any kung fu experience worth speaking of. He does say that he studied "vietnamese kung fu" for a couple yrs, but here are the facts: He was a wrestler, he was black belt in TKD and competed, and once he started down the kickboxing/san shou road he picked up some muay thai tools. He is not a kung fu guy.

What style is the vietnamese kung fu? Kung fu isn't a style, right?

You can't name cung le's kung fu style cuase he doens't have one.

Kung fu is pathetic. A TKD black belt and wrestler dominates the kung fu guys at their own game of san shou. And san shou itself is not kung fu but just american kickboxign and wrestling.

Lightbulb Hey

Vietnamese kung fu mainly came from china thousands of years ago. The transfer was gradual, like having a student or two, and then the master would let them roam the world to learn on their own. And then vietnam and china started to war again, so they went home and the two sides didn't interact much, the vietnamese side evolving on its own and the chinese side still getting influences from turkey and such. That about it, vietnam does have some indigenous styles from the mountain peoples, but that a different matter. Today in vietnam, we they usually go for tae kwon do. There is actually very little karate influence, mostly kung fu. The first interaction the vietnamese had with the japanese were with their pirates, so we learned how to use farm tools to counter their swords. Mainly peaceful nation except for interaction with the chinese army, and then the french army. They usually don't even care about style, what's a style? A system to help you move better, or fight better, or have better health or etc... Learning a style would help, but that doesn't mean you can't fight if you don't.

Hey suntzu, yeah it seems to be a bit true. My toes are a bit weird, there is a bit more space in-between the toes, but as i said the chinese army probably brought it up to make it seem that they lost because we had an advantage. Well, c'mon, how can we have an advantage when we are the one always outnumbered by 3 in combat, when our weapons are outdated, and our armer is non-existant. They just pick up on the differences to try to justify things, everyone does that though.
    you are invincible

I AM INVINCIBLE!!!

vietnamese kung fu

well, there's a kwoon in Philly run by temple-trained master of Than Vo Dao, he calls it "7 mountain Spirit Fist" He was arrested during the vietnam war along with the monks but managed to escape. Anyway, this particular style looks awesome. The story, as far as I remember, is that Chinese Kung fu came down maybe 2 thousand years ago, spread through Burma, became influenced by Burmese religion, then crossed the 7 mountains into Vietnam. It originally was only based on Chinese Kung Fu but a lot of indigenous arts made there way in there too. At the highest, spirtual level of the art, supposedly you call one of 36 historical spirit warriors who you have chosen to guide you in battle. The stances and fist shapes clearly show the kung fu connection, but you can also see the uniqueness and other influences of the art.

There is a more common form of Vietnamese kung fu, also called Viet Vo Dao something or other. And there are more recent imports that came with Chinese immigration in this century.

Hey look, I got a website:
    www.sevenmountainskungfu.com

-fj

The truth is that Cung Le has 3 styles: Taekwondo, Wrestling, Muay thai

The TKD is very evident in his style which includes a lot of spinning back kicks, flying scissors, axe kicks, side kicks.

The wrestling is very evident. He is a supplexing machine. He rememinds me of Dan Severn in UFC #4.

The Muay thai is very evident. He actually throws the techniques.

There is no kung fu moves used in his fights(imagine that!). However he uses TKD, wrestling, muay thai like it's bread and butter.

Watch the fights. Then tell me otherwise. Is this the ultimate embarrasment for kung fu? A TKD black belt destroying traditional kung fu stylists?

Stacey Guest
    So what? Its kickboxing made by the prissy commie dancers to pretend that they still knew kung fu....well its not.

NHB is better for KF, or kua shu. The fact that you can't elbow is rediculous.

BTW Ralek, I can name every throw and kick he does with the kung fu name...he is doing kung fu...he has also picked up a lot of chinese techs.