Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DFW! OK! TX! LA! Attention!

DFW! OK! TX! LA! Attention!

If you haven't already heard....there's an amateur MMA event being held on April 27th, in Balch Springs, Texas. There will be ten fights total at this event, and a few demonstrations. We have fighters from the following systems:
    Muay Thai
    Submission Wrestling
    Shotokan Karate
    Brazilian JJ
    Shorin Ryu
    Greco Roman Wrestling
    Kung Fu
    Baek Ho Kwan (White Tiger)
    Tae Kwon Do
    Freestyle

All fighting each other! Limited rules, lots of action. Well worth the trip. Balch Springs is immediately to the east of Dallas, so it's very close to the metroplex. KFO people are coming from Midland and Austin. For more info check the web site www.geocities.com/tushkaitishe or email me.
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    What kung fu styles are in
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

i guess the White Tiger... Bak Fu Kuen? Bei Hu Quan?

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

styles

the white tiger listed is i believe a mix of korean and japanese styles founded by a guy from houston area. he stopped by our school out here when he was on vacation or something a while back. i think the name of the style is korean for white tiger gym or something. not related to our kung fu style, but still a nice guy.
    I love the smell of iron palm in the morning, it smells like.... victory

ok thanks. i thought it was just bad romanization

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Actually, the White Tiger is Baek Ho Kwan (Korean for gym of the White Tiger). My system. It will be on display three times at this event.

I'm not sure exactly what system of Kung Fu these fighters are. They are out of the Weapons At Hand school in Corpus Cristi. The instructor is Stay Jorgensson. I've talked to him on the phone once and emailed him several times. He's very down to earth and sounds like he knows the score. I'm looking forward to working with him.

We may also have a Wing Tsun Demo. The assistant ref is a Wing Tsun Technician, as is one of the judges.

See you guys there.
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

well, speak of the devil ;)

it's the man himself starting the post. sounds like a great event, wish i could make it. best of luck, and it was nice meeting you when you came by the school.

D
    I love the smell of iron palm in the morning, it smells like.... victory

Actually....It wasn't me. There are several of us out there using the name White Tiger. I generally use Baek Ho Kwan or White Tiger Fighting Arts to distinguish what we do. Though we also use Korean and some Japanese, we also borrow (steal) from Chinse, Phillipino and Brazilian arts as well. I'm a shameless burglar when I find good info. But hey, I'm also a pretty nice guy....I think. Wish you could make it though.

"A good instructor is also a good thief." Jhoon Rhee making reference to an instructor's ablility to see the value in all arts and being open enough to change and improve.
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

Great news! David Lesser, a Wing Tsun instructor from Midland will be presenting a demonstration at the event as well. Anyone from KFO coming?
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

I cant seem to access the page.
    Can you cut & paste the info?

Thanks!
    Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Let me try to post it one more time:

www.geocities.com/tushkaitishe

Did that one work for you?
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

Badger, did that help?
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

C. Martin, I have a question concerning this proposed "Women's Division". First, the link to the info doesn't work, please fix it. Second, am I reading this correctly - you are going to restrict women to a segregated division, regardless of their ability?

From what I'm reading, if I show up to your little party, I won't be allowed to fight in the Semi-Pro division regardless of my combat ability, correct? I'll be stuck fighting the one or two other girls who may or may not show up, yes?

What's the problem with letting women fight in exactly the same manner as the men? If they lose, they lose, that's a part of learning and improving. If they win, they win, give them their due. If they don't want to get in the ring with a guy (or vice versa) that's totally their prerogative. What's with the segregation?
    Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

Jasbourne......

I'm somewhat confused by your question, but first, thanks for letting me know that link to the women's division isn't working.

Is your contention is that I am dicriminating against women for not allowing them to fight the men? Women's matches, none of which are scheduled for this event due to a lack of interest, are conducted with exactly the same rules as the men's. If you are proposing that I allow women to fight in the same division as the men, I can not in good concious entertain that notion. If ever approached by a women who insisted on fighting a male fighter, I'd have to approach the male fighters to see who would be willing. Several problems arise, in this order of importance:
    1. What man would want to take a full contact match against a woman of similar size and skill who isn't a sadist or wife beater?
    2. If a man did take the match, and he didn't meet the above qualifications, would he be able to give it his all, or would he be holding back out of a Victorian sense of honor?
    3. On the very remote chance that a female of similar weight and experience could get a man to fight her, why on earth would he take the slim chance that she may actually beat him? The female fighter has nothing to loose, as the logic will be, "Oh, it's ok, she lost to a guy."

However, if you are interested in fighting in the "party" I'm hosting, and you want to fight in the same division as the men, I'll be more than happy to find you opponent of the same weight and experience. If you should choose to take a match, you will have to sign the same waiver as the men, and your opponent will show you no quarter. This is a combative sport. Can you think of another heavy contact sport where men and women compete against each other? This would not include point sparring.
    C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

However, if you are interested in fighting in the "party" I'm hosting, and you want to fight in the same division as the men, I'll be more than happy to find you opponent of the same weight and experience. If you should choose to take a match, you will have to sign the same waiver as the men, and your opponent will show you no quarter. This is a combative sport. Can you think of another heavy contact sport where men and women compete against each other? This would not include point sparring.
    I realize that very few women study martial arts for its combat applications, but some do, and they are quite exquisitely aware of what they face in the arena. That's really the bottom line, and I'm glad to hear that should I choose to participate I would be afforded exactly the same chance to do so that anyone else would have. That's what I wanted to know, thank you for clarifying.

As to the rest of the considerations, will all due respect, that's bullsh!t on a stick, buddy. Anyone who wants me to hold myself back because some boy's feelings might be hurt if I'm better than him can bite me. Move on up to the 21st century, ok? We have indoor plumbing and everything now
    Last edited by JasBourne; 04-13-2002 at 09:52 PM.
    Nolite irasci, aequiperate.