Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Choy Li Fut

Choy Lay Fut

Just asking for information on Choy Lay Fut and if there any good schools/teachers in Surrey in England of Choy Lay Fut or other styles of Shaolin kung fu.

Thanks for any help.

See AlecM profile, there you will find a link to more info about CLF in UK.

thats the linkhttp://alecmorris.topcities.com/main.htm

Choy Li Fut

I've got the opportunity to train in this style for a while, and I'm just wondering what people think of it? It's quite expensive, so I want to be sure I'm gonna get into it if I'm gonna start paying. Also, I'm not sure how well I'd gel with it (from the guy I spoke to's description, the forms are *really* extensive, and I tend to prefer forms to be relatively short and to the point).

Also, this is the website of the club I'd be training at:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kungfu/HY_england.htm

Does anyone who does or has done Choy Li Fut have any comments about the club, based on prior knowledge, or the (admittedly fairly limited) info offered on the site?

Thanks a lot to anyone who takes the time to respond,
    Sasha

I made a reply to this in the main forum. However, you will probably get more responses here.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of this school before, apparently it is associated with Doc Fai Wong.

I would recommend calling Doc Fai Wong headquarters in San Fran and make sure that this school has been certified by Doc Fai Wong to teach.

Therer are many people that after attending one or two seminars go on to "teach" the style and claim to be taught by such and such master.

There is another big red flag going up here because it is very expensive. Kung Fu training should not be very expensive.

And BTW, karate and CLF do not go very well together. This is a bit suspect.

I'd do a little more research and ask some more questions.

Anyone happen to have an email addy for Doc Fai Wong? Calling San Francisco for any kind of in depth discussion would probably cost as much as a year's training anyway

www.plumblossom.net (DFW)
    Even if this guy's legit, he's not very good.
    Check out www.zhengdaolo.com
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Just checked plum blossom's school listing and apparently they're legit. How expensive is expensive?
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I think the cost he said was £75 initial payment for lifetime membership/equipment, and then basically £5 a lesson (paid monthly - £20 if you were planning to attend once a week, £40 if twice, and beyond that I'm not sure).

At my current club I pay the basic cost of equipment as and when I want to get it (apart from the uniform which is mandatory), and £20 a month for unlimited lessons, so maybe I'm a bit spoilt

The first link is broken btw. Was there anything important on it? And what was the significance of the second (besides having a brief description of Choy Li Fut)? I couldn't see anything about this particular club...
    Last edited by Sasha; 01-02-2003 at 05:42 PM.

too expensive, you can buy a car with a year of training...

well korean and used.
    Last edited by JAZA; 01-02-2003 at 08:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    75 english pounds equals 119 U.S. dollars

40 pounds is around 65 dollars a month

That sounds fairly reasonable, a bit on the expensive side.

Just to give you an idea it costs around 70 dollars to sign up at our school which includes uniform and insurance.

Then it's 85 dollars a month for unlimited lessons (you can go up to 10 classes a week. )

So a bit on the expensive side but doesn't sound like a scam or anything.

Can you go try a free lesson?

The first link should work just type it into your navbar.
    The second one has classes in West Kent. The initial 75 is steep, but you do get gear with it. The class price is about average.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

What made you say he's not very good?

Yeah, you can book 1 free lesson in advance.

The photo (although to be fair, photos can be somewhat unflattering, but then why put it on your site?)
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Uhh... sorry if I'm being slow, but which photo?