Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Choy Li Fut

the pic

Sasha...

there is a pic of the senior instructor at the bottom of the page that you put onto this thread.

It isn't really that flattering and doesn't give the impression that you might see on websites such as Master Edmond Ng's.

R

CLF sets are long but you don't need many of them to get an understanding of the style. You can take a few sets and look deep within then and have enough things to fight with.

kung fu books --

Thumbs up I agree with Ben Gash

Originally posted by Ben Gash
    The photo (although to be fair, photos can be somewhat unflattering, but then why put it on your site?)
    That picture does'nt look like he has very good stance training.Choy Lay Fut is a Southern China style that has good foundation.He does'nt look like he has a very good foundation.Pictures can be deceiving so i would'nt put much to it ,but he looks more like a begining student than a sifu.Also a third degree black belt in kung fu i've never heard that one before.Doc Fei Wong is known for his Choy Lay Fut so check with him about this sifu.In any case be careful there are many fakes out there in this world.

jmd
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Re: I agree with Ben Gash

Originally posted by jmd161

Also a third degree black belt in kung fu i've never heard that one before.
    jmd
    Whatcha mean?

Confused again

[edit] Out of curiousity, can you be more specific about what's wrong with his stance? I'm bad enough at telling my own in real life, never mind someone else's from photos.
    Last edited by Sasha; 01-04-2003 at 09:08 PM.

Question It depends on the school i guess?

Sasha ,

I could be wrong but i don't know of any Choy Lay Fut school that uses a ranking system ,but then again it could be something they have at that school.

Choy Lay Fut is an awesome style look into it.If he's legit it will be well worth the money.When i started with my sifu it was 75.00 per hr.We usually worked out about 5 hrs each time.Now he teaches me for free so you never know what will happen.I say the best thing to do is e-mail Doc Fei Wong and ask him.If this guy is for real and claims Doc Fei Wong is his sifu .Then Doc Fei Wong should know who he is.

jmd

少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

rankings

Hey I know that it is unusual but some of the clubs here..including Hong Kong based wing chun clubs use belt rankings including "dan " rankings. You hear of 7th degree black belts in kung fu etc. Sad really.

Funny thing...about 15 years ago a Japanese stylist named Dave Lowry wrote about the use of BS names......some were using names in the martial arts that were reserved for dead masters of the Kabuki theatre (ROTFLMAO)! Now adays you just accept it as part of the marketing spin some associations use.

As I said before Sasha.... go and see what they do. Also look for another CLF club to compare them with.

(Oh yeah...Lau gar system uses extensive belt rankings for colour and black belts so Sasha wouldn't find the 3rd dan BB in CLF unusual)

Cheers, R

Thumbs up

K, thanks for all the helps guys

At the end of the day, the guy is an official representative of DFW. Therefore even if he doesn't look great himself, he should have all the knowledge (you don't need to be a great track runner to train olympic champions).
    Whether or not you have degrees of black sash or not is no indicator of how good your kung fu is. There are plenty of schools out there that have no belt system in the traditional manner but absolutely suck or teach made up kenpo. There are also clubs that have a very detailed grading system that teach very good traditional kung fu (DFW's school being a good example of this).
    Belts do not equal McDojo. Sanitised, watered done martial arts with a lack of application, teaching of forms as close to a dance form and black belt production lines equal McDojo.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Aviod!

Avoid these people like a risin capsule!

Although they have an affiliation to DFW the standards are appalling.

I agree that grades are no indication of skill though.
    Many traditional CMA'a now use grading systems designed for the western student.
    Even PRC are stating that their wushu masters are 7th degree level etc now.

Sasha,
    Where about are you going to study? coz I should be able to help you in finding somewhere decent.
    I know some excellent Chow Gar guys here in London and SE.

So if this group are the only thing near you when you are at uni than i'd suggest a course of TaeBo coz at least you know what you're getting!

cheers
    Colin.......
    http://www.laugar.org.uk
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

Question

Colin, do you say that from prior experience? Can you be a bit more specific about why you don't like them, cos I've checked on the net and there really doesn't seem to be much choice in the area.

If you can find anything it'd be really helpful, but everything else round here seems to be Karate/TKD, which I'm really not interested in. I'm studying in Canterbury (Kent), though to clarify I'm actually in my final year here, so I'm not really looking for a new style to start so much as something to keep me in practice for the rest of the time I'm here (there's a good chance I'll end up staying on emore year to do a masters).

Again, check out www.zhengdaolo.com . Go to venue and go to the bottom of the page. Barry Phelan teaches in Cantebury on Wednesdays. Barry's a very nice guy, a good fighter and he's trained in China.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ok, I see him, but I don't see any details about what kind(s) of Kung Fu he teaches, or how to contact him (or even where Longport Hall is)?

Am I missing something? Could you fill me in?

If it just says kung fu then it'll be a general kung fu lesson, and you can discuss what you want to learn with Barry.
    I have no idea where the hall is, I live in Swindon (the assumption is kind of that if you live in Cantebury you'll be able to find it).
    You can try calling Barry on 0976807526, but I've had that number for a while.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Choy Lay Fut...

wondering what they represent in the art itself. Like leverages, punches, kicks, throws,etc. What does Choy have in it, etc.

:)

Hello.

I am not choy lay fat clan .. so please forgive me but:
    i think u misunderstand....

i know what ur thinking but the "choy lay fat" is not like choy gar "style" , lay (lee) gar "style" etc...

choy lay fat (choy lee fut) is peoples name...

founder of choy lay fat named his style after his 2 teachers choy + lay .. Fat come from buddha name ...

i have not explain properly but u get an idea and i start the ball rolling

their are long deep practitioners of choy lay fat in this forum so they will explain more clearly hopefully and correct me if i am wrong..

Last edited by 5thBrother; 03-14-2003 at 04:54 AM.