Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred style?

I disagree to a point. Some (most , probably) ma's favor one type of body over another.

I'd say that a TKD'er is better off being tall and leggy with strong legs while someone who does Animal KF is better to be shorter and bulk-ier with a strong upper body.

I'd take a Martial Artist with some "street experience" over just a regular guy with more "street experience" , since the MA'er actually has some sort of plan and system , while the other guy is just flying on pure talent for fighting.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Good point Sharky

"I fear the smallest bouncer in the club. Or the ones that don't look hard.
    Why? Cos you know they are there for a reason; and it ain't cos they look hard - so they must be the shi.t."

I had a sensei tell me that in a bad neighborhood he didn't fear the guy with all the scars on his face, but the guy in the nice suit picking his teeth with switchblade.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Northern Mantis. You say your tired of my lies? I think that you are tired of my truths, not my lies. I don't lie on this forum. Everything i do is truth. I fought shaolin tiger. I went to cooper park and can describe the park in detail but JF Spring never showed up.

If you do not like my truths that is fine. No many kung fu stylists enjoy learning their styles fighting record agaisnt other martial arts. UFC, EFC, IFC. Kung fu has failed in these arenas. If you think it's a lie then make sure you see it before you disbelieve it.

Time for your nap, Ralek. Go dream some more about the ultimate video-fu school you are opening and all the kungfu losers you will beat up with your invincible skillz.

Back on topic: We have all sizes and body types in my wingchun school, and there seems to be no set physical criteria for who is good and who is not. Each fighter adapts the principles to work with his/her own body and preference.

There's a huge fella, like 6' 8" and 280 lbs, solid as a rock, arms like a gorilla. His rooting is so incredibly solid he doesn't have to do a whole lot. He uses his strength and solidity to his advantage - if you cannot avoid him, he will hurt you. There's another fella, he's like 5'6" and 160lbs. He is fast, very fast, and his structure is excellent. *zip*WHAM* he's inside and you're hurting. When he fights the big guy, he uses the fact that he's shorter and lighter to his total advantage, literally climbing all over this big bear of a man.

There's another guy, he's average size and weight, very very good wingchunner, but he loves to box and grapple, so if you let him get in too close, he'll punch the beejesus out of you, and if he can, he'll take you down just because its fun for him.

Each of these guys is completely different. All of them are nasty fighters, you would seriously not want to face them on the street. Each of them is an excellent wingchunner, yet they each look and move differently when using their style.

Fighter, not style, although style must definitly work in order for fighter to find it useful. That's my two yen.
    Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

Originally posted by Gold Horse Dragon
    FEAR...has no place in a confrontation...if you have fear...then you are 50% of the way to losing...great warriors do not fight in anger, fear or any other emotion...they defend themselves in calmness, awareness and wisdom...with their years of having training correctly doing the rest.
    Yeah that sounds good, but in the real world people feel fear. It
    is a defense mechanism, a standard physiological function that
    can't just be turned on and off at will. Though there probably are some exceptions.
    "Courage is the moment when ordinary beings become extraordinary beings."-Brian Jacques

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but rising every time we fall."-Confucius

Golden Horse Dragon

Don't mean to be rude, but I think you've been watching to many MA movies. It's human nature to fear. We are not robots. Sure you can train yourself to be calm, but don't mistake that for not HAVING fear or being afraid. It doesn't matter IF you fear.What matters is what you do in the face of fear.

I hate fighting "sturdy" guy with a low center of gravity. In a bad neighborhood, fear the old/older man. Only thing you can be sure of, is that he is a survivor.

Fear

I my opinion, if you fear your opponent you have already lost the fight. Your fear will lead to hesitation, and ultimatly effect your performance. Have faith in your ability and what your sifu has taught you, your power, speed and accuracy will then be to its full potential.

I would fear ANY guy that has knuckles that stick out like spikes and massive cauliflower ears with a twisted nose that is running low on cartilage.
    Besides that the one time I crapled my pantaloons was one night my friend mouthed off to this guy for staring at his girl a little too long and when we came out of the store there were 20 more all wearing the same color clothes. It took some silver tongue-fu to get out of that and the whole time we were walking away I expected to hear a click-click boom.
    Dont think Ive ever been happier to get in my car and drive off.
    1. Know the positions
    2. Hold positions
    3. Escape the positions
    4. Move from position to position
    5. Learn the attacks
    6. Counter the attacks
    7. Time on the mat
    a. drilling
    b. sparring
    8. Repeat (thanks R.D.)

I find for the most part, people who argue about style are trying to convince themselves that they are on the right path....

Nobodies said it but I will seeing as how I started this thread. I fear most any person adept in any form of internal boxing.
    I'd laugh at a BJJ guy who thinks he's the **** cause the biased rules in UFC give his style a winning advantage.
    Train hard, live long and prosper.

The only rules in the early UFC's that Royce Gracie fought in were NO EYE POKING and NO BITING. Everything else was legal. You could punch testicles(happened), break legs(happened), crush throats(legal but never happened), or whatever else you can imagine that does't involve eye poking or biting.

This does not favor a grappler. This does not favor a striker. These are not biased rules. This is the absence of every single rule in the book except for 2. And kung fu guys fight better with fewer rules right?

But kung fu has lost in the NO RULES challenge matches that BJJ guys have. NO RULES favors the superoir style. Buy a video called "Gracie Jiujiitsu in Action Part 2". You will see a little skinny BJJ guys destroy big kung fu guys with no rules. There are no restrictions on any techniques. Yes it's 1 vs. 1 so it's technically not a street fight as there are no people shooting machine guns at you but it proves who is the better fighter.

Gracie Jiujitsu in action Part 1 is good too but it doens't have any kung fu guys in it. Kung fu has lost in both NO RULES challenge matches and VERY FEW RULES NHB fights. It has proven itself a losing style. You can't argue with results.

Ralek, you don't know the dangers - legal and financial - of fighting.

Real martial artists of true skill know better than to talk trash at others.

I'll say it politely: curb your tongue because the next kung fu man you talk trash about just might bring a gun and shoot you dead at the designated time of challenge. Or his friends might jump you all at once.

So Ralek, don't let your juvenile bravado get you into a LIFETHREATENING situation. Do what you will, but I'm trying to HELP YOU, not hurt you.

You are too good a martial artist to throw your life way.

LOL

They won't know who i am. If i go to a challenge match and see 50 guys standing in the special place where i'm supposed to meet then i'll just leave and pretend i'm an ordinary person.

Trust me. No one is going to shoot me. I'm just too wicked cool. Shaolin Tiger was really mad at me and said he would break my legs in his post. And he was really mad at the park. But then when he met me he calmed down becuase i'm just so wicked cool. Then we fought and I easily elbow-knee escpaed him dispite the fact that he is a national level san shou fighter.
    Last edited by Ralek; 04-13-2002 at 08:52 PM.