Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground fighting from a kf viewpoint

Originally posted by jon

Honestly if you really think you CANT be taken down your deluding yourself.
    Very true. I have been taken down many times myself but however it is possible to mainaint your root. Just letting you know that. To tell the truth I thought you were going to start with the I've been converted and 90% of the fights got to the ground speech (which is a lie). I've met people who are on both extremes of the spectrum when one says he can't be taken down while the other claims that every fight goes to the ground.

Instead of people saying "x" % of fights go to the ground they should say how "x" % of people decide to to take the fight to the ground.. In any fight the loser will almost always fall or get knowcked down. If the other fighter decides to go down there with him is a different story.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 04-14-2002 at 11:11 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Jon,
    Here is one of my favorite sites. It shows a lot of takedowns and techniques. Pretty cool site and no gi to boot.-ED

http://www.geocities.com/josephgarza/archives
    "jooo jeestu's lika sex bro, you godda put your heeps to eet."
    -Megaton

I see your points Jon ,I've been considering learning some (more - my Mantis Sifu does some ground) ground from a regular wresler ,not a BJJ'er (I wouldn't if they were the last MA on Earth. . .).

But seriously, I know this sounds disgusting, but couldn't you , in an actual situation , just SINK your teeth into his neck AKA Vampire Lestat Ryu , or do some Hanabal Lector Fu and bite off his face?

"To answer the idea that im now turning to BJJ, NO im not"

yes you are! heratic! lol
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

"But seriously, I know this sounds disgusting, but couldn't you , in an actual situation , just SINK your teeth into his neck AKA Vampire Lestat Ryu , or do some Hanabal Lector Fu and bite off his face? "

Its a great idea, but the BJJ, Sambo, JJJ ...guys alresdy expected that years ago (hundreds of years for Japanese Ju-Jitsu) and do nthe techniques based on some one trying to bite them or reach for the eyes.

Experience is the best teacher. Everyone should find out by experience, not by what somone thinks.

Originally posted by Dark Knight
    "Its a great idea, but the BJJ, Sambo, JJJ ...guys alresdy expected that years ago (hundreds of years for Japanese Ju-Jitsu) and do nthe techniques based on some one trying to bite them or reach for the eyes.

Experience is the best teacher. Everyone should find out by experience, not by what somone thinks.
    er, actually, Classical JJ was made for Samurai In armour. Hence the absence of many Eye striking or biting techs.

I don't know anything at all about Sambo , so I'll leave that. . .

Classical JJ as far as I know alternates between standing and ground ,so it dosen't really fall victim to the Vapire Syndrome.

A BJJ man would porbably have chunks taken out of him by a HLKF practitioner. (But would this change the outcome...)?
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Yeah, interesting.

I'd like to have a go on the ground, just to see how crap I am.
    I'd be interested to learn some basics. Don't know if I'd want to put too much time into it though.

But defenses, counters and a few holds would be good.

First: The bottom line is that if you can't fight on the ground, generally, you're not a very good fighter.

Second: There are people who naturally have exceptional balance, and are very difficult to take down. So it is very believable when one poster wrote that some grapplers had a hard time taking him down even though he was of much smaller stature. However, to tone those standup/clinch skills, one still needs to do some grappling. Sooner or later you'll meet a decent grappler (someone beyond highschool level experience) who will read your body so well that he will take you down at will. Sensitivity and body reading is something grapplers do well.

Third: One doesn't really have to get hurt grappling even when training for NHB. If your partners aknowledge being tapped and hit, one doesn't really have to hit hard. You can get cheap grappling gloves and just tap the head and body allowing your apponent to know that he is being controlled, and struck. When practicing submissions, its a good idea to at first practice catch and release (nothing stranious).

Fourth: I think where most CMA schools miss the grappling game is when they begin teaching untested submissions and untested take downs. The key to grappling is controlling positioning on the ground, reversals, pressure, and sensitivity. Physics and knowledge of leverage is far more important than a collection of joint locks some CMA teach claiming to be teaching ground fighting.

Fifth: I'm glad you had the experience with ground fighting that you did. I think that most who try ground grappling with skilled grapplers think, "I can't believe I missed such a large component of combat." One also learns patience, pain control, fear managing, and developes a very strong sense of confidence (from knowledge that what he learned, he tested and can use). Some realize that had they not studied grappling, they would have been tapping out too quickly. Others incorporate ground control and submissions into their CMA arsenal. In any case, an individual discovers a whole new crucial demention to fighting.
    MA fanatic

Someone mentioned Japanese JJ. I have to say that when put against a BJJ practitioner is a one on one fight, a JJ guy will lose. JJ does not teach any points of control on the ground. JJ is virtually untested (at least in over 100 years). JJ has numerous techniques but they are taught in a vacume (against students who cooperate with one another, uncontested classes with virtually no sparring). I have known a few jj black belts who would get tossed around by a friend of mine who is a Judoka. Though Judo came from JJ, it is the way it is practiced (contested techniques and full resistance training) that makes it presently surperior. Many masters will aknowledge that should kodokan Judoka meet a JJ practitioner, the Judoka would have no difficulty what so ever in throwing the JJ guy, and/or submitting him. I practice BJJ now, and we often have guys from Japanese JJ, Hapkido, Aikido and some who practice Chin Na come in to our practice session. It only takes them one class to realize that they can't pull off a single submission attempt from their arts. Why? Because they never practiced the technique properly (contested, with none cooperating partner trying to submitt or strike them), and their positioning is all off.
    MA fanatic

good for you sounds like you have a good teacher and class...

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

From time to time I hear CMA say, "if only we would be allowed to use eye gouging and biting, we could defeat grapplers." I used to think that way myself. Nothing could be further from the truth. You never want to grapple an experienced grappler who is permited to bite or eye gouge. In a contest such as that, it is the CMA who would be blinded and/or torn to shreads. Also, eye attacks, and even biting is are not as easy to pull off. Most just talk about them, and hardly practice them. I think most CMA guys should just grapple instead of finding reasons why they have a chance on the ground with a superior grappler.

As for grappling tapes, I strongly suggest video aids by Marco Lala. They are jammed backed with techniques, excellent quality
    and organized. He also sells his tapes for 19.95. I have most grappling tapes on the market. I own all of Marco Lala's.
    www.fightingsecrets.com. Another excellent instroctor is Erik Paulson. www.erikpaulson.com For solo conditioning for grappling, I'd also with www.amerRoss.com Actually, all instructors have 'conditioning for grappling' tapes well worth the money.
    MA fanatic

Originally posted by MA fanatic
    Someone mentioned Japanese JJ. I have to say that when put against a BJJ practitioner is a one on one fight, a JJ guy will lose. JJ does not teach any points of control on the ground. JJ is virtually untested (at least in over 100 years). JJ has numerous techniques but they are taught in a vacume (against students who cooperate with one another, uncontested classes with virtually no sparringMA fanatic
    It all depends on what teacher you have MA Fanatic, some schools favour more strikes and others favour groundfighting with throws, you can't pigeon hole all JJ schools like that it all depends on where you go. My first school was all throws and groundfighting my second school was mainly striking and throws it depends on where you go.
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

Grogan is right on this one. Japanese JJ is victum to mcdojo's like all styles. And I have seen some Ju-Jitsu schools who dont throw or go to the ground (I always wondered where it went, JJ has had it in there)

But I have met many instructors who ffel if you cant throw as well as a Judoka you wont progress. I have also met JJ guys who are all ground work and ignore the striking and throwing part, they teach it but dont work it enough.

Over all Ju-Jitsu suffers fromm the same problem most styles do, how the students train. The information is there, but the training is not.

depends on the style

Originally posted by dre

er, actually, Classical JJ was made for Samurai In armour. Hence the absence of many Eye striking or biting techs.
    Pre-Edo CJJ did have kumi-uchi (grappling in armor) but post Edo was for regular clothes, and in that era it was the hakama. (pladed skirt like clothes). It be able to bite or ete gouge you have to have proper positionand space to do it. If you do not know how to fight on the gound them you cannot do those techniques.
    David Dow
    Bujinkan Anko Dojo
    www.taijutsu.com
    "Why try to KO the guy when you can stab him and watch him bleed to death." Toshiro Nagato

Jon,
    It sounds like you're on your way to achieving your full potential! Congratulations on your training, and it's so nice to see someone with the humility and fighting spirit you have. I hope you go far in your abilities.
    Everyone who has gone and tested himself on the ground with good grapplers has come to the same conclusions. Pretty soon it will be you who is arguing with the people who are trying to "bite our faces off."
    Seriously, congrats on your training. Stay safe, and train hard my friend.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

"From time to time I hear CMA say, "if only we would be allowed to use eye gouging and biting, we could defeat grapplers.""

For the record I never said I wanted to bite anyone.

So according to you no one can win against BJJ , not CMA, not even JJJ. I suppose we should all stop whining and convert now, while there is still time!

I love when people try to convert me to stuff. Generally, when I see anything new ,I take the most pessimistic/doubtfull view of it until it's porven satisfactoraly to me.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear