Thread: One-step drills.

One-step drills.

In my experience, most bar-fights (or any indoor fights!) start when someone is in-ya-face.

Muggings, by the time you realise wtf's happening, start IYF.

General street rumbles (multiple opp) start a step or two back, then very quickly progress to one or two people IYF.

Whether you think of yourself as a grappler/stiker/both, most of the time the range closes very quickly to IYF.

Is there any point in doing one-step sparring drills, where your opp starts one step back, and steps in with one/two/many attacks? Surely straight to IYF drills would be a more effective way of training?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

dont know about you, but ive got no hope of dealing with punches coming from someone in my face. when someone with any degree of speed is punching, theyre below reflex time. so thats where getting contact, learning sensitivity and learning attacks comes in, right? but first of all, i think its in our best interests to be taught what to do with incoming punches... hence the one step drills.
    besides, its a simple option to just step back when someones in your face. they keep coming up, you can warn them in a loud clear voice that you feel threatened (if you figure out how to say this without sounding like a *****, please tell me) and you dont want to fight.. then if they step up again, go over the top of them and walk away. well, thats the theory anyway... only fight ive been in, some guy started off with a double handed choke... of course, i had no idea what to do... now, i just hope that someones stupid enough to try that again .

anyway, hope this was of some help.

Cheers ged. The old double handed choke eh? That's the famous Scooby-Doo attack! I would love that... Anyway, it appears this thread is adequately covered in the real range in a fight thread... good job, cos, no other bleeders've bothered to answer!

I've been in a fair few 'situations' and I know talking/walking are nice ideas, but this IS the street fighting board!

By IYF I meant in the range where they can strike/grab you without having to close the distance first.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Actually.

I've just checked again, the whole **** thread: I HOPED it was covered... but no.

Well, I'll talk to myself then.

No, it sure as **** is generally a waste of time to do one-step drills when preparing yourself for a possible 'situation'.

Gee thanks Mat.

Gotta go.

Close combat

IYF-range eh? That's also my elbow's favourite range...

I agree with Ged that sensitivity training is the key. You definitely can't have an attack/counter-attack strategy in such a situation (if in any!). I actually thought that was the sense of the thread title (ie. one-step). Internal arts focus on and find their most power in this ultra-short range, and proximity does overwhelm anyone who isn't used to it - a pinciple I think the most vicious street thugs are well aware of. In a martial sense I like this proximity, although I would never wish to get into that type of fight. The only streetfight I have actually been in involved 3 guys, and we all could have fitted inside a phone box. That also reminds me of the advantage you have if you're used to fighting with your peripheral vision instead of foveal vision.

Perhaps you could also think of IYF range as Hannibal-Lecter-range... that's the sort of attitude you need to work with in that space, and its also the sort of individual who is likely to be facing you there. I don't want to talk to anyone who is close enough to bite my face off.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on these encounters. It's what we both train for and dread, eh?
    Last edited by dedalus; 04-16-2002 at 07:09 AM.

Why let it get that close to begin with?

I agree with ged.

Although most "fights" will start when the aggressor is IYF, it would be better to not let him get that close to begin with. On average, to react to a punch takes longer than the time needed to throw one. If he wants to hurt you and gets too close, only luck (and if he's drunk/slow) can save you from the first blow.

Someone gets in my face, I take a step back with my hands up (not in a fighting stance so to say, but I can still launch an attack from it) and try to diffuse the situation. He keeps coming at me, I move back some more. If he crosses the circle of security, I counter. Most of the time, a bouncer or a security guard, etc. will have walked up to us at this time and kept a fight from starting anyway.

So if you want to train realistically, you should be able to train for the IYF situation, and for one when you can make space, whether it be 1 or 2 steps worth. Any little bit helps.

IYF

Good question- one step drills have their place and are useful for teaching basics, but for the in close stuff I agree with you (all) that you need to expand your training to include in close work and reaction time. And sensitivity is key as at that range you'll never see most of what hits you.

As for specifics on fighting in close, I like to take an angle instead of steping back. My experience is that if you move back you give up the initiative and usually he will drive you. Moving in is probably not what your opponent expects, and the proper angle minimizes his weapons effectiveness while bringing all your weapons into play. I suppose you could leap back and then start to maneuver. But then you have to close with him again anyway, so why not just stay in and get it over with?

Another thing that will help train for IYF is contact sparring. You need to learn to take hits and keep going, because it's going to happen- especially in close.

We were learning last night in kickboxing tactics for fighting in close. How to nullify the power in your opponents strikes by getting in nice and tight, exploiting the gaps in their guard when they attack, and sticking on them until you feel like bring your head up and wopping out a couple of hooks, then dropping your head and sticking to their chest again.

Obviously this works a lot easier with boxing gloves but the principle is sound. If someone is in your face, get in theirs.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

I think this is beginning to crystallize what I was thinking.

Of course, if you have the luxury of having the space to step back and defuse, fine. But in terms of IYF drilling, sensitivity drills are important. Angles and sticking in are important too.

So, in drilling, how many of you practice situations or even basic moves where you are going back with someone else in control (whether touching or just in close), and coming back at them after taking control with angling footwork? Surely this should be more important in SD than one step drills, with a space big enough to drive a bus between you...?

one step drills are great!!
    "Some people say it hurts. I say pain was never really born!" -Me