Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Kung Fu's Advantage Against Ground Fighters

Braden Guest

Smile Actually, IMHO...

The tree-falling problem, while often made out to be a deep philosophical paradox, is in fact a simple example of a basic semantic argument seeming deeper than it is. Although maybe that is, ironically, rather suited to this thread.

The tree-falling problem has nothing to do with subjective versus objective reality. On the contrary, the answer depends simply on the operational definition of 'sound.' If we are defining 'sound' as a physicist might, as waves passing through the air, then yes it makes a sound even if no one hears it. If we are defining 'sound' as a philosopher might, as a phenomenological element; or as a neurologist might, as a certain activation of the central nervous system; or as a psychologist might, as part of a certain behavioral process, then the tree does _not_ make a sound if no one is around.

I guess you could argue that what's really being asked is "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does a tree actually fall in the forest?" which admittedly would be a deeper problem related to reality. But that is, however, _not_ what the riddle is asking.

I swear I didn't just try to change the topic. I swear.

-last post edited-

thanks, Braden...

Braden, your discription of the tree analogy is SPOT ON... and that's precisely what I'm trying to say:

The objective reality of the tree falling in the woods is that the sound is produced.

The subjective perception is that it does not as nothing was there to register the sound.

In much the same way, if "It's all tai chi," is an objective reality, then it's all tai chi regardless of subjective perception (or lack thereof).

If "it's all tai chi," is a subjective perception then that perception varies from individual to individual. Just beacuse it's Tai Chi for shooter doesn't mean it can't be physics for a Science Teacher, etc. They might be talking about the same thing but from a different framework for understanding it.

Is it semantics? Perhaps--but it's an important distinction because it affects valid lines of argument down the road.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 04-23-2002 at 07:12 PM.

shooter,

no offense, mate. but saying, 'it's all taiji' is an analogy, essentially. and it's not likely to be cleared up with ANOTHER analogy.

what you're saying is that everything adheres to a given set of principles, yeah? and, for you, that set of principles has been embodied in taiji. for someone else, that same set of principles might be embodied in physics, aikido, or God.

but it's bloody difficult to tell when we maintain an inability to strip away the buzzwords and explain what we actually mean by statements like that. if i say, 'it's all God', does that help you? you don't know whether i'm christian, jewish, or muslim. you don't know whether i'm using the term God in some less traditional manner. in short, as you and i haven't shared an experience of the word 'God', using it to elucidate a point is meaningless.

so if you're going to try and clear something up by insisting that 'it's all taiji', please be prepared to explain what that means. if you're not prepared to do so, then why bring it up? so that the people who already understand and agree with you will understand and agree with you?

stuart

"no offense, mate"

Do Americans say 'mate?'

I've noticed it occasionally but it sounds funny with your accents.

WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT OK?!!!?!

ITS NOT YOURS, AND YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!!

And you can't have 'wanker' either.

Sorry, just a bit of light relief.

Shooter, I think what they're trying to say is that you're not making sense.

nope. they don't. but i'm not american. i was born in brackley. northamptonshire. i moved to the united states in 1981.

wanker.

stuart

p.s. you're right about one thing though. i do have an american accent, by english standards. and a SLIGHTLY english accent, by american standards. which i try desperately to bolster by strategically using words like 'castle', 'schedule', etc.

Last edited by apoweyn; 04-24-2002 at 09:07 AM.

what about a r s e and a r s e hole?
    Aren't americans supposed to spell them a$$ and a$$hole?
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

yep. but the british spelling has caught on here probably because it doesn't get automatically edited by the system. so far. [shhh]

Stuart,

You're making people think. Stop it.

Talking about english.

There are multiple english languages being taught here.

Eigo = British English.
    Beigo = Uhmurikan English.

Funny think is that many Uhmurikan Tachers come from a weird place called Texas, nobody can understand them.

LOL@Red Fists!!

"SLIGHTLY english accent, by american standards. which i try desperately to bolster by strategically using words like 'castle', 'schedule', etc. "

For the chicks, yeah?

So you ARE English, living in America right?

Do you think of yourself as American or English?

Oh wait, I think I see something over there, off in the distance...

...Ah. Its the discussion topic.

merryprankster,

i'm a horrible monster and i pray for death.

scotty1,

yep, for the girls. ironically, my english accent faded long before i was even marginally equipped to handle the attention it garnered from the ladies. one of life's terrible ironies. oh, sure, i got a lot of attention in the "do you like me? check the appropriate box" phase. but man, i wish i still had the accent. (of course, i'm engaged now, so there you have it.)

i consider myself english, though other people (americans) have argued the point with me. i'm proud to be living in america. and i love it here. no question. but i'm proud of where i came from too. so it's important to me to never forget that. know what i mean?

perhaps that sounds daft to a guy who's still living in england. i don't know. but long story short, i do still consider myself english, yes. born in england, lived there until 10 years old, and raised in an english household. still a british citizen, actually.

but i live in america. and rest assured that that's no small thing. i'm very thankful for that too.

stuart 'fence sitter' b., reporting from the colonies. over and out.

Let's see here ... English ... Umerikhan ..... ok, mother born in USA, Grandfolks born in Mexico (plenty of relatives still in Mexico), Me= born in USA ..... am I Mexican or American ? I consider myself American. Had I been born in Mexico it might be different. Born in England ... you'd be English (grant it, dual citizenship - call yourself what you want) .... the question remains .......
    can an English Kung Fu expert take down the Mexican grappler ???
    Ok, ok .... bad humor here !
    ... * I * think the bottom line is the individual. Your art/style won't fail you - will you fail your art ?

...I'm moving on now (rambling to myself)....