Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu's Advantage Against Ground Fighters

Thumbs up Kung Fu's Advantage Against Ground Fighters

Ok, i'm sure you guys will let me know if i'm way off here, but me and Shifu often times discuss how a CMA practitioner would do against a BJJ style. Now granted the Monks trained for more warlike situations as opposed to one on one, however, in most styles pressure points are very common and a very good weapon. A real skilled Kung Fu practitioner (not saying i'm one) could easily take advantage of a man diving at his legs trying to take him down by hitting him with pressure points shots to the temple as well as other parts of the head. If someone gets hit squared in a pressure point used for a destructive purpose, they aren't going to be able to continue trying to take me down (UFC however doesn't allow pressure point strikes). It would take a highly skilled practitioner to hit a target that small, or to just be that precise, however, a true master would use this, and therefore have a great weapon against ground fighters.

Any comments?

Oh boy,

Kung Fu's Advantage against ground fighters:

"To curl up in a ball and scream"

What warlike situations did the monks train for? The best bet and its been said by better here, is that to learn to defend against groundfighting, you need to practice groundfighting.
    Regards

Answer this: Do you train to defend against a takedown as much as a grappler trains to take a person down. If the answer is no, you might have a surprise waiting for you if you fight a grappler.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I shall call this right now....Troll.

You lose.

Have a great day and God bless.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Hi. I understand the theory behind what you are saying, but I do not feel that it has proven to have much validity in actual practice. Pressure points have been allowed for decades in many MMA/NHB competitions such as Vale Tudo in Brazil (and plenty of kung fu guys have fought in Brazil). I have never seen pressure points win any fights. I've had all sorts of people demonstrate pressure point techniques on me and I've yet to find one who could actually do anymore than annoy a strong resisting opponent. Not saying its impossible, but I am saying that pressure points have yet to be proven effective in realistic application, from what most of us have seen. But to be fair, I guess we haven't seen very many experts in pressure point fighting in modern competition so perhaps it hasn't been given a fair chance yet. The only specific examples I can think of are in two earlier UFCs: Ryan Parker, a black belt in Okinawan Te and an alleged expert in pressure point striking fought Judo champion Remco Pardoel. And Baguazhang fighter Thomas Ramirez also claimed knowledge in such techniques when he fought Don Frye in UFC 8(?) Ramirez didn't get much of a chance to demonstrate his knowledge in that area, as he was KO'ed seconds into the fight. Parker's fight on the other hand, was long and drawn out and very close range. You can actually see him attempt his techniques repeatedly, to no real effect. Pardoel controlled the fight 100%. But then maybe Parker wasn't any good.

What's wrong with learning to sprawl? It directly addresses a skilled (and non-skilled) takedown attempt, and it's not a terribly difficult technique to learn.

"And Baguazhang fighter Thomas Ramirez also claimed knowledge in such techniques when he fought Don Frye..."

For the record, I think Ramirez's style was billed as "Pa Kua Chan" and it was listed as a "hybrid style". Like maybe he was trying to say it was not the same as Baguazhang (or that the UFC people didn't know what Ba Gua was ). He said he was undefeated in hundreds of streetfights. If he counts pushing people out of his way at the buffet line as fights then I absolutely believe his claim. Well no matter, "The Predator" made him a footnote in history.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

"Answer this: Do you train to defend against a takedown as much as a grappler trains to take a person down. If the answer is no, you might have a surprise waiting for you if you fight a grappler."

This is an easy answer.

If you want to beat a grappler train to beat one.

If you want to know if you can beat one, go fight one. Don't just talk about it.
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    "(and plenty of kung fu guys have fought in Brazil)."

Really, probably not. Name the fighters if you know.
    BTW, the Gracies were unkown outside Rio until a few years before the UFC.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Ryu I was simply talking theory. I didn't say I coudl do it, and i didn't take ne thing away from BJJ. All I said is that it was tool, just like u. So don't be a pr!ck all the time ok

THANX

But that is exactly the point. In theory, I could beat every fighter in the world. In practice it is a whole different matter. You can talk about what you could do all you want, but unless you try it that is all it is - talk.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

blah blahblah blah F.UCKING blah

Every time I come on this board it's always "OMG STRIKERS VS. GRAPPLARS!@!@#! IAM TEH BEST I WIL TAEK YOU DOWN WITH TEH ARMBAR AND A FLYING NUTSAC!@@111 ^_____^"

Bah.

Zapf- if you don't like it, don't read it.

apeters-Theories are only useful if they can be applied. Ryu is NOT being a *****. He's saying if you want to beat a grappler, go train against one--don't work from theories--do it. There's nothing *****like about that, in my mind.

AWWWWW...ok you people think i'm talking about myself. I probably couldn't do it, but I know my shifu could, so thats where it goes from theory to practice. A lot of masters could, and when u become proficient at Kung Fu, and become extremely advanced it no longer is theory, its practical. So therefore they would have a weapon against a grappler.

Originally posted by apeters28
    AWWWWW...ok you people think i'm talking about myself. I probably couldn't do it, but I know my shifu could, so thats where it goes from theory to practice. A lot of masters could, and when u become proficient at Kung Fu, and become extremely advanced it no longer is theory, its practical. So therefore they would have a weapon against a grappler.
    Does he do empty force too, as well as birthdays and bar-mitzvahs?
    "Let's play Soviet history-- you're Trotsky, I'm an icepick."