Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns for protection...

Guns for protection...

Thought this was an interesting article:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/news_articl...StoryID=744693

Yes, I know there's another gun thread just a bit down. But, it was getting WAY too big.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

"British law does not support the view that an Englishman's home is his castle. Norfolk farmer Tony Martin is serving five years in jail for shooting dead a teenage burglar in his home. "

Here in the USA people are looking to take that right away.

Shows what idoits can accomplish in there goal for a fantasy land of safety.

From a weaponry point of view, a firearm is the ultimate protector, period.
    Regards

Exclamation i am divided on this issue.

Whereas i fully advocate the proper and LEGAL carrying and storage in the home of a firearm ,,i DO NOT ban with the NRA whos main goal is to arm every hick redneck with conflict resolution difficulties. GUNS are not always the answer,,and we have seen an increase in violence in people these days. the resort to using a firearm to settle a dispute is becomeing more of an easy but costly way out of a situation. in the constitution it says that we have the right to bear arms. HOWEVER the constitution was written up during a time of WAR and SEIGE in this country by a foreign power,,and i am tired of these gun toten militants that take advantage of our constitution to satiate their PARANOIA. we are not at war within this country. we are having to deal with a society that is becomeing ever more violent as the years go by, and gun carrying is or seems to be the most viable solution to the violence problem. i do not begrudge a man his living and his rights,,but i do not condone the overbearing male testosterone attitude that it is cool to carry OR that it is our RIGHT to carry based on a law that was written hundreds of years ago during wartime. it in fact it is NOT COOL TO have or own a gun. it is a serious thing that the media has glamourized on and made to be like owning a playstation or a cellphone. whereas i would not hesitate to blow somebody away who was violating my home and life,,i do not associate any PRIDE or JUST in that act. it is Murder any way you look at it, whether it be in defense or aggression,,it is MURDER and one should not feel happy to do so...I DONT. why should any of you who carry a weapon? do you do this to compensate for a LACK of testosterone or nads? sorry i am ranting and maybe i shouldnt but when i post on this REALITY forum i am being just that REAL.
    but it doesnt mean that i have to like it or be all gung ho about it. we all have questions in this forum about how to do this to somebody or how to do that to hurt mame or kill. i always say use a gun,,,for i say that because i go on the precept that if one were to do this that means that THIER VERY LIFE IS IN DANGER,,,not some rooster fight or an ego exhibition as we have seen with the VIDEO of the 4 punks taking on an even bigger punk.
    ill conclude,,im getting ****ed,,,,,,,,,,whew its nice to share feelings,,,,,my woman counselor says i should do it more often,,,get in touch with my feminine emotional side,,,i should go take a midol now.
    Many Respects,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

It's really sad that there are people like you Willow Sword who do not take the natural born rights and freedoms they have with the pride and respect they deserve.

People have died for the very freedoms you are bashing now, the same freedom which has given you freespeech, no matter how retarded you might sound.

If you don't appreciate the beauty and wisdom of the freedoms that the Constition gives you, then you are more than free to take your self somewhere else, someplace where you feel more comfortable, I would not miss you and your nutless kind one bit.

The reason people carry weapons, and yes I do carry multiple knifes and tools on me, and if I had a CCW I would carry a firearm as well, is for self protection for oneself and there loved ones.

I own firearms, my friends own firearms, my family owns firearms, and all good and responsible people should have the right to be able to do so.

The fact that you put all gun advocates into the redneck category and your random posting manner on the subject shows that you don't no jack sh!it about the subject at all.

Whats more frightening is the fact that there are a lot of people like you out there.
    Regards

Black Jack.

I somehow disagree with you on one aspect.
    Guns are not the "ulimate protector".

There are many situations where you get attacked/mugged and you can't get your gun out in time.

In some countries many people have been shot with their own "ultimate protector" by muggers and the gun disappeared underground.

Guns are still considered more of an offensive and fairly slow weapon.
    Guns need to be drawn, aimed and fired.
    Just my viewpoint.

Red face uhhh Black jack

If you had read my post with ANY sort of objectivity you would understand and be able to comprehend the fact that i am not going against the constitution OR the freedom and rights fought and died for by MY family and yours.
    so i make a braod generalization on people who carry guns,,you know what? I CARRY A GUN. go back and reread my statement. and i have a question for you,,,,,so you arent a red neck,,you dont live in a trailer or live in a violent neighborhood or innercity? what then do you and ALL your family NEED with fire arms? its your God given right RIGHT? or your constitutional right RIGHT? well then sir by god excersise your right to do whatever it is that you feel that you need to do based on what rights and freedoms others have apparently given you. i am just lucky that it IS a right for me to carry and if it wasnt i would STILL Carry one. but i respect the law and the government(to a degree). my POINT in my earlier post is that GUNS arent the only answer but they ARE a necessity in these days and times when faith in people have been dashed by violence and terrible conflict resolution skills.
    You SIR as well as i are on a rant. but i think that YOUR rant blinds you to the message that i am trying to send. I AM A GUN ADVOCATE i just dont LIKE the fact that it has come to THAT. and i certainly do not need to be a part of a club of other gun toters to complain and moan about some bleeding heart liberal who wants to take that right away from us (who own guns responsably and LEGALLY. ) you got problems with gun regulations,?,,well if you are an upstanding citizen and not a criminal puke piece of crud then you should NOT have a problem with going through proper channels to aqquire a fire arm legally and SAFELY in this country.
    and I AM PROUD TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY and will fight to protect it. you have me mistaken for someone else SIR black jack.
    get your head on straight and go back and REREAD what i posted earlier and you should probably REREAD THIS POST AS WELL.
    Many respects,,,The Willow Sword
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 04-15-2002 at 11:23 PM.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I have a gun...I have a CCW, and I carry my gun when needed. But, othr than that...it's in MY ENDSTAND unloaded and the bullets are somewhere else where MY KIDS can't find them!! And, that's the MAIN reason I carry my gun, and have it in my room. Because of my kids. If someone comes into my house uninvited...they are going to get blasted, and it's NOT going to be shoot to hurt, shoot to incopasitate....it's SHOOT TO KILL.....but that's just me.

~wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Ok heres the english spin from someone living just outside london

1. Guns under pillows

Our current laws ban all handguns, the vast majority of gun owners have shotguns. Handguns were legal at one point the licence requirement was you had to have locked metal cabinets for gun and ammunition bolted to a concrete wall, these would be checked by the police before issue of a licence. You also needed to provide good reason for ownership, self defence was not an option

2. Tony Martin

He shot a 16 year old (unarmed) who was running from the house, the boy was shot in the back while running the length of the guys garden

3. Street Crime

Yes its up in the citites, most of the time the target is mobile phones and the weapon is a gun or bare hands. There has been a rise in the use of soft pellet guns that look like normal guns but real firearm usage I don't think has increased much.

In summation we were never allowed to carry guns so the removal of ownership affected a minority of target shooters.

I am not supporting an opinion on ownership here, for the record, I have never owned a gun though I would have considered one for defending the home. Course we are still allowed to have swords etc in the home

Anyway thats just my understanding of the situation in a non gun carrying country !

Peace

Black Jack

I like your style of advice in ma posts and real situations.

But don't assume that the English are idiots thinking we are living in a fantasy world of peace, or that we are idiots for not having guns. I've lived in one of the highest violent crime areas in UK (Balsall Heath, Birmingham) for a long time. My friends, loved ones and I have plenty of experience of street and bar fights, and muggings, armed and unarmed, and tackling burglars (oh, and riots!). I'm always telling my (Japanese) students to wise-up when they visit the green-and-pleasant-land. As Adrian says, crime IS on the rise...

I don't know your background/current situation, but I fully support your wanting to uphold your right to carry a weapon. In the UK, I don't think we need this... yet. I hope we won't. And yeah, gun crime is on the rise too, but mostly it's dealers popping each other, with no outside casualties.

If I ever feel threatened (or my family/loved ones) by gun crime, I will campaign very strongly to be allowed to carry one.

Tony Martin slept with teddy bears. He is a sad freak. I'm not saying he shouldn't have rights, I'm saying he's disturbed. And shooting an unarmed boy, running away from him, and then claiming that he didn't even notice the gun going off, is not the behaviour of a responsible man.

Don't go accusing us of being stupidly thinking we're living in a fantasy land, and I won't accuse you of being a twisted paranoiac!!! Your country is hell of a lot more dangerous than ours. Period. Good advice on most other things though!

Adrian: those pellet guns can kill you too, if someone shoots you close range, or in the eye. There have been a few cases. While they aren't 44s they are 'real' guns, and nothing to be complacent about.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Oh yeah!

The article doesn't make sense either. The stats don't add up, and frankly, the survey is a bunch of reactionary crap. I haven't got time now, and I may not have much of a chance to post for a month, but basically, find the actual questions, and tell me this survey isn't a bunch of horse****...!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 04-16-2002 at 05:28 AM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sorry about the hit-n-run post, but I'm off back home to kick some ass in the hood!!!

Good post Mat.

Didn't a girl get shot in the head in the East End a few weeks ago? And the sick thing is, he went for her mobile phone, she struggled, he ended up with it and THEN shot her.

What price human life? Less than a ****ing mobile phone it seems.

ok, an extra few seconz

"Guns feature alongside baseball bats and hammers among the arsenal kept by almost one in 10 worried householders," security firm Micromark said on Tuesday, citing a telephone survey of 1,000 people.

The company said eight percent of those sleeping next to a weapon had a gun, equating to about 100,000 homes.

1000 people in a (random?) survey by a security firm: almost one in ten have weapons... 8% of whom have a gun... That's less than 8 people in a thousand... And when does a hammer become a weapon? OK, on the still veryrare occasion when some ***** breaks into your house when your in it!!

etc... this is typical scaremongering crap! Come on, you don't believe that media hyped crap either do you?

Willow Sword,

I am an atheist so the god given thing is not what I am about, its more of a basic freedom thing, and your post IMHO still came across as anti-firearm with your generalizations, generalizations you admited to, calling people who want a vermont style carry rednecks and basically questioning why people would want to own a weapon in the first place.

If I read more into thats becuase it was how your post came across to me. I believe in CCW's for responsible law abiding citizens, people I believe you called rednecks, let me know if I am wrong.

Mat,

Number 1. The crime rate in England has been on a steadfast rise since banning law abiding citizens from owning handguns to protect themselves.

I can post stuff on it if we really want to go there.

Number 2. I like England, I just wish you guys fought a LOT harder to keep those all so important rights, you just fell victim to the U.N. minset, something we are fighting right now here in America.

Look at Canada, New Zealand, the tough and rumble Aussies, they to have fallen to that mindset. Check out the Sweden I believe, everyone there has a firearm, no big deal, and hardly any violent crime.

Number 3. Both America and England despite having or not having firearms are both some of the most safest places on earth to live, random violent crime is rare and good awareness skills are the real key, but its better to have a firearm and not need it then to need it and not have one, for some its a personal totem, and like I say when you ban the responsible public from owning firearms all you are doing is giving the criminals a bigger advantage, as criminals don't obey laws.

Number 4. America of course is going to have more violent crime on a pure numbers scale as we are much bigger, but on a percentage scale I hear England is not faring very well of late.

My bottom line is that I think you are a smart enough, decent enough, and responsible enough person to decide for yourself if you wish to own a handgun, be it for whatever purpose you choose that tool for, it bothers me we governments decide for you.

Red Fist,

By ultimate protector I was speaking from a hypothetical weapon based point of view, the real ultimate protector is your mind, but for tactical defensive weapons its the firearm.
    Regards