Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapons non traditional

It all depends on my enviroment and what I am wearing but now I carry about 3-5 blades on me, of late a Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Covert Folder, two Spyderco folders, my neck knife, plus my koppo.

If I can get away with it, I go quality fixed blade combat knife, and two folders-plus neck knife

I am not that good with flexiable weapons yet, so I don't carry any, I would end up wacking myself in the ******, if I had a CCW I would carry a firearm.

I am also working carrying on a pair of cheapo but durable throwing knifes in addition to everything else.

On the aspect of everyday weapons, yes those are a very important factor to consider, but Huang, they are no way a substitue for superior tactical weapon, if thats all you got fine, but I would not want to take my bic pen against a Busse Combat knife or a box cutter for that matter.
    Regards

In the rare event I carry it's usually a 1 1/8" by 24" hardwood dowel. If that's not practical I carry a gerber mark I. I save the ordinance for home.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Of course everyday weapons don't compare against specialized knives. And specialized knives don't compare against guns.

When you're on that airplane against terrorists with boxcutters, Black Jack, you go in empty handed and I'll go with whatever I've got or can grab.

Your knives won't make it past metal detection. And on the street there's the LEGAL thing that you'd have to deal with.

Stab someone with your kinds of weapons and you'll face an expensive civil suit for sure.
    Last edited by HuangKaiVun; 04-17-2002 at 06:54 PM.

Well yeah huang thats another point to think about. i should really have said unconventional instead of non traditional , but i think everybody gets the point anyway.
    I stopped carrying knives because the police give random spot checks and ive been stopped a couple times, and nowadays carrying knives are illegal ,it used to be a certain length/ width is legal im not sure it still applies. Tasers are illegal, and the whole gun thing out here is mesed up , lots of people get robbed and killed because of the fact that they are licenced firearm holders...if people know you have a gun , and i assume there are ways of finding out , then people will be coming for you, so, maybe if i lived in another country id carry a gun but not here.
    theres metal detection and security at parties so that rules that out as well.
    Im not going to walk around with chinese weapons unless im doing a demo or at a tournament so, in terms of practicality , its either hands alone or some improvised tool...

10,000 uses (that's what manriki gusari means, 10,000 forces)

Aaarrgh the bad Japanese traslations when will they end?? :P

It is split like this:
    Man = 10.000
    Riki = Strenght (Sumo wrestler are called "Riki-shi" actually).
    Kusari = Chain.

The actual meaning is:
    "The Chain with the strength of 10.000"

But, yes, soft Weaon are VERY good for street fight situations.

Peace.

P.S.: Bill for the translation will be send later.

First off Huang, you are comparing apples to oranges, I did not know we were talking about being just on a plane, but know that the rules are changed, I am NO stranger to make-shift weapons, I was taught how to use a pen, credit card, belt, comb, lighter, and other weapons by a old teacher of mine a long time ago, and not made up stuff either, how to hold, how to dart, how to pinch, how to slash, where to target, so on a plane I would have access to a few weapons of my choice.

Next, the legal issue is a joke, blades are a last ditch weapon, used only in the most serious of dire circumstances when your tactical awarenesss to leave the scene has failed, where you could not get away by any other means at hand, plus legality only means anything if you are alive to be arrested/sued in the first place, I would rather have a busted nose and brusied ego ten-thousand fold then ever have to bring that kind of hardware to bear on a living person, as I have respect for what it can do.

As stated above, legal issues only mean anything if you are alive to be arrested in the first place, I would rather be sued for all I am worth than be some stain on the ground because some low life wanted to rub me out to rape my girlfriend or murder us for drug money, all of my weapons with the exception of the fixed blades are under legal limits anyway.
    Regards

Weapons

~In my car: oak rods 1.5" x 39" next to the drivers seat, glass bottle filled with liquid in drink holder. 1" x 36" iron bar in trunk along with jack handle. If I know I am not going to work for a few days (I work on a military installation), I will have a glock 10 (old, I know) and some knives as well with me.
    ~Home has lots of guns and knives and swords and other assorted weapons.
    ~Walking down the street, I like to have a glass bottle of drink in my hand, and a glock on me somewhere.
    ~Go into the restaurant and try to get seated with back against the wall and a view of the door. Order steak or something that they have to give me a knife for, and of course try to get your drinks served in a glass glass instead of plastic or foam.
    ~Would really like it if I could carry my ithica 10 ga pump around town but I think that might be frowned upon by the non knowing.

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

"Walking down the street, I like to have a glass bottle of drink in my hand, and a glock on me somewhere.
    ~Go into the restaurant and try to get seated with back against the wall and a view of the door. Order steak or something that they have to give me a knife for, and of course try to get your drinks served in a glass glass instead of plastic or foam. "

Jesus. How are things in Sierra Leone?

Scotty.

I agree.

Listening to the weapons list and the pre-cautions makes you wonder when the showdown at the Ok-Corral is going to occur.

oo-e-oo-e-oooooo.....

wa-wa-wa.....

You people don't sound like Martial Artists to me you sound like a bunch of thugs! I like my Glock, I sit with my back to the wall, I carry throwing knives with me, I am a 2 bit thug!
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

Good job throwing knives can't travel over phone lines Grogan.

Whats a martial artists supposed to be like?

A old chinese guy in a silk robe with a long pipe sticking out of his mouth who when jumped on his nightly walks, soundly defeats the three club weilding youths attacking him with his ancient monkey tosses the salad technique?

If preparing to protect oneself with what ever means neccesary, be that by carrying a firearm or other weapons, in the occurance of a threat is unhonorable, then boy I will take the unhonorable label anyday, then be sh!t out of luck.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 04-18-2002 at 09:15 AM.
    Regards

monkey tosses the salad technique?

is that any reference to Chris Rocks 'toss salad man' sketch?
    man that cracked me up

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

...the sky is falling...