Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Push hands

Push Hands

Snake/Crane, I'm with you on the Basics. You have to go back and refine those techniques. You always see or feel something somebody did and it makes you go to the basics once again. Jon you talked about one master being hard and one soft. The exercise that always helped with this was pressing against somebody and building up the energy(pulsing) to match your partner. You both start slowly building up the energy from floor through forearms. When they let off, you also let off. It has to be a gentle release of the pulsing or pressing at each other. Sometimes when it was focused just right it was pressing bone on bone(but centered). This always helped me learn to match softness and hardness. Then take this to moving.

V/r

Steve Manning

Thanks for the tips people
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

We do FREE push hands.

That includes groundfighting and multiple opponents.

In America, that's what one has to be prepared for.

can u not keep your frothing at the mouth and challenging to one thread mate?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Who said I was challenging anyone here, bub?

Good martial artists know when to accept things at face value.

In America, that's what one has to be prepared for.
    was obviously a dig at Jon coz he is from australia and you teaching in America is oh so tough etc.

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

HKV, I used to think you of you as someone that trained hard and tried to make all facets of his martial art work. You seemed like a realist and a traditionalist, which was cool. The more you have posted lately though, the more you keep putting a very self centered tone to your stuff, and acting like you are tough...One thing I think most higher level martial artists have taught their students is some version of the saying "dont ever understimate anyone" or even "every dog has his day". Heck..even a very old Choy Lai Fut master told his students recently "dont ever underestimate someone that does Tai Chi, most of them cant use it to fight, but some of them are some of the most dangerous people you will ever meet, and you would never know until you crossed hands with one of them". Soooo...why dont you tone it down and show respect for others, or are you really so convinced that you and EVEN YOUR STUDENTS could take anyone they are going to run into anywhere at anytime? I dont get it.
    -Golden Arms-

"We do FREE push hands."
    * So there is no fixed step push hands taught in your school?
    If not how do you get your students to a level to understand free push hands?

"That includes groundfighting and multiple opponents."
    * Very interesting, how exactly do you encorporate multiple opponents into push hands considering that staying in contact with your partner is a fundamental part of the excercise?
    I would also be curious how exactly you encorporate groundfighting into push hands. To me they would seem like two totaly different things. We wrestle in my school but we dont 'push hands' on the ground?

"In America, that's what one has to be prepared for."
    * I dont think we are talking about what you need to prepare for on the street. I also dont really care for your elitist attitude and obvious misunderstanding of the subject matter.
    Perhaps you could keep your racism and frantic posturing to yourself?
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Me like HKV the more he posts the more it becomes obvious that he knows nothing.

"Free push hands, groundfighting and multiple opponents"

OMG

HKV.

Next time before you try to troll us to atleast a weenie bit of research into the styles and correct terminology before you try to pass yourself as someone skilled and knowledgeable.

Seeya.
    Witty signature under construction.

LOL

I do push hands using punching bags. Sometimes even multiple punching bags. And I use as much tension as I can
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Freestyle push-hands with foot-sweeps is a cool training-method. I did sum yesterday with an old student from my old Tai Chi class. I recommend it.
    (in reality it started as ordinary fixed PH, but it grew more intense, and became freestyle, lol)

Laughing Cow, you've GOT to meet us.

You do kung fu. Test our Tai Chi in a combat situation.

Need contact info? Send friends over if you have any out here.

Golden Arms, I come out of an authentic Neijiagong tradition.

In our tradition, people are welcome to try hands. Clearly you haven't trained this way because you automatically assumed that it had to be unfriendly. Neither me nor my teachers were afraid of showing others what we had in a match, friendly or otherwise.

The way it works in old Chinese kung fu traditions is that if somebody wants to talk smack about somebody else, he's got to walk the talk. The Taiwanese say "Kong buh loy yeung", which means "Talk doesn't mean squat".

So come one, come all. My door is an open one, try the hands of myself or my students. Don't be afraid, we don't bite.

HKV, nah..its not like that at all..My school even had open nights for anyone to come in and try our students one on one..and we still take any walk in challenges, but we dont go LOOKING for fights..why bother? If we trained any more traditionally, we would have to move back to Toisan. And if you think that you are unhurtable because of iron jacket, or golden bell practice, then why dont you have any respect for the techniques designed to break them? To each their own.
    -Golden Arms-

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    Laughing Cow, you've GOT to meet us.

You do kung fu. Test our Tai Chi in a combat situation.

Need contact info? Send friends over if you have any out here.
    Naah, I give it a skip.

What you described is more like San Shou than Tui Shou.
    As a matter of fact I am studying T'ai Ji at the moment.

How many hours a day do your students spend in Zhang Zhuang?
    Most traditional kwoons ask for atleast 1hr every day for 2~3yrs.

How much time is spend on San Chu Jin?

Don't need contact info, you posted your details plenty enough.
    If I get to over to the states and your region I might check your Kwoon out.

Seeya.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 07-29-2003 at 01:47 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

Yes, we do things a bit differently Laughing Cow.

We do what we feel is enough to make us into competent streetfighters. It probably doesn't match up with what you have been taught, but that doesn't preclude it from working either.

So yes, do come by. Test our Tai Chi in a combat situation against us. You've trained enough to know that it DEFINITELY won't be violent (or so I'm led to believe). If we have something to learn from you, we'd love to see.

As long as you show up and say "hello", we can discuss this in person via words and hands.

Once again Golden Arms, you misunderstand me.

I have GREAT respect for the techniques that break Golden Bell and other Iron Shirt techniques. We train them day in and day out, for your information.

I've been dissed all my life, and the only thing that stops that is an all-out call to arms. I've fought my share of battles, so I know which fights to do and which fights to avoid.

Like it or not, standing up to bullies (especially when you're a little Chinese guy like me) is the only way to get them off you. The more you back off, the more they ATTACK.

And that's what's been happening here.
    Last edited by HuangKaiVun; 07-30-2003 at 02:26 PM.