Thread: good food to eat while dieting

good food to eat while dieting

ive just finished a few months of doing weights to get bulk, where i was cramming as much food as i could into me, with emphasis on milk and tuna/other meats. now, ive decided i want a visible 6 pack (yeah im vain, so what) so im trying to lose fat... so i thought id eat less, and eat better foods. not as easy as that... i make sure i eat a big breakfast, but even so, im hungry throughout most of the day - ive heard this is what happens when your body adapts to eating lots of food, then you cut back?

so whats a good food that i can eat lots of without putting on fat? any good low-fat foods you guys know of that really fill you up?

also, should i avoid carbos?

You're hungry all the time because your body is used to receiving huge amounts of food and now you're cutting back. Whatever you do, eat at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight so your body will be less likely to use muscle for food.

Still though, you will probably lose at least a little muscle with the fat. How much weight did you gain? How much muscle?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

thanks for the prompt response.
    over a year, i gained about 8kg (20 pounds i think). of this, most was muscle, at least judging by the layer of fat over my stomach. its stayed mostly constant - abs used to barely poke through.. now they only do if i flex.
    so still keep up the protein? ill go back to more tuna/milk then, at least theyve got low fat. what about the carbs?

I dunno. What bodytype are you?

Like I say, diet is not my forte, so I might not be that much of a help.

IronFist

heh... no problem ironfist. theres a few diet experts on this board, hopefully one of them will help me out. if not, ill just eat grapes.

hehe, inic, i was hoping you'd reply... sounds like you know what you're talking about.

oatmeal? pah, oats? isnt that what horses eat? lol.

anyway.... thanks for the post. id eat more salmon if i could.. but it costs money for the good stuff, and i dont like the canned salmon. tuna will do me fine. isnt salmon the only fish they say you can eat instead of meat and you'll be fine?

so, i can still eat lots.... but spread it out throughout the day....eat more natural foods... and stay away from rice/pasta, and eat more bread? did i understand you correctly? and eat protein, but less than i am currently... ill give this a go. if im still hungry, ill just try and eat fruit.

right, thanks to the both of you. youve both contribued significantly to me gaining a visible 6 pack. lol. excuse me, im off to the mirror.

TCM

From a Chinese Medicine point of view there are two definite bits of advice that have been given so far which I would persoanlly warn you against if you want to lose weight in anyway in order to form more muscular definition. As far as Chinese Medicine is concerned I would definitley keep away from Wheat and Milk. These are classified as Damp forming foods which greatly contribute towards water retention and obesity. Most dairy products will always (from a Western aswell as a Chinese medicine point of view) will create layers of Fat which will in time convert into Glucogen. Protein, yes, is good, and keeping awy from raw uncooked foods which are also high in protein is good too.
    Of course this just from the Chinese perspective.

How about more detail on the ab workout there inic.
    Got a good routine I could try?
    Train hard, live long and prosper.

thats weird

my six pack is lookin pretty nice, and all i do is a set of 5 inverted crunches, a set of 5 oblique crunches, and a set of 5 rotatry crunches, everyday

altho i do them with quite a bit of weight

peace
    trav
    Travis

structure in motion

Sorry... I'm one of those who is blessed with a large mass of muscle naturally... I've never worked out for it, but it just seemed to form naturally. Genetics... woo.

I'm now working on my abs... as we all know, every time you punch/kick/move, your abs play an important role, and since I've really been putting myself into my kung fu workouts, I've been looking to develop my abs more.

Just a quick question... what's an inverted cruch? (Sorry for the newbie sounding question )

Hau Tien

pretty easy, the way i do em is i find a bar, hang upside down (just bend my knees over the bar), and do a crunch

for the added weight, i just get a 70 lb dumbell, and hold it up above me, and then do a crunch, keeing my arms (and the dumbell) perpendicular to the ground

peace
    trav
    Travis

structure in motion

sorry

keeping, not keeing

peace
    trav
    Travis

structure in motion

all quotes from inic:

ok, sorry iron fist but this whole 1gram protein/ bodyweight is a well, not accurate.

i'd love to know who the hell started this trend.

It seems to have been around for a while. I'm not saying that means it's true, however.

I'm a translater,

Hardcore O/T, but what language(s)? Just curious because linguistics is a hobby of mine.

i know a few bodybuilders in france/russia/germany, etc. i mention how people over here do that 1g protien thing. they asked how much that'd be, i said like 10 cans of tuna, 6 eggs, and a big steak. they said thats just silly. and they're right.

let's see. your numbers:
    10 cans of tuna =~ 250g.

250g? That's for a 250lb'er. Plus 6 eggs and a steak? That's like 100g more! A 350lb BB'er? I doubt you know anyone that big. Sorry. You made a bad estimate.

edit: THEY ASKED HOW MUCH THAT WOULD BE?!!! Now I don't believe you. What kind of bodybuilder can't estimate how much protein that is?! It doesn't even really matter what kind of food it comes from, anyway, when estimating... 1g/lb is 1g/lb.

Why do I think you are trolling? End Edit

And secondly, the bodybuilders you know must not be very big. No one can make substantial gains on less than that much protein. Ask your "bodybuilders" how many calories they eat each day. Anyone who answers under 4000 is not a good source of info to listen to, unless they are genetic freaks. Ok, that's a huge generalization, but it gets my point across. Ever heard of steroids? They can improve the effeciency at which at which your body synthesizes protein, among other things.

Before anyone else says anything, yes, all pro BB'ers use steroids, as do most amateurs, even in the drug free leagues. There are ways around testing, namely masking agents.

Back to the quotes.

...but in my nutrition class

Hmmm...I put as much faith in "nutrition classes" as I do in "personal trainers."

, my prof had us all right down what we ate and the calorie intake. he said hes never seen anyone eat the way

Haha, me too once. I ate more than anyone he'd ever seen before, and I was skinny!

This is why I hate set diets. Everyone's metabolism and level of carb sensitivity is different, and what works for one person may not necessarily work for someone else. Everyone tries to group diets together... "hey, this will work for everyone, buy my book!" I don't think so. People can use principles from diets, but everything is individual, and everything is trial and error. The only constants are things like 3500 calories = one pound, 4 cals per g of carbs or protein, 9 calories per lb of fat, etc.

i'm also trying to get my 8pack back.

Just don't go around telling people they can get an 8 pack. As far as I know, "8 packs" are genetic abnormalities (but pretty cool ones, eh? ). Most people just have 6 heads or whatever on their abs. However, I'm not sure so I think I'll go research this. But I think it's genetic, like how some people have staggered abs and others have side by side abs.

i'm not too familiar with isometrics but supposedly holding in ur stomach for long periods contracts the muslce to stay that way, or something like that...

Even if that were the case, while residual tension might look cool, it would be very counterproductive to just about any activity you might engage in.

thats 150 ... 50 each one day, 25 each the next day...i started at 30 each, then 15 on other day, but add 5 each week till u hit 50 of each.

Let me ask you a question. Would you ever do 150 bicep curls? How about 150 reps of bench? Do you think your abs are different in composition from your biceps or pecs?

I hate to tell you this, but if you have a six pack it's because you have low body fat, not because of your huge ab routine.

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 04-22-2002 at 10:46 PM.

woah you dont like being criticised do you ironfist? (True what you said though).

I would stay away from Yeast and Sugar to lose weight. and check out trimspa.com