Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jow Ga

If I remember correctly there was a Ms. Tammy Lee who did a Jow Ga form at Taiji Legacy in 2004 and she was quite good; the DVD is for sale through Wayfarer Publications.
    Last edited by chud; 04-29-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Sifu wong and his student's are great on top of holding the best kung fu tournament on the east coast. Raymond Wong actualy takes all the sifus and competitors out to diner at the end of the tourney. Who does that
    yeah sifu R. Wong is a great guy and his tournament is top notch. his school is not only very good and well respected but its also FREE. he doesnt charge money for lessons. i think he is technically a non profit organization and gets either state or federal funding. i think his students are required to do some sort of community service or something in lieu of payment. He is using his kungfu to give back to the community and i think that is awesome.

as for taking everyone out after the tournament. it is extremely generous of him. i think it helps that he owns the restaurant. by the way any one in dc china town the restaurant is on H street and they have very good food and serve dim sum til 3 pm.

*pours himself some rice wine, with old chinese music playing in the background, as rain falls in the background, sobbing "siiiiiffffuuuuuu" and drinking himself into a stupor*

The Wong family really is family. Unfortunately, I'm a bit disfunctional and couldn't do it. I highly recommend it for anyone else if they want to get the total experience of a real, good kung fu school. I'd say "tell 'em pork chop sent yah" but I don't know if that'd win you any brownie points. haha

I still break out with Small Tiger every once in a while.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

i think he is technically a non profit organization and gets either state or federal funding.
    I would really like to know how he managed that?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

New Jow Gar book!

Enter to win The Power of Shaolin Kung Fu, autographed by Ronald Wheeler! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 09/20/2012. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think it's the best and most accurate hisorty

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00 View Post
    I'm curious to see what the "Community" thinks about Jow Ga (taken from www.jowtigers.com)

The History of Jow Ga (taken from www.jowtigers.com)

The system of Kung Fu known as Jow Ga (Jow Family) is also referred to as Chow Gar, Zhou Jia, and Chau Ka depending on the dialect or translation. Jow Ga has also been referred to as Hung Tao Choy Mei, which translates "head of Hung and tail of Choy.

It was labeled Hung Tao Choy Mei because the system incorporated Hung Ga kung fu's powerful upper-body techniques and Choy Ga kung fu's swift footwork and complex kicking techniques.

The founder of the system was Jow Lung. Jow Lung was born during 1891, in the Canton Province, Hsin-Hui Sheng Sha Fu village, China, an agricultural village for many generations. The people in his village adored martial arts, so Jow Lung starting learning Hung Ga from his Uncle Jow Hung at an early age. Jow Lung's training began with basic stances and stepping. Regardless of age, those who practice Hung Ga, suffer the most from basic stance and step training. Jow Lung never complained about the training and his uncle took a special liking to him.

One day Jow Hung told Jow Lung that he didn't think he would live much longer due to symptoms of an old illness. Jow Hung told Jow Lung that he knew a unique set of Pa Kua staff techniques that he wanted to pass on to Jow Lung before he died. Uncle Hung told Jow Lung that his kung fu technique had come to the point that if he learns the Pa Kua staff techniques, he will be one of the best in the martial arts field. Within one month Jow Lung learned the Pa Kua staff techniques. Shortly after Jow Lung learned the Pa Kua staff techniques, his Uncle Jow Hung died. After the death of his uncle, Jow Lung followed Master Choy Kau (Chi Ching Tsai Kong) and learned Choy Ga Kung Fu. It took Jow Lung only a few years to master the Choy Ga Kung fu because of his basics in Hung Ga kung fu.

At the age of 18, Jow Lung had a difficult time finding a job in his hometown through the introduction of his townspeople, so he traveled to Malaysia (Singapore and Malaysia were one country at that time). In 1910, Jow Lung and many others went to find work as miners in Kuala Lumpur. The bosses, who were described as gangsters, would often beat the workers. One day Jow Lung got into a fight with one of his bosses and fatally wounded him. Jow Lung fled to the mountains and found a temple named "Gi Leu". Because he hadn't eaten for many days and was exhausted, he asked an apprentice at the temple for help. The master of the temple Chian Yi, agreed to provide shelter for Jow Lung in the temple. Chian knew that Jow Lung had a natural talent for Kung Fu from the moment he saw him. Chian Yi taught Jow Lung northern Shaolin Kung Fu and medicine.

One day, Master Chian Yi called Jow Lung and told him, "I have passed on to you the north Shaolin Martial Arts and medicine, and now your skills are good enough to hold a special place in the martial arts field". Master Chian Yi then ordered Jow Lung to leave the temple. When Jow Lung went back to Kuala Lumpur, he felt like centuries had gone by, but he never stopped practicing kung fu. From continuous practice, Jow Lung realized the uniqueness of the three styles of kung fu he learned and decided to combine them into one, thereby developing Jow Ga Kung Fu. Jow Lung felt that he would not be able to spread his family's kung fu in Kuala Lumpur, so he went back to his hometown in China. From then on he vowed to spread his families kung fu. In his hometown, Jow Lung taught his brothers Jow Hip, Jow Biu, Jow Hoy, and Jow Tien the system of kung fu he created. The brothers would diligently practice.

They discussed setting up the first family kung fu school in Canton "Zhou Ren Yi Tang". Jow Lung would be in charge of teaching, while Jow Hip, Jow Biu, Jow Hoy, and Jow Tien would assist in the teaching. Eventually their family kung fu spread. In 1911, a commander of the military ordered General Fu-Lin Li to hire a martial arts expert to be the coach of the military by holding a public competition. Whoever won the competition would get the job. Jow Lung signed up for the competition. The competition was divided into 10 groups, and used elimination's to decide the winner. Jow Lung passed each elimination, and reached the final competition against one of the best martial arts practitioners Guan Gin Sze. Jow Lung defeated Guan Gin Sze and became the military martial arts coach. Because of Jow Lung's success, his brothers assisted him in teaching the military. It was around this time that the brothers became known as "The Five Tigers of Jow Ga".

At that time Jow Lung made it his job to solve problems and dissolve dissentions. The four brothers followed in Jow Lung's footsteps. In 1919, Jow Lung became so busy teaching that he hardly got rest. When Jow Lung caught a cold at times, he would dismiss it casually because he considered himself to be strong. Unfortunately Jow Lung's cold became so severe that it turned into pneumonia and rendered him incurable. Just as other heroes who have died young, Jow Lung died when he was 29. His death shocked the martial arts community. His students mourned him as if they would for their own parents and the society as a whole was at loss.

Jow Hip, Jow Biu, Jow Hoy, and Jow Tien mourned deeply for the loss of their brother. On the day of Jow Lung's funeral, they vowed that they would continue to carry out their brother's dying wish to spread Jow Ga Kung Fu, so that it would be noted in history. The brothers worked hard and opened up the 4th branch in Canton and Hunan. In 1927, they set up the 5th branch in Chen Tsun, 6th branch in Fo Shan, 7th and 8th branch in Nan Hi Shi Giao, and Guin Shan.

In 1928 Jow Biu returned to his hometown to set up the 9th branch in Jiang Men, 10th branch in Tai Shan Hsin Chan, 11th in Gio-Gian, students Zhu Hua and Lee Ngou (Li Niu) in charge. In 1929 Jow Tien went to Shi-Gian to develop and set up branches in Yu -Tsen, Du-Tsen, Nan Fu and Guan-Shi, widely setting up to 20 or more branches. By 1930, 80 branches were set up in Shanghai and led by students of the Five Tigers. Setting up so many branches in a few years is unprecedented in the martial arts field. This was achievable due to the Jow family leadership.

China experienced great political upheaval. Lee Ngou immigrated to Hong Kong's Yuan Lan head branch. Jow Biu followed and set up branches. Many other students of the Five Tigers arrived in Hong Kong later to help with the branches.

The Jow Ga lion dance techniques were even better known. Before World War II, Hong Kong held a huge parade during the inauguration for the King of England George II. The Hong Kong government sent people to Canton to ask a group from Jow Ga to perform for Queen Elizabeth's inauguration ceremony. Jow Biu led the group to accept Hong Kong's invitation. Since the war, Jow Ga's lion team has performed during any large scale parades in Hong Kong. When Queen Elizabeth celebrated her 25th silver anniversary of ruling, the Jow Lung Branch sent out a huge Lion Dance team of 300 people for the parade.

On March 14th 1961, Jow Biu passed away after a short illness.

*** My apologies for such a long opening Topic, but as I was copying directly from the site, I did not want to edit words that were not my own.

I only studied JowGa for 2 years before I moved and found another sifu who taught me N. Shaolin which was suprisingly an easy transition considering JowGa is considered a southern style.
    After several more years training in N Shaolin I became interested in Sanshou and began to train ferverously. Many of those powerful movements of JowGa came back into my regemen once again.
    and of course the love of the lion dance..

Many publications (kungfu magazine, etc.)have done articles on Jowga and my sifu Hoy Lee especially, but I have not heard of it mentioned in this forum.

There is much more info available but I've already made this post far too long...

A strong man controls others. A man who controls himself is truly powerful. -Lao Tzu

Our newest exclusive web article

What's it like to go to China for Kung Fu? READ Jow Ga Returns Home by Will Bailey

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips