Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jow Ga

RENEGADE_MONK Guest

I know nothing

I orginally started training in Jow back in 86-87
    for a brief period learning Sui Fok Fu- Small Tiger, or Small Subduing Tiger, and Tit Jin Kuen,
    but basically I'm a novice when it comes to what i learned...... sei ping kuen is that "Small Hung Fist", how do you like the Plum Blossom spear sets? Moi Fa Cheung?? ...I just came from the school but Sifu Wong had an engagement today so the school was closed. But I'll be talking with him about 7:00pm tommorrow.

Peace ;)

mysteri Guest

your knowledge is impressive...

sorry it took me so long to get back to you, i haven't had computer access in a while. not many people i know can name the forms in both english and cantonese. i love moi fa churn, it's my favorite weapon so far. hopefully sifu will let me learn the straight sword, it's very intriguing to me. the sei ping kuen i learned as my first form was different than the small hung fist that you speak of. sifu's daughter tammy does a form called small hung fist, so maybe they're just different forms. i only know two people who know iron arrow (tit jin kuen), it's a cool form i wanna learn one day.

ShaolinTiger00 Guest

Gentlemen

My apologies for not responding to your questions. I had thought this post dead, and had not been looking at this section of the forum.

Renegade, I used to live in the Eastern Market area and also near the U st strip at one time. I have recently moved to Bethesda to be closer to my work.

As mentioned in my initial post (see asterisks at bottom of jow ga history) I studied Jow Ga for several years and upon the recommendation of Sifu Lee, sought teaching by Michael Barry in Maryland, whom teaches the full spectrum of chinese arts including Shaolin longfist, but has an excellent reputation as an excellent fighter and now teaches Sanshou to a small "family"

As far as Jow Ga forms that I can still remember, I still practice them reguraly as they add focus and flexibility to my fighting....
    please forgive me as I have combined in my head both Jowga and Shaolin Forms

Siu Hung Kune -Small Hung Fist
    Siu Fok Fu -Small Subduing Tiger
    Dye Fok Fu -Big subduing Tiger
    Mui Faa Cheung -Plum Flower Spear
    Fu Mei Darn Do -Tiger Tail Broadsword
    Teet Geen Chune -Iron Arrow Fist
    Fu Hok Chune -Tiger and Crane Fist
    Jeet Chune -Intercepting Fist
    Man Jeet Chune -10,000 Fist
    Fu Pow Chune -Tiger and Leopard Fist
    Chy Jong Chune -Advanced Attacking Fist
    Gawk Jeet Chune -Square Patterened Fist
    Jow Ga Sern Dao Gwan - Jow Ga double ended staff
    Sum Jet Gwan -3 section staff
    Darn Gim- Single Sword
    Sern Bei Sao -Double daggers *** my favorite**
    Kwan do- kwan do !
    Mui Faa Sern Bin -Plum Blossom dbl. Chain
    Gao Wun Dye Do -9 ring knife
    dye pa- tiger fork
    chart sern dao gwan - staff vs. staff
    Darn do chart cheung -dbl. knife (broadsword) vs. spear
    Sum Jeet Gwan Chart Che -3 section staff vs spear
    Kwan do Chart Cheung - kwan do vs. spear

also please forgive my improper spelling of Cantonese words... I'm just a white devil

I'm very familiar with all of the Jow Ga schools in the area as my sifu has very close ties to Sifu Lee. Currently I have no great interest in learning more forms as I have studied more that I can ever possibly remember. I have an understanding of the Jow ga system and It compliments my Shaolin very well. Right now my passion is in Sanshou. unfortuanately many jow ga schools do not train Sanshou fighters (as of yet)

A strong man controls others. A man who controls himself is truly powerful. -Lao Tzu

mysteri Guest

i know this post is long deceased, but....

please forgive me for not reading the post months ago. i have not been on this section in a while.

shaolin_tiger,

WOW! you have a VERY good knowledge of jow ga! it must've taken you at least 10 years to learn all those forms! WOW! i don't blame you, i think you've had enough jow ga to be considered a sifu already and start your own school! but i only know: sei ping kune, small tiger, northern flower fist form, spear, broadsword, staff, small tiger 2 man set, and SPEAR vs broadsword & dagger.

my knowledge is very limited, but ever increasing. i myself am trying to train for san shou. i want to go and watch for right now. actually, i do want to compete in this tounament coming up, but i know it will be very difficult. but even if i get creamed, i still want the experience. sifu lee will only train those in san shou who are interested. i wish i would've started training months ago. but anything is good. do u recommend i try for the experience? just a question for your opinion. thanks.

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

thekuntawman Guest
    excuse me i have to make a correction, my younger brothers.

ron wheeler and hoy lee are both dean chin students. ron, out of everybody you might meet today is sihing to anybody before 1981. hoy is everybody sihing.

when chan man chung came to the u.s. in 1991, he did rank the jow ga sifu this way: hoy, #1--as dean chin FIRST student. raymond wong #2, as sifu chin TOP student. theres no need to go on from there. now maybe hoy (who is my sihing from 1981) did study jow ga before he met sifu, but this is not what he was saying before sifu died in 1984. i think it was 1967 when he met sifu, but then he split and open his own school two blocks away as a competitor to sifu. when his school close down, many of his students came back to sifu chin (after leaving him) like, deric mims, eugene mackie and others. this is why my si gung calls hoy "dean chin's" student, and deric and eugene "hoy student". if you dont believe me ask rahim muhammad, reza momenan, or hon lee (who was translating) or ron or raymond wong. we were all there at dinner with si gung in 1991, miss tao's restaurant, when si gung said this.

no offense, i am a old student of jow ga and i been keeping quiet for a long time, but this is the truth.

if you like you can email me to sigma69child@hotmail.com

thekuntawman Guest
    im sorry i mean ron is si hing to anybody AFTER 1981.

RENEGADE_MONK Guest
    Much props....Thanks for the clarification!! ;)

thekuntawman Guest
    siu hung chune is the name of small hung fist, the one that stars with the feet at shoulder with.

sei ping chune is the name of a technique in most of the jow ga forms.

here is some history, we only have a part of iron arrow because sifu forgot most of it. that form is now a "warlock" form. ask any old student what is a warlock form, its a jow ga secret ;)

when sigung came in 1990 or 1992, he told all dean chin's YOUNG students to call him sifu, because it was sad that he left us when we were so young. all the younger group split up between deric and raymond. this was a senitmental thing, it did not mean you should take sifu chin out of the family tree. which is what hoy and deric did. that was very disrepectful and i believe a politcs thing to say i am 3rd generation. which is wrong anyway. jow biu is actually chan man chung's SI GUNG. his sifu was still alive back then, and the only one out of our family to learn from him is raymond wong. this is where we got our advance staff (not pa kua, but advance version of sern tao gwun), 5 pattern fist, dy pa, 5 animals, and another broadsword form, there was no name, so i call it small tiger broadsword. but raymond wong met him and brought them back. anyway, si gung (cmc) is 3rd generation, sifu was 4th, and from hoy to me including raymond and everybody you met(i am the youngest one out of sifus students) we are the 5th.

mysteri Guest

if you don't mind..

whenever you get a chance, i'm sure sifu lee would like to know the name of the person behind the posts. so whenever you guys get a chance, would you please e-mail me your name and maybe a brief autobiography concerning you and your training. very respectfully requested and thank you for your input.

thekuntawman Guest
    maurice gatdula

mysteri Guest

thanks maurice..

your knowledge is insightful. it is always good to have another source to recall history. is ron wheeler your sifu now? do you teach in CA? either way, it is good to know that the family is active on the west coast.

TofuMaster Guest

Jow Ga

Can you guys tell me how many forms there are in Jow Ga and what are some of their names.
    Any info appreciated. Thanks.

thekuntawman Guest
    we cant say how many forms theres to jow ga because there are too many branches. in dean chins jow ga there is the standard 28 forms, then the four i mention, plus one bak mei form, one eagle claw form, and one praying mantis form.

sui-fuw Guest
    look kunta jow is **** and then watered down.
    sorry but you know jack.sorry urine

RENEGADE_MONK Guest
    sui-fuw,
    pleae elaborate????? :confused: :confused:

thekuntawman I posed that question some time ago about there being Bak Mei in our system being that Sijo did learn BM from his uncle before his Jow Ga training. there is also a trace of it in Sui Fok Fu