Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got a question...

Cool Inside fighting is the best method

Eight_Triagram_Boxer How does a smaller or weaker guy fight with a taller or stronger?

1. Prepare Mentally(mindset) and adapt your strategy wisely.
    2. You must have coordination of external and internal and the execution of your fighting techniques must be quick. If you fight a big guy you should fight him hard and to the inside. You have to be on a big guy inside to smother his attacks so he can't use his reach against you.(power)

If Your taller opponent is more skilled then you and stronger, then the best method is run as fast you can, so that you can live to fight another day. LOL

Repulsive Monkey
    With all due repects, i have NO problem with anyone disagreeing with me or not seeing things in my way. I DO have a BIG problem with people simply calling me wrong and then failing to provide ay valid explanation.
    Im socaratic in some respects and i REALLY dont care about what your 'ideals' are on fighting larger opponents. I also stated in plain english i was quite capable of mopping up my larger partner who is also not as skilled. The one who is better than me EASILY wipes me to the floor. IME if two people are a match in terms of skill then size and strength can become a very important factor.

If you would like to explain chi for me in a scientific way and use this same analogy to discribe how you issue power then i would LOVE to hear it.
    Untill then forgive me if i go with basic science.
    Force= MASS times Acceleration.
    Hence due to pure physics the larger you are and there better your body mechanics the more force you can generate.

You say...
    "Totally disagree with you about Yang Cheng fu."
    * Would you mind explaining this? Totaly disagreeing is pretty strong considering your not bringing any facts to the table.

"Smaller people like Cheng Man Ching was famed for his skill in being able to generate large capacities of Jin on bigger opponents than himself."
    * Irrelevent, my point is that if he was larger he would have generated even more. Its like a whip, the better your technique is the more you generate. The tougher and more refined your actual whip itself is, the more you generate.

"your idea about large bodies generating more Jin cos thats absolute rubbish."
    * Next time you use the terms 'absolute rubbish' to discribe something i have written please also take the time to actualy provide a REASON why you disagree.

"Their size had nothing to do with the amount of Jin they issued."
    * respectfully i say thats incorrect. Pure physics, force=mass times acceleration. There is no way around this...
    If you have another analogy i would love to hear it.

"If that is an external trait then you have proved yourself wrong by saying that internal and external arts are the same"
    * Actualy to me the only that makes an art 'internal' or 'external' is the region it comes from and the styles it shared co development with. Ever looked at our actual symbol for Bagua or Tai Chi? Notice that little black section in there? No such thing as a pure internal art.

"I agree being well trained internally is a large factor in sucess, but being large is rubbish, it corresponds to nothing at all."
    * Again please provide some direct evidence or factual basis for this claim? If not your just sprouting off dangerously uneduacated opinions which are actualy detrimental to most students development. Ego and over confidence are issues im sure you know this.

"I routinely trounce a class mate of mine who is 3 stone heavier and almost a foot taller than me. His body size is not the issue."
    * I do the same thing and stated it, what would happen if your partner was actualy the same skill level as you?

"If you beleive this then I would seriously query your understanding and experience of internal training."
    * That is a rude egotistical and outright disrepectfull thing to say. I would question whether you have actualy seriously tested your art at all let alone actualy thought about how to properly use it.

I dont enjoy responding to posts like this especialy not here, please next time at least give your argument a factual basis. Sifu says and chi explanations will get you sqaut with me.
    If my Tai Chi teacher who has studied for fifty years and who's linage actualy comes though YCF can explain power generation and body mechanic without resorting to 'chi' then i fail to see why anyone else shouldnt give it a go. His english is absolutely terrible so you have no excuse.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Bamboo Leaf

I would have to say i have the same sort of problems with your arguement that i do with monkeys. You have been at least polite and for that im thankfull but again you have not really provided a factual base. Only illuded to having some kind of higher knowledge that obviously i dont posses.

My point here is dead simple and others have stated it as well, skill is the main factor but being larger or taller is also an advantage. As is forcing your opponent to face into the sun or deliberately backing them into a corner.
    There are many factors involved but to say that size and strength are not part of the equation is imho foolish.
    My sifu is very small physicaly and can needless to say wipe the floor with any of us but he is a LOT more skilled. In similar skill levels size becomes a serious advantage. The other thing many neglect is that larger opponents are often well aware of this advantage and WILL use it to there favor.

I again relate back to simple science.
    Force=mass times accleration. Vector and gravity can also have some effect but this is the basic truth.

If ANYBODY can provide a method for generating power which somehow gets around the need for the 'mass' factor of the equation i will be all ears.
    Can we PLEASE however stick to the facts, or else im just gonna say that that big guy may also have good CHI and you can then deal with the fact he has more due to his increased size. Either way it doesnt matter.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Wink

We agree, my point is that it’s not your power it’s the ability to use their power.

with a 4 oz rope you can pull a 1000lb bull if it is attached to the right place.

This negates all ideas of being stronger, faster,.

The best guys that I have felt used my power to do what ever. This is the skill I talk about. With out real ting jing skill I think this is really very hard to understand.
    Next time your sifu dose something to you, try this.

See if you can feel what is happing. My guess would be that it happens before you know it. Can you by just touching someone and using your intent make them lose their balance. The people I work with can.

This is where I’m coming from. IMHO the training for this and mind set is very different then those who think of blowing some one away with the dreaded fa-jing. Just not the same.

I don’t say better, I just say different.
    Last edited by bamboo_ leaf; 04-22-2002 at 06:09 PM.
    enjoy life

how to beat a larger opponent...

Have you ever played jenga... remove the base and raise thier chi. then if you are smart, run and get help.

bamboo leaf-See if you can feel what is happing. My guess would be that it happens before you know it. Can you by just touching someone and using your intent make them lose their balance. The people I work with can.

I think what Bamboo leaf is trying to explain to you guys is a metaphysical method. Advanced energy theories beyond the limits of orthodox martial arts training. From Your above statement Bamboo Leaf, you are talking about projecting energy. This Method for this theory is for the imagination to lead the mind's intent, and the mind's intent to lead the energy.

But anyway as you know few people on this board is on that level of understanding to know what you are talking about. Since theories on the nature of the mind and spirit cannot be easily verified by intellectual analysis or experiment this kind of advanced energy theories you talk about are disbelieved, ridiculed,and even dismissed.

So my advice to you bamboo leaf, when you post sharing information keep your interpretation of martial art methods and theory sample. Hey thats what I do

Going to the inside is good if the guy you're fighting doesn't know how to grapple. But if he knows how to grapple you will surely be flat on your back.

Wink

Black Taoist,

Thanks I will keep that in mind.
    Your post made me smile, you know it. But you don’t say.
    I can understand why now.

david
    enjoy life

Phantom Menace-Going to the inside is good if the guy you're fighting doesn't know how to grapple. But if he knows how to grapple you will surely be flat on your back.

Your opinion is valid. Groundfighting skillls are just as important as standing fighting skills. It is to a internal martiai artist best advantage to train both forms of fighting. But I myself have no difficulty sparring with grapplers. My opinion is all a internal martial artist have to practice is a few hours of Tui Shou(push hands) to develop their sticking and listening energy and some freestyle inside fighting is all that is need to deal with them cats. Most of my students have groundfighting backgrounds, so I attain a lot knowledge and learn how to utilize my martial art method to adapt to their why of fighting.

But If a internal martial artist don't learn how to adapt, then your right, a person will be on their back.

BGB: Hook, line and sinker

E-Chuan

Hey blacktaoist:

thanks for the tape you sent me, i never in my life saw people move so fast doing pa kua chang it was great. the guy in white doing the circle walking on top of that small table, who was that guy he powerful. check your e-mail i gave you my home number I have a few people that like to start a private class with you. Call me around 8pm

P.S. the tape with your fight was also great, how did you do that flip kick in the air on that beijing guy?

HI,

well, grapplers, are nothing new. Though, submission wrestling is relatively new to competitive martial arts. Anyway, how about we turn the question around. Suppose you have a devastating, leg-breaking muay thai kick. What advice would you give your opponent? Imho, if he is not going to come in, then BT is right and he should run away. However, (and we're not really talking about "fights"), if he wanted to win, what should he do? To me, trying to beat you (muay thai) from the outside is not the way to win (not that winning is important ). I guess the underlying issue is "what happens when you can get your hands on the other guy, but you can't hurt him?" Well, that's a problem, but it shouldn't be related to the "style" of martial arts, only to your effectiveness. I.e., if whatever you've practiced doesn't work, then it doesn't matter how close or far you are. BTW, it wasn't mentioned, but I think there's a big difference between facing someone who is "large" and someone who is "strong." It's hard to suplex someone you can't get your arms around. Just rambling.

Respects,
    Esteban

Grand Taoism,

I will give you a call tomorrow, right know I am at work doing overtime. I e-mailed you my home number.

The Guy in white was Master Lu Zi Jian a Yin style practitioner. As for the flip kick in the air thing, I use to practice Shaolin Fukien Ground Boxing, before Ba Gua Zhang training, So I still know how to utilize a few techniques that I learned.

Talk to you later.

Wow interesting Thread
    My begining take on the whole MA study was to cultivate the ability of a smaller person (ie me) to overcome bigger stronger adverseries.

While I think Mass certianly plays a major part in a conflict(especially on those who tense up/panic) I have to agree with Nexus that mental intent to survive/desire to live,is the determining factor when the board is level.

I am sure you are aware of the orgins of the Outward Bound movement after WW1.Research of Mearchant seamen involved in wrecks found that the older seamen (over 50s) survived until rescure while younger seamen perished before rescure.This was put down to a build up of experience in extreme situations and sheer will power.

However I feel that there are as always a lot of varibles to factor in,when discussing this sort of thing.For example when people refer to skill levels please realize that the body shape of a person often determines a particular skill that he/she may be very good at.Please refer to a Heavy weight Boxing match then watch a bantum weight fight.They are from the same dicipline however there are many differences(yeah I know thats why there is weight divisions).(This is just a general example,please don't say its not internal )

I recently read on the emag a quote from Minamoto refering to the fact that even an untrained swordman could take out a master when using something new/unorthodox/unexpected.

Anyway good thread
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

I recently read on the emag a quote from Minamoto refering to the fact that even an untrained swordman could take out a master when using something new/unorthodox/unexpected.

That of course being the reason why there were so many different MA Insturctors at the Imperial Court and around there.

The Bodyguards needed a level of skill where they could face bassically any Opponent, while prefeeably being able to counter with a move that the Opponent didn't know.
    Knowing what weapons/techs the Opponents brings to a fight goes a long way towards winning the fight.

Peace.