Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick and tired

I still say write something about it. Focus that energy into doing something. With all due respect, some people do feel heated and more passionate about some things then others. That's not always a bad thing. Telling them to get over themselves isn't always the best advice. (not arguing with you at all Merry, just giving his view the proper credit too. After all it sucks to really feel passion for something and not have people understand...I feel that quite a bit, but not with martial arts.) People have a wide variety of personalities. I personally think that's a good thing. What is true, however, is that passion about something that never gets put to good use is a tragedy. If your anger about something makes you unable to function or retreat from normal life, etc. then I do think the "get over yourself" advice is the one to take.
    Other then that, do something with your feelings. Express them in a creative way.

Ryu
    Last edited by Ryu; 04-23-2002 at 10:47 PM.
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Ryu,

Actually, what you say makes a lot of sense.

Either get over yourself, or try and make a positive impact. Works for me.

Thumbs up

Cheers.
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Of course, if you get over yourself, AND make a positive impact... THEN you've got bliss

"I don't know what to do"

Stop moaning for one.

"But people ask opinions here, and I have to say, most of the time I just want to reply that what they are asking about is complete crap. So I write around it and be polite and get drawn into arguments."

Give us an example. Are you talking about the endless BJJ vs. Kung Fu arguments? Or not?
    I would love to know what people ask that is 'complete crap'.

I'm on this board all day, it running behind my work. Keeps me entertained, occupied, learning and debating things. That to my mind is a good thing - there are some rubbishy threads occasionally but this is a public forum.

"I think people get worked up over this crap WAY too much. I think they take it way too seriously--warrior spirit...heart of a dragon..."I'm a MARTIAL ARTIST," as though it were some sort of calling that only the chosen few
    could understand.... aaaahhhh!"

Amen to that my brother.

I know you take to your training very seriously
    E Fist, but let me tell you how lucky you are to be training with the master you are training with. Most of us don't have that kind of opportunity. Be thankful for it and get on with doing your own thing, because the THAT is the state of martial arts for YOU - training with an excellent and wise Sifu in NYC. Some guy jumping around in shiny blue trousers with a fan is not Kung Fu for you, it is a magazine which you can take or leave.

Does a world class pianist playing the Albert Hall look at Smash Hits magazine (****ty pop mag for 12 year old girls) and say "Oh my god, this is not music! What must the public think?! I must give up the piano!!"

Its not like Inside KungFu is the first crappy MA magazine.

Everyones b!thcing about the quality of conversation here but everyone still hangs around and no-one starts any better threads.

Raaaaaaahhhh!

Hmmm. I think he has a legite gripe really. I dont see it as whining anyway. I think the arguments he refers to are the arguments where there are no answers but they crop up almost everyday, for example, groundfighting vs kungfu, old vs new, etc.... They are barely legite arguments, most turn out to be trolls. Some are posted by people who feel they have had an "insight" into something pertianing to the subject.
    Any of us who practice martial arts knows these things cant really be answered so why kick the dead horse so often. I wouldnt even mind if they came up every once in a while but it happens atleast weekly.
    Anyway Efist, you want to see somthing frustrating, go to the wing chun forum, there are some good guys there and a whole lot of trolls. as a matter of fact, the trolls out number the gems, and the pretentiousness there makes me want to punch someone really hard.

Yeah, he has a legit gripe about the subject matter of some of the threads on the forum, BUT why get upset or angry at an internet forum when you have good training in the real world?
    What does it matter? If there's a good thread you want to contribute to, then do it, if not, instead of moaning about it either start a good thread, go to another board or get off the internet and go train.

I am trying to discourage Efist from not posting anymore, because his posts are good. Reality based. I trust his opinion (as much as you should anybody on the internet ), so to have him leave because of a few BJJ threads is quite annoying, and unnecessary, IMO.
    Last edited by scotty1; 04-25-2002 at 12:45 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I'll miss you, Evo, (sniff) gee, I'm gettin kinda misty-seriously, I will miss your posts, they offer a refreshing taste of reality-something that is much needed here. Drop in on occasion, just to snap the dreamers and warriors from Fantasy Island back to the real world!!!!!

This is in response to the first posting of this thread.

I really respect you evolutionfist, you've made a lot of good postings, so i don't want to make enemies over this but:

But this stuff is killing me, and naming this WuShu $hit as traditional,

it's called "modern wushu" becuase it's modern. It was taken from ZhaQuan and Shaolin styles, but even pro wushu atheletes nowadays will tell you , it's NOT traditional. the moves are so skewed from traditional and the applications hidden very very deeply if they still DO exist in the forms, that most ppl who are up to date with wushu will tell you, it's different, it's NOT trad. Yes the ppl saying it's still tradtional are retard.ed.

"-its a disgrace to the true men who came before us and -researched, studied emense hours, compiled and shared this information to arrive to us today. "

U don't think masters in china spent hours and hours, people like Wu Bin spending their entire life researching and developing and spreading wushu?
    and you don't think the atheletes train hard?

It seems like most of the traditional ppl who talk total cra.p about wushu are just jealous that they're style isn't as impressive to the general public. Now i don't know if that is you or not, but i have seen a lotta ppl who it applies to.

and BTW, im a traditional kung fu practicioner!

Too bad not everybody is as insightful as you and shares your opinion.
    Heres some good advice, dont go into the real world. You wont like it!
    1. Know the positions
    2. Hold positions
    3. Escape the positions
    4. Move from position to position
    5. Learn the attacks
    6. Counter the attacks
    7. Time on the mat
    a. drilling
    b. sparring
    8. Repeat (thanks R.D.)

?

are you serious or sarcastic about saying "too bad not everyone shares your own opinion"

and yah, i know what the real world's like, which is why i rarely respond to anything on this whole board. in fact i don't even know why i read stuff here sometimes.

CF,

I think FightFan was talking to E-fist.