Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the importance of uniforms

I like it as it means I don't get laughed at for turning up in a Scooby Doo T-Shirt.

Seriously - I'm not bothered to be honest - its the person INSIDE the uniform that will kick your ass unless you are good.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

"it has practicality to it within a style IE: The aikido stylist can hide foot movement with the low hanging "skirts", while in kung fu, the uniform is loose fitting and allows for complete motion."

That's a good point. There is a possible disadvantage, though, of people taking the uniform for granted. If someone becomes accustomed to applying his/her style with the uniform in mind (ie: the freedom of movement your uniform allows or the "handles" your opponent's uniform has, etc.), that person will suffer if trying to apply the MA with the same level of proficiency as when the wardrobe is different.

That point shouldn't cause much trouble, as long as people understand what they're capable of in and out of uniform (even Water Dragon's "Brithday" uniform ). One of my friends sometimes practices in his work clothes. He says, "If you can't fight in your regular clothes, you should change your style or change your wardrobe."

The whole "not accustomed to" thing could also apply to practicing in different environments, different terrain, against multi-opponent, with/without weapons, etc., but that's a whole different can of trolls .
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

LOL @ DS!

I wouldn't laugh at a Scooby Doo T-shirt. I would laugh if you were wearing a headband that said "Ninja" on it.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Originally posted by Tigerstyle
    I would laugh if you were wearing a headband that said "Ninja" on it.
    It actually reads "Enlightened One", and has a picture of Mr.Miyagi* either side of the writing.

*Read with an overpronounced "g". A-la Daniel-san.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

I love Mr Miyagi. That guy fired my interest in the MA before anyone else did, when I was 7 or 8 years old.

[Wipes tear from eye]

If I like a uniform (generally quite plain, perhaps darker shades): It'll make me feel proud to be part of the group (if its a good group)
    Increases the camaraderie you feel towards your training partners
    Means you don't knacker your clothes
    Reduces washing.

However, if its a crap uniform I think it actually has a negative effect:
    If you feel silly wearing something, then you're not going to train as well
    If a new person joins the group then it increases their feelings of not being part of the group until they can afford a uniform
    Its another financial pressure which some people can ill afford
    If its a bad uniform it looks tacky

Talking I'm inspired

Daniel: "You're the best friend I ever had."
    Miyagi: "Oy, you pretty okay too!"

Kreese- "This is a Karate Dojo, not a knitting class...You don't drop a challenge and leave old man."

Daniel- "This school sucks, man."

Kreese- Mercy is for the week. We do not train to be merciful here. A man confronts you on the street, he is your enemy. Enemies deserve no mercy. What is the problem Mr. Laurence?

Mr. Miyagi- No such thing bad student. Only bad teacher.

Mr Miyagi-concenrate, focus power, make good fight.

Miyagi: Now use head for something other than target

Miyagi:Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished.
    Same here. You karate do "yes," or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," [makes squish gesture] just like grape.

Miyagi: Karate come from China, sixteenth century, called te, "hand." Hundred year later, Miyagi ancestor bring to Okinawa, call *kara*-te, "empty hand." Daniel Larusso: I thought it came from Buddhist temples and stuff like that. Miyagi: You too much TV.

Sorry, back to the point....

Where I train the uniform consists of a T shirt, choice of pants is down to you (though some kind is required, sorry water dragon). The only designation on the t shirt is the colour, white for students, black with white logo for senior students, black with red logo for instructor grades. As we can train at any clubs in thr organisation it helps give you an idea of whos at what level, if we had the full silk thing I think I would probably feel a pratt

Just my 2 cents

Thumbs up

I'm getting 'Kung Fu' overall this summer For the China trip that is..
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I'd just like to state that, even though I am not into uniforms much, aikido uniforms are awesome, even if some practitioners seem to believe that all attackers are amazingly unbalanced.

Aikido teaches you defend yourself against lunatics, as only a lunatic would attack that way.

Just kidding. I like aikido, its just some schools are kind of funky, just like every martial art, except that indian one, and ninjutsu.

I don't believe ninja should practice in uniform, for the teacher's sake.

Ninja Teacher: OK, uh...Bob? Use your free hand to trap his weapon.

Ninja Student 1: I'm not Bob. Bob's in the bathroom.

Ninja Teacher: Uh...who are you?

Ninja Student 2: That's Carl.

Ninja Student 3: I'M CARL!!!

Ninja Student 2: Sorry.

Ninja Teacher(starting to really flip out): WHO SAID THAT?!!

ROFLMAO!!! @ KC!

I got so excited reading your post I almost kicked my mom in the head!

Sweet.

I tried to look at that site earlier and my company has firewalled it. Bastid fukkers.

Uniforms bring a moderate amount of traditional structure to what should already be a structured learning environment. It is, above all else, a psychological tool used to make the beginning student feel he is part of a larger group of like-minded people. As he progresses in his training, he may opt out of the uniform wearing phase, recognizing that it in itself is valueless to the overall pedagogical aspect of MA training.
    K. Mark Hoover

LOL@KC

if a ninja teacher has a room full of 'shadow warriors', does he even know it? or do they blend into their surroundings too much?

surely, there have been similar discussions to this one by various school boards, etc. much of the rationale that's being provided mirrors that in any learning environment. (budokan's statements about building a structured learning environment, particularly)

stuart

Ninjas totally flip out without their uniforms.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Yeah, but when they wear their ninja uniforms they are totally SWEET!! Especially when they whale away on their guitars....
    K. Mark Hoover