Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Gonna get jumped tomarrow

"The Art of Fighting, widdout Fighting..." - Bruce Lee in ENTER THE DRAGON

I hate the fact that in the movie he says this to some supposed sucker "kiwi" guy with an ATROCIOUS accent. Said "mate" way too much, too.. know what I mean, mate?

Anyway.. I agree with the last post on this from Roman.

Always best to turn the other cheek, but we all know that sometimes that's just not an option. Run like Carl Lewis is a good solution, I feel.

How do most of you feel about running from a fight? Pride nail you down, or something else?

Cheers (mate).
    Behind every door, there is a sheep with Nunchaku.. just waiting.

i haven't been in a fight with someone my age since i was a little elementary school bully. i have been in fights with men. and have also taken many blows to refuse to fight. i am an odd one, but meh. infact, last fight i was in was with a 30 some odd year old man who choked me, i didn't do jack until he pushed it to far. but don't use me as an example, i am infact the one trying to post his video of self destruction on this site.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

sharkey ... at first i was gonna say that maybe you jumped the gun a little and should have given him a chance to expalin himself, but now i agree with you.
    where's my beer?

oooo ooooo, i know a way to keep someone from choking u...

i saw it on TLC... the US Marines use it.

what u do when they go to choke u is put your right hand - or good hand - to the front of their arm and then catch their elbow with your left hand...

u rotate a bit towards your left hand while pushing in on their elbow HARD. that should break the elbow...

and just for the hell of it, i'll explain the 'kill-them' procedure that makes up the rest of the technique.

then u keep their hand in your left hand and grab the seat of their pants. (they should be bending over forward) sweep them down with the heel of your foot, causing them to fall on their back.

still holding their hand, kick up in the air and then bring the heal of your BOOT on their nose...

it was cool watching this. (i saw the drills)
    it may sound like smack, but in the US Marines use it, it must be somewhat effective.

It's smack. Trust me.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

u sure it's smack? it was on 'Forbidden Places' on either TLC or Discovery... very good show

this show was a documentary of the US Marines i believe and it was showing their training and how they were trained to kill.

it showed how they were taught ot shoot objects by reflex and not by thinking.

when they were showing the training that the marines did against a choker, they did it repeatedly and fast. it wasn't slow or over-fancified. it seemed very western and very simple.

basically what they said was, 'if u can keep them doing it over and over, they will know what to do by reflex, and they won't need to think in a time where thinking is very difficult'

i've seen movies and TV shows that claimed to have real martial arts in it and i can tell a lot of them are smack... but seriously, that didn't look like smack at all. (creepy how easily we can be turned into mindless killing machines, eh?)

Originally posted by Julien
    it may sound like smack, but in the US Marines use it, it must be somewhat effective.
    The technique is viable (though not nearly as easy/effective as it looks), but the logic that if the US Marines use it, it must be somewhat effective is flawed.

I used to train special operations teams in hand-to-hand combat. Much of what they learn is as you say, "smack." The greatest fallacy is that in a 4-hour (or whatever) block of training, you can master the techniques and develop the conditioning required to kill someone with a single blow.

They teach military these techniques because they are a) impressive (boosting confidence), b) easy to grasp, c) possibly effective as an absolute last resort.

With special operations, where hand-to-hand might be the first choice, and firearms might be the last choice, we did things a bit differently. I still burned the manual though (literally).

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

Julien and BrenCarey,

You're both kidding....

The kid has (had) one evening to prepare for this jerk and you're teaching him a sweep thing that will involve practice for, how long?

Marine combat has no place in school. Or have you forgotten what the kid is asking who started the thread. He doesn't want to kill the boy...

Geez.

It's smack. There are better ways to get out of a choke--and if you're in a proper choke you'd better be using those--hitting somebody's elbow in that manner won't do a thing.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by NYerRoman
    Julien and BrenCarey,

You're both kidding....

The kid has (had) one evening to prepare for this jerk and you're teaching him a sweep thing that will involve practice for, how long?

Marine combat has no place in school. Or have you forgotten what the kid is asking who started the thread. He doesn't want to kill the boy...

Geez.
    I wasn't responding to the applicability to this situation, just the viability of the technique. I was simply saying that the technique is viable, but that it just isn't as simple as it is made out to be.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    It's smack. There are better ways to get out of a choke--and if you're in a proper choke you'd better be using those--hitting somebody's elbow in that manner won't do a thing.
    Yes, there most definitely are better ways to get out of a choke. I can think of several off the top of my head. It is, however, quite viable to execute an arm break in the manner described if I understand the desription correctly.

My signature move is something similar, and I have actually deployed it in real hand-to-hand. It really doesn't take much of a blow to severely damage and/or break the elbow if it is already straight, provided your angle and leverage or correct.

I pictured the move described as holding the opponent's hand down to your shoulder/clavical with one hand while striking the elbow with the other hand. Not the best angle, particularly if the attacker is taller, but still viable.

Also, as you pointed out, this would not be my technique of choice.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

you know that you can bite someone's nose clean off?

leave you with a new orifice to pleasure yourself with whether they be alive or dead afterwards.
    where's my beer?

Brent--

I'll agree that what you say can happen--as long as "first things first." If you're being seriously choked/strangled by somebody who knows what they are doing, you need to focus on breathing or keeping the blood supply to your head. Once that is accomplished, follow-ups are variable.

How's that?

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Brent--

I'll agree that what you say can happen--as long as "first things first." If you're being seriously choked/strangled by somebody who knows what they are doing, you need to focus on breathing or keeping the blood supply to your head. Once that is accomplished, follow-ups are variable.

How's that?
    Right. I'm just saying it's possible, not that it's advisable for a particular situation.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

hey whoa, i wasn't telling anyone to do this... don't go killing anyone (although i think u need heavy military boots to do it)

and u don't do it while u're getting choked... u do it when they lunge for your neck

i explained it kinda wrong

if they lunge, u step back a bit and throw both arms up, left hand infront of right... the right hand catches the right hand of the opponent and moves it a bit to the left while the left hand moves right, into the direction of the elbow and breaks it.

:P