Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gonna get jumped tomarrow

I'm not touching that with a ten-foot pole.

It's really not my field, and I have little faith in such techniques, so I will allow others to discuss it.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

"I'm gonna rip out your eyes and skullf@ck you, boy!" - some inbred drill sargeant

I love that last comment. That's true class. You're a sick bugger, mate. That's what makes it all so amusing!

We all know countless ways to break this and get out of that. I think that we've all digressed from the true thread, but hey, who cares? We're all having fun, otherwise we wouldn't be posting, right?

GrapplingInsanity's done his bit at school, and now we're all talking about how we could have done this or that. It's all good.

Hey that choking counter move sounded neat. I've learned similar techniques in self defence and ground fighting. I wish that I knew a bit more about pressure points to really capitalise on these things. That kind of thing has always interested me, pressure points and hard qigong.

Anyway, no-one answered my question... run from a fight yet?

I haven't myself, although I have asked someone to back down, and I have taken blows (that is HITS or PUNCHES, Sharky) without dealing any out. Sometimes a passive line works better.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing your stories.

Cheers.
    Behind every door, there is a sheep with Nunchaku.. just waiting.

Re: The warrrior-Scholar in everyday life

Originally posted by Stumblefist

Many others have said the same thing here is a straight forward way. It really looks like GI choose this path or he leaped to embrace it rather than choose another.. It is so effortless to simply do nothing. Even as someone else said.. what's the problem even in getting hit and not caring about it? I have often hurt myself more in household accidents than most people have punched me anyway, what's the big deal? Simply doing nothing, you don't even need to think about it.
    It's all in what your goals are.

If your goal is to attain some degree of serenity or some buddhist ideal or some other goal related to whether or not you personally engage in violence, doing nothing is a viable solution.

If your goal is not not be beaten up regularly, doing nothing is not a viable solution. Based on my experience in high school, the experiences of my friends in high school (both as students and as teachers) I say with some degree of confidence that the vast majority of the time, doing nothing and taking the beating merely marks you as a convenient target, and you'll be receiving regular beatings until graduation.

This is not true in the real world, of course, where taking a punch and walking (or better, running) away is often the best option. But high school is not the real world.

You say that you've hurt yourself more in household accidents than most people have punched you. Have you ever been curbstomped? Held down while beaten? Slammed into lockers and worked over?

All of these things have happened to either myself or friends of mine in high school, usually while we were trying to run away.

In my case, running away, and doing nothing and just "getting hit and not caring about it" resulted in more violence directed towards me, not less. It was retaliating and fighting back that resulted in my eventually being left alone.

You are welcome to your opinions of what is effective in preventing further violence, but they go directly against my personal experience, and that of many of my friends. All situations are different and your results may vary, of course. But I gave advice based on what I personally have seen work and what I personally have seen not work. I imagine many of the others on this thread that gave similar advice did the same. You are free to disagree, but dismissing those who give it as warlike or unenlightened helps no one.

"The opposite of good conduct is bad conduct and this embraces all deeds which cause harm to self and others or which fail to do good or which fail to challenge or resist bad. This includes acts rooted in hatred, anger, pride, jealousy, envy, violence, hurting others in any coarse or subtle way. On a subtle level it also includes all forms of disrespect to others, bad words, even thinking bad thoughts about others...
    Thus it follows that the fundamental incentive to do good, and to not do bad, is the thought of the consequences of one's actions, thoughts and words. Through careful analysis of these consequences one is led into leading a moral life which is either neutral or good in its overall conduct. Mindfulness of good and bad and the consequences of both paths, is the dominant thread which, on a practical level, guides the Buddhist through the whole subject of ethics."
    Quite interesting, but unless GrapplingInsanity is a Buddhist, it's somewhat less than meaningful. I could quote from several different religions supporting my own position, but such quotes would only be meaningful if you accept the assertions of the religion to begin with, so why bother? You might as well tell him not to eat pork because it's against God's word.

i think father dog just called budah a worthless fat ba.stard.
    where's my beer?

Heeey Buddah! - Monkey in Monkey Magic series

FatherDog wrote "I could quote from several different religions supporting my own position, but such quotes would only be meaningful if you accept the assertions of the religion to begin with, so why bother?"

Good point, however in this case, I think that it's the sentiment in Stumblefists' message that makes a case. I agree with the point of view regarding good behaviour, and I try to uphold it myself (sometimes with moderate success), however as FatherDog has pointed out, sometimes adherence to these 'rules' can mean a large sacrifice (namely getting your head smacked in repeatedly) if you're in the wrong area.

It's a hard call.

Cheers.

ugh... whenever i hear about curbstopping, my teeth hurt... that has to be the worst thing imagineable... (waits for the many follow-up posts that will tell of worse things)

Julien,

I am *so* with you on that. I can't even watch American History X without my finger perched directly over the fast forward button.

--
    Rev. Tim

Curb what?

I've never heard of that. Would you like to share?

its when you make someone bite the curb and then stomp on the back of their head. like in american history x.
    where's my beer?

Re: comprehnsive situations

Originally posted by Stumblefist
    Your situation described is more at at the other end of the spectrum and covered as in "fight when you have to".
    Understandable. By the way GI described his situation, my judgement was that he was already at the "have to" level; the person in question was seeking him out for the purpose of fighting him, and in a closed environment like high school it's not possible to avoid this situation for any significant length of time. I was advising him accordingly, or trying to.

But still the stragegy applies, you don't bring it on yourself with mutual insulting and posturing.
    And that's good advice in general, but when someone's asking advice regarding someone who's already trying to physically attack them, telling them they shouldn't have brought it on themselves with "mutual insulting and posturing" isn't helpful.

About the curb-pounding etc. ... i said punched, as in i've broken my own bones, bumped head etc worse than i've been punched. "punched is not "street as weapon" nor "curb as weapon."
    This was in response to you asking what's so difficult about "being punched and just not caring." Nothing, if your attacker just punches you, watches you "not caring" and stops. It's been my experience that this simply doesn't happen, though. I was making the point that while you can perhaps take a punch and not care, someone attacking you isn't going to stop there.

Twisted_S is absolutely right. I am not promoting religion nor using religion to support a position. Just extracting an idea applicable to everyday life.
    It's the assertion that the idea was applicable to everyday life that was being disagreed with. Rather than argue from experience or facts (i.e., telling how it could be applied in this situation to resolve the conflict, or detailing similar experiences of yours that showed it as an effective means of resolution) you presented a quote supporting the idea. This is an argument from authority, and as such is only effective if the authority is accepted. While I think there are some excellent ideas there and much wisdom can be found in buddhist teachings, I'm not a Buddhist and don't fully agree with the presented idea of what constitutes "right conduct", so it's not really applicable... and I don't think GI is a Buddhist either.

"waits for the many follow-up posts that will tell of worse things"

****it i missed my cue.

here's a meathod of torture off the top of my head that would be much worse. cut out a small piece of your victims intestine, nail it to a tree, and chase their feet with fire. better than a clown for children's birthday parties!
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 05-09-2002 at 11:05 AM.
    where's my beer?

Intestines..?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAA....cough.

That's charming. I've heard some horrible ones this weekend or so, and that's getting up there. Nice work.

GDA: sounds like the vikings' "long walk"... except they did it voluntarily, IIRC.

-geoff
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

I enjoy Long Walks along the beach...

Gross. That's pretty special, you guys. I can't really share any stories/anecdotes along these lines... pretty boring, really. In NZ a 'long walk' is generally to the fish and chip shop.

Heard a rather sad joke, thought that I might share it... I'd like to apologise right off the bat if it offends anyone, 'cos it's just downright offensive.

Q: What did the paralyzed, deaf, dumb and blind mentally retarded 10 year old boy get for Christmas?

A: Cancer.

It's rather nasty.

Cheers.

Not sure about the long walk.

Personally, I prefer the small death.