Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick and tired

Thumbs down Sick and tired

I'm done with the traditional vs non-traditional debate, in fact alittle tired of this board and MA all together -- I think this will be my last post for a while.

Just read Inside Kung Fu at Taco Bell and might as well use it to wipe up when the tacos hit home.

The guy with the fan, quite lauighable and not because of his wushu weapon of choice. His quote: "Most traditionalists focus on discipline and aesthetic form, whereas non-traditionalists place more emphasis on self-defense and combat."

100% backwards. I'm fedup with this debate and topic.

When I think of "tradional" anything, I think of the old timers. Now.

1) Do you think the old time martial (warriors, combatant) artists were concerened with "aesthetics, or getting their a$$ home at night?

So is hopping around acting drunk with a ***eta$$ fan traditional? NO! Not unless you are ready to face off against me with an aluminum baseball bat with said ***ata$$ fan.

I just have nothing to offer this board for now. Don't want to seem negative right now. I'm in a great mood. God really came through for me yesterday and I got hooked up with a nice cheep brand new car -- been ghetto hopping it with a piece of crap for 4 years; brekaing down, no windshield wipers ect. So I'm stoked.

But people ask opinions here, and I have to say, most of the time I just want to reply that what they are asking about is complete crap. So I write around it and be polite and get drawn into arguments.

I'm done -- for now. I do not want to be associate with such nonsese. I want to be considered a martial artist, but how can I in good standing when there are people out there like this? Look at the photos in that article. With the little kid. The guy is beding over for him to hit him in the throat -- no offensive moevemnt on his part at all.

Now, I love children being interested in these arts. Great for them and the arts. I also understand children's -- and even women's -- limits as far as their ability matching up against full-sized men. But teach them reality. Give them the foundation now, so they can add bulk and weight and power later.

This move towards Wushu is pi$$ing me off. I don't know what to do, or what can or if even anything should be done. I'm happy with my training. Couldn't be happier. And I'm looking forward to the day of meeting some true warriors in combat, wether on a mat, in a rind, cage or even a gym somewhere. I do. Working for that now, adding day by day and refining day by day.

But this stuff is killing me, and naming this WuShu $hit as traditional, its a disgrace to the true men who came before us and researched, studied emense hours, compiled and shared this information to arrive to us today. The great men who brought this over to us Westerners and shared this.

It boils my blood.

Sorry for the rant. I don't know why, it just makes me feel like someone is raping my girl when I hear comments like that. I think martial arts and I think of fists and blades. I try to best understand the danger surrouneded in being involved in such "devices of ill omen." The unavoidable conclusion of kill or be killed.

To see some guy in a tootoo hopping around saying ANYTHING about traditional -- no way. Can't take it. I'd rather he take his plastic trought, put it on his amtle and **** the fu(k up. Don't say $hit, enjoy your PERFORMANCE and be on your way.

Royal guards were martial artists. Then there are the unichs who play at the opera house. Some could be MA, most have no balls.

Now with your eyes open, seeing past the "this vs. that", you are on your way to becomeing a true martial artist, I wish you the best.

stop this trolling!

To be hones there havent been many threads the past few months i've even bothered to open (the title doesnt appeal to me in any way), but i do lurk and read some things.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Efist - I think some of it is just being an 'oldtimer' on this board. For example, when I first got on I asked many obvious questions, to those who knew the answers anyway. Now, many of those questions seem tired and boring. Shaolin is right though, we are on our way!

As for the rest, you are an martial artist, dont worry aout those that arent, and those that pretend to be, or mistake themsleves for them. You know what you have inside you and what it is capable of. The rest of us will be here when you get back!

"I don't know what to do."

You sure have a passion about what is wrong with it. Why not write into the magazine?

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

EF - I am surprised that it took you this long to figure out this board is full of non-sense. In fact, speaking about martial arts at all can be considered non-sensical.

It, like wushu, fun and serves its purpose. Anyway, we'll miss your pointless banter .

All of what you have said E-Fist is true. I hate "modern" KungFu training.

*I hate the way most modern schools turn it [any style really] into kickboxing with 5mins at the end for forms.

*I hate the way that people pretend that Martial Arts are just about learning discipline and self-control.

*I hate the wave after wave of "next big thing" mentality, from SCARS training to Qi-projection to Navy-Seal systems to "Jeet Quan Do" by "Grandmaster Tao".

*I hate the fact that so many styles I'd like to try are misrepresented by sh!tty Senseis/Sifus who leave me with nothing but a bitter taste.

*I hate the fact that I come here to learn about KungFu and end up arguing with Rolls/Talking about Oatcakes or moaning!

F*ck it lets all moan for a while shall we?
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

ANd I hate the way that d!ckheaded closed-minded people like Ralek claim that ONE style is superior. ANY style can be deadly, two inches of water can kill if used correctly you thick-headed moron!!! If I hit you hard enough with Tofu it will kill!!!

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE STARTED YOU B*STARDS!!!
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

Besides, Inside Kung Fu is a waste of time. I dont like to dig through ads to find the articles. Which I think is ironic because these people who pay for advertising pay the magazine, then you pay for the magazine, just to flip through the ads that have paid the magazine. Which means someone at Inside Kungfu is getting paid waaaaaay too much.

Talking

Man, a lot of folks on the rag today, must be that time of the month!!!

This thread cracks me up. Of course there is a lot b.s. martial arts out there, I thought that was obvious to most of us. But who cares? I feel bad for them & think they are silly, but really could care less about what they think or do. They have no affect on what I think or do, so i could give a flying f#ck.
    True that it gives people a bad image of martial arts, but that only matters if you care what they think. I don't. I know what I know and I do what I do and I'm happy with it. If some people want to jump around in purple pajamas and indulge in a martial arts fantasy, thats their biz.

And I didnt think anyone really took this board seriously, I sure don't, I just check it out cause i have mad a.d.d. and can't concentrate at work, its a good place to talk some sh!t and have a laugh.

And sometimes there is good and interesting info here beyond that. There are some knowlegeble peeps on here too. To think you are above everyone sounds a bit condecending. There is a mix of substance and garbage. It should be easy to see what is what. Everyone is at different stages of understanding and/or different points of view, and that adds a certain entertaining dynamic to the banter.

Sounds like you need to go hit the heavy bag for a while, maybe it all won't seem like such a big freakin deal after you work out your frustration. Or maybe you just need to spend some time with your lady
    Last edited by MutantWarrior; 04-23-2002 at 12:47 PM.

Personally, I take Inside Kung-Fu in about the same way as I do many of the posts/ers here...good for a laugh once in a while, great for frustration building many a time, but generally vapid. Every once in a while, though, you find that gem that makes it all seem worthwhile. Isn't it a parable for life itself in that respect? Deal with a lot of crap, try not to let it drive you into the ground, and cling to those moments that make life "good".

I'm not really trying to be a metaphysical graffiti artists here, my point is why not try to be one of those shining jewels? Like Ryu suggested, write something...do something. Do your best to show the ignorant masses what your truth is.

In the end, that's all we can do anyways is try.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

I'd just like to say that if someone doesn't know how to use their wushu for self defence, then they aren't very good at wushu. This is true for both people who are labled "modernists " and "traditionalists" :-D

I use this board for entertainment first, information second. Sad but true. Unfortunately it has been a little boring lately .

I don't mind the traditional vs contemporary arguments, but I don't much like the whole kung fu vs XXX arguments that always seem to pop up. Ultimately tho, you just ignore those threads if you don't like them
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Well I know I'm the new kid on the block, but as such I thought I'd point out that I've rathered enjoyed some of the BJJ vs. Kung Fu stuff out there. Seeing arguements back and forth on which is better has given me a better understanding of what different styles have to offer, their faults, and thier likes and differences. What's commonly referred to as "Trolling" on this board I see as somewhat healthy, ofcourse all things can be taken to an unhealthy degree, but I see some of the XXXvsYYY as good 'ol fashioned competition only Internet Forum style. I'm sure alot of you compete in MA which is evident even when you shun the actions of trolling, yet still partake in the XXXvsYYY trash talk competition anyway. Even if it's to play the neutral party, your still posting, therefore your participating in the game.

I don't know alot about MA yet, I'm still pretty green, but I think I do know a thing or two about people. And when you get alot of Super serious people together and mix them with alot of misunderstood, people, or people with different or more laxed view on things major friction can often take place.

Evolutionfist, I seriously doubt that you are alone in your beliefs and thoughts. It seems you feel the MA world, or culture, or what ever you call it is being corrupted, and misguided. Things probably are getting twisted and tangled up a bit, as things tend to do in the American culture. Things often have a tendency to untangle themselves as well. It matters not really, seems to me if you really look at things fundamentally from a traditional stand point, then the silent personal triumphs, and gained knowledge of wisdom over years of hard work should be enough for you to stand strong in the face of riticule, slanderism, and painfully ignorant actions, thoughts, or views if that's how you see them.

But that may just be the coffee talking

Hell, I just do what I do because it's fun.

I don't stand around worrying about staying alive or using it for self defense or anything else. I just go because I enjoy it. Self defense is an interesting aspect, but not one I ever considered seriously. Call me naive I guess, but I don't live my life wondering what bad thing is going to happen to me next, and how I can prepare for it.

I think people get worked up over this crap WAY too much. I think they take it way too seriously--warrior spirit...heart of a dragon..."I'm a MARTIAL ARTIST," as though it were some sort of calling that only the chosen few could understand.... aaaahhhh!

Sheesh, get over yourself (universal, not directed at anybody specific) already. It's all a freakin game...nothing more. Kinda like the mental masturbation we engage in when we discuss things on this forum.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 04-23-2002 at 10:38 PM.