Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Seriously, do you really think joint locks and kung fu movements are fast?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

ummm...how come nobody has mentioned jamming?

Or did I miss something?

Connect with the first jab and ride it in (sticky hands)

evade the second jab (bob and weave, it's just semantics
    even if you take a grazing blow from the second jab, it's
    just a jab, I don't care how strong you are, if you haven't
    learned to take a punch you shouldn't have taken your
    running shoes off to begin with.

jam the first jab

when he goes to throw it again he will find his balance is
    totally screwed as his body reacts to the jam

proceed to show him what short , inside power is really all about

matt

wow, this must be my ****iest post yet
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs down

Does this stupid troll thread actually merit 90 posts?

I think it merits 91.

Whenever I spar with gloves on I am aware of the fact that they let me strike in places that I could not if I was ungloved. With that in mind I am trying not to get into the habit of whacking someone (gloved) in the side of the head/skull, instead, even though I am able to strike that area I will go for somewhere that is effective with or without gloves (chin/nose etc.) to build good habits.

Its all about intelligence, y'see?

sifuabel,

it isn't a troll thread if some good information comes out of it. i think it's actually the best possible thing to do with tinman's threads, aside from perhaps ignore them entirely (and for some reason, we at KFO seem constitutionally unable to do that; hell, you yourself took the time to bump this troll thread back up to the top).

stuart b.

Uggh. <sigh>

As I said somewhere else today, rule #1 of self-defense is to be where the attack is not. Standard procedure for many styles such as kickboxing is to be where the attack is, but block or absorb it with a part of the body that doesn't hurt so badly.

Before I let my students spar, we do months of distance training and footwork. Blocking is very much a last resort. That's why we have locks, traps, etc. - to prevent future attacks and control the opponent so you don't have to block.

I tell all of my students that if you play the blocking game, eventually you will lose. That is, if you want go toe-to-toe with an opponent blocking repeated attacks, eventually you will get hit.

Never play on a level field. By that, I mean that a conflict should never be my speed against your speed. My students can beat faster martial artists because they have better positioning and more control over their opponent.

So, my response is that it should never be an issue.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

Hey, you're right... I've NEVER learned to use footwork or evasion tactics of any kind or to cover my movement with a jab or a kick so I don't get hit while I'm trying to control the distance.

Hell, usually, we just stand there and hit each other as hard as we can until somebody drops.

Wow! Where can I get me some of that Kung Fu stuff??!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

brentcarey,

[sigh] you've just stepped in pet peeve #1 these days.

how about not making unnecessary and inaccurate generalizations about other styles than your own?

what's frustrating about this is that once you get past the condescending opening 'sentence' and the ludicrous caricature of real kickboxing theory, you make some really solid points.

standard procedure in kickboxing is a little more intricate than you give credit. absorbing shots is a fairly complex tactic. either cutting off the angle of an attack to snuff its force or rolling with it to dissipate its force is a way of not being where the attack is. the apex of the attack is one place. good position would be to put yourself where the attack 'isn't yet' or where the attack 'isn't anymore.' absorption is a good way to use positioning without giving up ground.

i agree wholeheartedly that blocking multiple attacks is a losing game. eventually, they're going to start getting through and hitting you. but that's the whole point of absorption. continue to close distance and create a solution to the problem (a good combination at close-->medium range). maintaining one range and trying to block everything is a fool's errand. covering up and weathering a couple in order to put yourself in range for a decisive counter is the essence of positioning.

stuart b.

ttt

Originally posted by apoweyn
    brentcarey,

standard procedure in kickboxing is a little more intricate than you give credit. absorbing shots is a fairly complex tactic. either cutting off the angle of an attack to snuff its force or rolling with it to dissipate its force is a way of not being where the attack is. the apex of the attack is one place. good position would be to put yourself where the attack 'isn't yet' or where the attack 'isn't anymore.' absorption is a good way to use positioning without giving up ground.

stuart b.
    Of course it was a generalization, which, by the nature of a generalization is inaccurate. I'm sorry if it offended anyone. I was simply responding to the original issue raised and contrasting two different approaches. One approach (used in kickboxing, etc) is to rely more on blocks (including redirection), another approach is to rely more on movement.

You are of course correct that there is both movement and blocking in kickboxing. I simply meant to contrast its blocking-intensive approach with other style's movement-intensive approach.

By "standard procedure", I meant, "commonly accepted." It is commonly accepted in kickboxing (for example) to block extensively without repositioning. While this may be for strategic reasons, it still contrasts with other styles. This was my point.

No condescension was intended.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

no harm, no foul.

cheers.

stuart b.

I'm not going to comment on the "kung fu" vs MMA stuff too much, but I do think the conversation should be shelved unless we keep it constructive. Why try to convince the other side with words, when the stuff we do is about actions.

**** right. On the day the person who trained harder and smarter will win.
    "This amazing video will cover several never-before-revealed secrets of Combat Conditioning as well as the master keys to George W. Bush being able to stand proud and tall after defeating Saddam Hussein in a no-holds-barred fight. Order your copy today. Only $29.95 plus $7 S&H U.S. "

http://www.bush-saddam.com/

"I do think the conversation should be shelved unless we keep it constructive"

Kind of ironic, Sweats, considering you dredged this topic up from seven months ago.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Actually I was quoting, but still... this is why you don't have too many pages open at once! I thought it was on the "new posts" section, my mistake.
    "This amazing video will cover several never-before-revealed secrets of Combat Conditioning as well as the master keys to George W. Bush being able to stand proud and tall after defeating Saddam Hussein in a no-holds-barred fight. Order your copy today. Only $29.95 plus $7 S&H U.S. "

http://www.bush-saddam.com/

LMAO @ this thread.