Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, do you really think joint locks and kung fu movements are fast?

Question Seriously, do you really think joint locks and kung fu movements are fast?

I'm just wondering, do you really believe doing joint locks and kung fu blocking is actually fast enough to stop a fast Kick Boxer without bobing and weaving.
    It's an honest question to be asked. AND do you martial artist out there who have taken other martial arts other than kung fu (oohhh, lets say something like Karate) really believe in it's effectiveness.
    Before you answer.

Take a look at the U.F.C. it looks alot like karate/kickboxing and grappling

Back to speed
    I really don't see how a kung fu technique can be called fast when a kickboxer can throw lightning fast punches at you before you can even think of a kung fu technique.

Just my point of view.
    Karate ,a great way of life

Logic need not Reply

Bad Kungfu

More likely than not you are making your assumptions based on inexperience with practiced adepts.

There is a reason for kungfu's fluidity and it expresses itself in both power and speed. The reason is rooted in the jin training (both neijia and waijia).

Find better examples.

Tinman.

Those technics have to be just fast enough to work.

And that speed differs in every single envounter.

Purpose is not to be the fastest or the strongest, but to use just enough to overcome the Opponent.

Peace.

Oh Yeah!

Howzabout I poke your eye out before you get your gumshield in?

1/ I got no rules!

2/ You don't know anything about my training!

3/ Everybody has got a pretty good idea what kickboxers do!

4/ Whos gonna take your gloves off for you so you can call your mommy?

Andy
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

>do you really believe doing joint locks and kung fu blocking is actually fast enough to stop a fast Kick Boxer without bobing and weaving.

Are there any of the aforementioned techniques where you leave your body in the target area without resetting to a place where the attack's force is directed away from the body? I do not recall ever seeing any techniques where the limbs are expected to catch an incoming force in total. I would consider this to be, in practice, "bobbing and weaving".

>AND do you martial artist out there who have taken other martial arts other than kung fu (oohhh, lets say something like Karate) really believe in it's effectiveness. ...Take a look at the U.F.C. it looks alot like karate/kickboxing and grappling

Yes, I think my art is effective for me. After all, I do not intend to be in a fight with an NHB competitor.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Just engage him BEFORE he jabs, and stick to his hands like glue, follow, lead and guid them into your trap. He can't hit, because your roundness prevents him from aiming.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Lightbulb

Can someone please turn on the Ralek signal?
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

RALEK ALERT!!
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

"I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Stacey Guest
    Royal dragon is 110 percent correct.

To answer the question, can you do it without bobbing and weaving?

No, you need positioning to set up the lock.

However I have thrown people who hooked at me, its about seeing the body as a whole. In Praying Mantis, every block and strike moves you in and sets you up for something else.

We have many ways of catching a flury, a steady tiger claw attack will act as feelers while blocking and tearing at a couple of jabs.

Besides, we jab in kung fu. Backfists are also used as jabs. Believe it or not, kung fu has the hands, more hands than boxing, and comes in at unorthadox angles.

Then again vs other kung fu people I use the jab a lot, many people over react with the block and the second and third jab set me up for releasing hell on them. I've also locked and been locked from a jab. Wrist grabbed and followed to a goose neck or shoulder lock.

There are no absolutes in martial arts.

What do you know? How well an you use it? Are your students, regardless of body type consistently good? ....these are all that matters.

I'm just wondering, do you really believe that anyone on here doesn't know you're a sad, pathetic waste of a troll? It's an honest question to be asked. And you, wanna-be martial artist who has never studied anything (ohhhhh, can we say worthless Gracie CD-ROM?) couldn't stop a kung-fu strike or kick if someone let you.

Take a look at the UFC and jam it in your friggin keister, lop.

Back to stupid
    I don't see how you think you anything at all...I bet that 5 minutes in my kwoon, you'd be crying and running for the door if you scrawny pencil-legs can still wiggle.

Crawl back under your bridge, troll.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Talking Oh goody another troll

"I'm just wondering, do you really believe doing joint locks and kung fu blocking is actually fast enough to stop a fast Kick Boxer without bobing and weaving."
    * No problem, we just turn on matrix mode and kill them with six dim mak strikes before they even manage to get out a punch!!! By the time the guy has hit the ground we are sitting peacefully miles away drinking chinese tea and telling our story.

"It's an honest question to be asked. "
    * possibly but your a cheap git so no bickies for you, just more troll bait im afraid

"AND do you martial artist out there who have taken other martial arts other than kung fu (oohhh, lets say something like Karate) really believe in it's effectiveness. "
    * Yes actualy Infact taking other martial arts lets you see all the many strengths and weakness of your art. Its a big nasty world out there and there is more than one way to sharpen a knife, let alone fashion one

"Before you answer. "
    * Be aware your only precious moments of your life on a troll, whoops!

"Take a look at the U.F.C. it looks alot like karate/kickboxing and grappling "
    * Yes well maybe becouse thats what the majority of the practioners in UFC practice? Have you ever considered that basic punching kicking and grappling is commen to all arts as 'the basics' these movements are considered 'the basics' basicaly becouse dum dum dum, they work!!!
    Hence get a bunch of guys who are actualy trying to hurt each other what do they do? Resort back to basics, punch kick grab.
    Have a contact fight sometime, might open your eyes. Or shut one of them for about a week

"Back to speed"
    * Man dont do it! Please i cant handle you hurting yourself like that. Think of the loss to the community! Think of all of your friends who will miss you!
    Yeah ok just stick the needle in your arm and get it over with!

"I really don't see how a kung fu technique can be called fast when a kickboxer can throw lightning fast punches at you before you can even think of a kung fu technique."
    * Who's thinking about kf technique? Come danial san you have much to learn. Its like a finger pointing away to the moon

"Just my point of view"
    * PLEASE PLEASE post again, you people are one of the many reasons this board makes me smile
    Just please dont hurt me, i only know kung fu and may get hurt

BTW stop saying Ballet Fu, you stole that from me!
    You called it ballet, i called it ballet fu and i tm that phrase and everything about it.
    Only i can practice and teach Ballet Fu and you may NOT use its proud name again for your own evil ends!

Ok stand back everyone, you need fire or acid to actualy finish one of these things off. Im turned on the flamethrower and given him a good hose. Now we just hope to examine the charcoled remains for signs of life
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

dont know if this guys a troll or not, but ive definitely had the same doubts. then i figured out it doesnt work like in jet lee movies, standing and blocking 10000 punches with 100% accuracy... like ppl have said, its about seeing the body as a whole, setting up the opponent, and sticking. bah, other ppl have done and will explain it with more accuracy than me.... but yeah. ive had those doubts, but kung fu works. so long as you train realistically.

Ged thanks alot
    Thats about the only real reply we have here.

Stacy
    Tiger claw a flury of punches? What majical world do you live in.Remember, I said seriously.If you people believe that, then I can see why kung fu was never in N.H.B or U.F.C.

Jon
    yeah, I know you must be kidding. Dimmak, get Real man.

Even if you people don't have to think of a technique, it's still no way faster than a strait punch, many punches.
    you truely think you can grab one of those punches with a kung fu technique/jointlock?Get real.

Red fist, what can I say
    you believe it's just fast enough,thats what is really sad.I never said anything about strength,in fact karate is almost all skill.

in closeing
    You simply can't be in U.F.C. or N.H.B. Because kung fu is just not practical
    In the spur of the moment you can't depend on kung fu,you need something more direct

your not going to CATCH a dammm punch,simple as that.
    If they could do all those techniques you would see it more in reality fighting.and the reason they don't fight in U.F.C,,Well don't give me that, "because of honor of the style B.S." It's really because it just wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Tinman; 04-27-2002 at 05:00 AM.