Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What style would be best for moi? (me)

What style would be best for moi? (me)

hi everyone

i'm new to the boards and i have recently become really interested in 'kung-fu'

i have been reading about many styles so far and i dunno what to take

i am 15, asian-french-canadian, 110lbs... i am very fast but i probably have an average strength. I have decent flexibility (i can kick up to my head without hunching my back) and i can last for a long time.

i have been really looking at white crane, praying mantis and wung chun

i may be moving near an area where i can find a good 'dojo' (proper term?). So please... help a guy out

here's the first two pieces of advice you're likely to get from anyone here:

1) take trial classes and see how you feel about them

there's really not a substitute for direct experience. if you've got a friend with some experience, bring them along to watch a class.

2) look for the instructor, not the style

someone summed it up beautifully recently. learning a good style from a bad teacher will ruin the experience.

you could enjoy and benefit from any style you mentioned, depending on the people involved.

now if you want to share some preferences, training goals, etc., people might be able to get specific with you. (interested in competition? enjoy high kicking? don't enjoy kicking at all? and so on)

i hope that helps for starters.

stuart b.

oh, i've been in TKD, have a bit of boxing experience

my uncle taught be a bit of kung fu (not sure what style... i was nine) i would have him come but he's in vietnam :P

anyway, i'm going to Newmarket (near Toronto) in june for 3 weeks and i was going to check out the Dojos for a bit

i will look for quality but i don't want something like a monkey-style

do dojos usually teach more than one style?

oh, and i don't really like high-kicking since it seems like it's more effort than it's worth when low-kicking seems stronger, faster and harder to defend from. (arms are high-up)

i think 'kwoon' is the word you're looking for. gung fu schools are called kwoons.

anyway, i'm not going to try and advise you because i'm not a gung fu practitioner myself. i'll leave that to other people.

stuart b.

heh, thx for your advices so far

kwoon... cool

white crane and praying mantis have really caught my attention though. (excited as hell)

Try starting a thread asking about good kung fu schools in the area you're gonna be at? That way, you can find some of the more qualified teachers, and choose from them.

Usually, people will title such threads something like "Kung fu schools in Boise" or wherever.

Good luck.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

no worries.

one more piece of advice. there are some extremely knowledgeable and helpful people on this board. there are also some complete arseheads. you'll figure out one from the other. just keep a thick skin and don't take anything too personally.

stuart b.

heh, i can just ask my mom - who lives in newmarket - about some school and she can get another one of my uncles (related thru marriage... forgot about him heh) who knows some kind of kung fu to check it out with me

so... styles?

Which style is not as important as which teacher. But it is still d a m n important.

I want to learn Wing Chun. I'm having to wait till I go to Uni 'cause the only school in my area stinks. I have tried a few things, Kung Fu, Judo, Jujitsu etc. Did Judo for 2 yrs. Liked it, but its not for me.

Unless you're 100% sure on a school try them all. Only when you find the style that it perfect for you, with a Sifu that is perfect for you should you then dedicate 20+ yrs of your life for it.

Some guy across an internet forum saying "Do Hsing-Y it's the best" won't solve the problem for you. He may think Hsing-Y is the best. You might hate it. The Sifu near you may be toss...etc.

Only way to find out is to go out, and try everything.

If you go to www.about.com you can get a list of style-briefs, BTW.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

hmmm... ya, but it's so long til june

just think of my body-type and try and pull something out of your @ss :P

whenever i like something, i like to know lots on it (precautions... i now know more about medieval weapons and warfare than anyone i have met hehe... and about Neverwinter Nights)

How tall are you?

-Bible Truths.

oh, heh... how could i forget that

um... about 5foot5

Then I'd recommend something closer in. In long-range combat a 6'0 guy will hand you your ass on a plate. Go for something like Wing Chun maybe, or possibly Jujitsu if you like that kind of thing.

BJJ if you like rolling around on the floor with other men also.

Just my opinion though. Some would argue that shorter people need a long-fist style.

-Bible Truths.

ya, i've been seriosuly considering Wing Chun

i really want some information on Praying Mantis and White Crane though... everytime i look at the other styles, those both just draw me in

i really want to learn evasion so that's why i am drawn to White Crane the most.

Well, I don't know an incredible amount about differing Kungfu styles, but the advice about teachers has been spot on.

I am currently learning kickboxing because all my local Kungfu is a bit, erm, wishy washy.

Welcome to the board. By the way, you might want to use the words 'I have good endurance' instead of 'and i can last for a long time. '

Opening yourself for some jokes about your sex life there mate.

Yeah, being short means that you don't want to hang around in someones kicking/punching range without being able to hit them back. Your style should move you in, so the height advantage is negated. Of course you'll still need evasion skills, but it doesn't matter how good you can evade, unless you are 100% perfect at it if you're relying on evading kicks and punches then you will get hit.