Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Kwan Dao weighing 100lbs? That is ridiculous!

Those are also singular applications and is by no means a complete and total use of the weapon to the exclusion of all else.

The mistake in the theory is that there can be no possible other use beside immobile shaving, that is a fallacy. The very fact that one actually CAN use the KD in another fashion, modern form or not, invalidates the assumption. So there....
    Last edited by Lebaufist; 12-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

ttt 4 2016!

Check out this video from China Xinhua News facebook: Kung fu masters play 100-kg iron broadswords freely
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

r u shaolin do guy

You guys should try reading Kung Fu /Tai Chi Magazine sometime instead of just hanging around here all day and all night. Had an article on this recently July + August 2016 .My teacher is an instructor of these traditional heavy weapon skills known as [chuan tong zhong bing qi (傳統重兵器)]. The 90 pound Guan Gong Da Dao(關公大刀) is taught along side the Shi Suo(石锁)or stone locks. The Beijing style Shuai Jiao I trained with back in Beijing also used both tools. It is for conditioning purposes only, not for using on the ancient battle field. The article mentioned above goes into it in detail.Name:  8.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  97.7 KB
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 11-09-2016 at 02:52 AM.

I practice with a 20 or 25lb kwan dao. I wish I could find one heavier. you can't even find one that is 20lbs anymore, except through wing lam and they want $500.00 for it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I practice with a 20 or 25lb kwan dao. I wish I could find one heavier. you can't even find one that is 20lbs anymore, except through wing lam and they want $500.00 for it.
    I bought mine off Gene through Tiger claw and it comes in close to 30lbs.
    Metal pole, pommel and thick ass blade. Great work out!

They don't appear to carry them anymore.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Had an article on this recently July + August 2016 .My teacher is an instructor of these traditional heavy weapon skills known as [chuan tong zhong bing qi (傳統重兵器)]. The 90 pound Guan Gong Da Dao(關公大刀) is taught along side the Shi Suo(石锁)or stone locks.
    Specifically, that would be Shaolin’s Ultimate in Strength Training: 90 Pounds of Solid Steel Guan Gong Da Dao By Chris Friedman JUL+AUG 2016

There was also this one which I mentioned earlier on this here thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    And traditionally, the Kwan Dao is exaggeratedly heavy, so it's great for conditioning. We ran an article titled Only the Strong By Chris Friedman in our 2009 September/October issue which discussed traditional shuai jiao training using a 70 lb kwan dao. The master showcased was Zhuo Quan Sheng, a 3X nations shuai jiao champ.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I bought mine off Gene through Tiger claw and it comes in close to 30lbs.
    Metal pole, pommel and thick ass blade. Great work out!

They don't appear to carry them anymore.
    Unfortunately, the price on those went way up and they weren't big sellers, so Tiger Claw isn't carrying them anymore. The heaviest one now would be
    2 piece Stainless Steel Dragon Head Kwan Dao - these have a hollow thick metal shaft that unscrews and can be filled with sand if you want something heavier.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Unfortunately, the price on those went way up and they weren't big sellers, so Tiger Claw isn't carrying them anymore. The heaviest one now would be
    2 piece Stainless Steel Dragon Head Kwan Dao - these have a hollow thick metal shaft that unscrews and can be filled with sand if you want something heavier.
    How heavy would it be if filled?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Good question. No idea, SevenStar.

I suppose that depends on what you would fill it with - regular sand versus something like metal filings or fine ball bearings like in an iron palm bag - that would change the overall weight significantly, I imagine. To be honest, I've never tried to fill one. But given they way they are constructed, it would be easy enough.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I suppose that depends on what you would fill it with - regular sand versus something like metal filings or fine ball bearings like in an iron palm bag - that would change the overall weight significantly, I imagine. To be honest, I've never tried to fill one. But given they way they are constructed, it would be easy enough.
    Awesome. I'll be ordering one soon. Do I need to mention you for the special discount?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

A discount? srsly?

Well, as you're a former mod, I'll pass along the subscriber discount code. Check your PM, brudda.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

speaking of which, since I'm back now - if another opening pops up, let me know.

And, Thanks!!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

yo does anyone know where to buy just the dragon head on the guan dao

Find out more in our FALL 2019 issue

Getting Shredded with Traditional Weapons
    Kung Fu, Weightlifting and the Heavy Guandao
    By Gene Ching

FALL 2019
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips