Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kwan Dao weighing 100lbs? That is ridiculous!

"Kinda like 400-0 records for a certain Gracie."

Isn't that all of 'em. I heard they have to choke a man to death to get their black belts or something.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

highlander claymors could NOT weigh over 6lbs... they were one of the narrowest two-handers ever made thus, they would be much lighter... they averaged at 4lbs.

out of frustration, i have issued a call-for-help from some of the well-respected weapon enthusiasts of the Netsword Forum... (we all need our back-up)

i will expect to see Stu because of his general negative attitude towards the asian-arts hehe

and about the 100lb bow thing? um... that was an estimate but i don't seem that much off... perhaps 6 shot/pm?

and it is possible to make 10 shots with a bow in a minute... i can pull maybe 7 or 8 with my little hunters bow made of fibre glass but it is one of those ones that u barely have to pull... it has those wheel things on the ends of the bow that gives you that extra kick :P
    i'm 15 so i bet someone stronger/faster would be able to get 10 in a second... not with much accuracy though.

there basically is no melee weapon that is functional and is not ceremonial that weighs more than 15lbs...

and broadswords were NOT broad. it was just a name.

20lbs is even heavy for any polearm... not even a lucerne hammer would reach that amount.
    a hammer v bladed weapon in weight = hammer wins... hammer is lighter.

oh, and the Zweihander (Z-sword) was probably the heaviest two-hander i can think of... it was called the three-hander (zwei is german for three)
    probably the only functional sword that would get up to 8 or 10lbs.

as a friend from Netsword has said, you can stick with your 100lbs... we can compete sometime, i'll stick with my 1.5lb swords, u can use your 100lb broadsword or kwan dao... if u can find one... (made of lead :P)

oh... and a heavier sword would not be good against cavalry. NO sword would be good against cavalry... most likely, u would dislocated the shoulders or if u tried to stand with your sword infront of u, u would be trampled.

polearms were used for cavalry.

honestly... i actually expected the better-half of you people ont his forum to actually know something about weapons... (not meant to be offensive, i'm just disappointed)

Julien--

You make a good point about the pole-arm vs the horse, but is this perhaps tainted by your familiarity with western cavalry tactics? I don't believe the massed charge was a staple of Asian battle tactics--it's rather well known that if an infantry formation managed to withstand the initial shock of a mass cavalry charge (thanks usually to grounding their pole-arms 'ala Braveheart), then the mounted riders were in trouble--it's hard to keep the horses in locked formation and protect the flank and rear from the opposing infantry--you can fit people in the cracks. Some will die--some will pull the rider off.

What I mean is this--if horses were used less as shock troops and more as skirmish troops, like the mongols, would a grounded pole arm be as necessary?

Also, did the Chinese have stirrups? I know YOU won't think that's a stupid question Julien, as you're well aware it changes EVERYTHING
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

MPS - Is there ANYTHING you don't know/won't discuss

Stirrups! I know, I know, but still! Maybe we should discuss the relevance of tea in the industrialisation of Northern England......

"Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

If you want to discuss the industrialization of Britain, discuss the textile industry--tea was entirely fermented in the places it was grown in the british empire, as I recall, and shipped as a finished product. However, considering I've been utterly wrong in the past, especially on British history, perhaps you could let me know?

Although I supposed it was probably shipped loose and PACKAGED in Britain, since the Empire didn't actually like their colonies to have factories--marcantilism at it's finest!!! So I imagine there was probably some sort of manufacturing industry built around the packaging, yeah?

Cotton, on the other hand was imported raw, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 05-03-2002 at 02:45 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

And, for your edification, I know absolutely nothing of visual art. How's that?

Someone said it was to be used from horseback. How? Wouldn't the horses head and hind quarters get in the way of moving it? I think Gene nailed it pretty good.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I was really looking for the link between tea as a mild antiseptic and the unusually healthy workforce in the Manchester and Yorkshire areas, specifically in the cotton industry where poor conditions often lead to a poor production rate.... etc...

But Yes Mr.Valentine, all else was spot-f*cking-on!

edification
    Git!

I might just bring up visual art now too **** you off!

-Bible Truths.

LOL at DelicateSound!

If you'd like, I could execute a "troll mode," and start talking about how MMA will beat Kung Fu all the time.

But it is mercantilism by the way.

The word is from the time of industrial stability, from 1873 I think. Victorian capitalism for you.

-Bible Truths.

If you'd like, I could execute a "troll mode," and start talking about how MMA will beat Kung Fu all the time.

LOL!

-Bible Truths.

Yeah--I noticed I had misspelled it, but I was too darn lazy to fix it.

Mercantilism--probably the downfall of the British Empire, honestly. Although I will say that historically, previously British Colonies have done better than most other countries' colonies.

Lazy Yanks!

Yes - it probably was the downfall. Unlike the US Empire that gets it's goods made in an indian sweatshop for $1

We got it all wrong. Labour force at home! Who would be unemployed then?!!

-Bible Truths.

Yup--the sweatshop---not so different from Liverpool or Yorkshire back in the day---or any of the US factories for that matter.

I'm hardly a marxist (in the inevitability of economic history sense)--but I've never understood why those who wish to "preserve the environment," and "protect laborers everywhere," can't see that these are concerns you only have when you have a standard of living that supports the technology that ALLOWS you to do this.

In other words, it's all very sad. Developing nations aren't allowed to use their resources or they risk losing international aid because of the environmental damage that "development," causes--and when alternative technologies are pointed out, everybody seems to forget that you can't use those technologies without massive development in physical and social infrastructure.

This is why I think that globalization will eventually pay off for everybody. Put a Ford factory in Mexico, and what you get is a middle class--and from there you get education.

Don't get me wrong--it won't happen overnight, and there are places with incredible corruption that prevents a lot of good things, but over time it will get better.

Angry Claymore!!!

Just for the record guys,

the famous sword of William Wallace, was not a Claymore. Nor was the sword used in the Mel Gibson epic a Claymore. If you ever get across to Scotland, visit the Wallace Monument near Stirling, and you'll realise that the sword weilded by William Wallace, could never have been thrown one handed across a battlefield by an Australian midget. I don't know what it weighed, but I would guess 30-50 lbs. I guess all you sword fanatics knew that though eh!

AndyM

P.S. Scotland is not in England either!
    Last edited by AndyM; 05-03-2002 at 06:00 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!