Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kwan Dao weighing 100lbs? That is ridiculous!

Braden Guest
    It's worth noting for comparison purposes that baguazhang practitioners were quite famous in Chinese martial legend and history for wielding enormous and extremely heavy sabres. They weighed seven pounds. That should put the 'one hundred' figure in perspective.

Merry - Could you find a reference for the Neanderthal/memory thing?

Braden, I'll see if I can find it. I seem to recall watching it on TV, so I'll give it a shot
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Arrows per minute?

Sorry Julien,

I could swear you said ten arrows per second. As for ten a minute, i would personally say thats a bit low. I could set off an arrow with accuracy every 3-4 seconds, if not more. Japanese archers who practice "professionally" can generally get one off a second or two.

Originally posted by Julien
    oh, and the Zweihander (Z-sword) was probably the heaviest two-hander i can think of... it was called the three-hander (zwei is german for three)
    probably the only functional sword that would get up to 8 or 10lbs.
    Zweihänder. Zwei means TWO, not three.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Braden--

Here's one link

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/uth_orgs/pub_...6/neander.html

Briefly discusses the role of the frontal lobe--indirect at best, and not exactly what I recall seeing--but then again, I just remember thinking that was an interesting tidbit

Experts get stuff wrong too. It could be that the guy they interviewed read this research and translated slightly greater frontal lobe capacity in the "might be," sense to "Well, here's why..."
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Braden Guest
    Interesting stuff. I imagine her book "Modeling the Early Human Mind" is out by now; might be worth a look.

Slightly off-topic, I think there is something to the suggestion that Neanderthal melded with Sapiens, rather than dying off in the explicit sense. Although there is something comfortingly romantic in linking Neanderthal to the consistent "native, dying species of an older time" myths, like we see in Eaters of the Dead.

I was more just interested in any finding concerning the neural basis of memory that I might have missed. I think to make a leap from even an intact Neanderthal brain to the conclusion that they had perfect memory assumes a better knowledge of the topic than we currently have.

Re: Claymore!!!

Originally posted by AndyM
    Just for the record guys,

the famous sword of William Wallace, was not a Claymore. Nor was the sword used in the Mel Gibson epic a Claymore. If you ever get across to Scotland, visit the Wallace Monument near Stirling, and you'll realise that the sword weilded by William Wallace, could never have been thrown one handed across a battlefield by an Australian midget. I don't know what it weighed, but I would guess 30-50 lbs. I guess all you sword fanatics knew that though eh!

AndyM

P.S. Scotland is not in England either!
    actually, it was a claymore...

a claymore is basically just a celtic sword with an unusually narrow blade for a two-handed sword.

william wallace's sword was unusually narrow and it was celtic

most claymores do have upturned quillions though

and they weigh 6lbs at most... probably 4 or 5 pounds usually though

pick up one foot of steel about the same length and width... u will be surprised

i recently picked up my chin-up bar from one end... it felt incredibly cumbersome for a piece of metal that was only 2lbs.

honestly, the guess of 30-40lbs is highly uneducated

since no one seems to want to... i suggest again GO TO HTTP://WWW.ARMOR.COM AND CLICK ON INFO! THEY MAKE SWORDS! THEY MAKE GOOD SWORDS! THEY MAKE GOOD WEAPONS! THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST PLACES U CAN BUY A FUNCTIONAL SWORD FROM!

they have it all there.

oh, and i didn't know asians didn't have stirrups but still, u don't use a sword against cavalry... u'll still die or be horribly injured. i would hate to have my shoulder dislocated or have a charging horse land on me.

(grounded polearm was also used to keep the horse from falling on u.)

honestly, pick up a bench-press bar that weighs 30 pounds and try to wield it as a staff... u won't be able to effectively
    many people bench-press 100lbs as their workout...
    u really think u can wield something that u workout with for strength as a weapon against someone that has a REAL weapon? (i am calling a 100lb kwan dao a fake weapon :P)

meet me in a few years with your oversized weapons... ignorance may be bliss but knowledge is power.

Nope!

"Man armed only with catapult should not hide in desert!"
    Last edited by AndyM; 05-03-2002 at 06:45 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Claymore!!!

Originally posted by Julien
    honestly, pick up a bench-press bar that weighs 30 pounds and try to wield it as a staff... u won't be able to effectively
    many people bench-press 100lbs as their workout...
    A bench press bar is usually 45lbs (the shorter ones might be 30lbs). And I don't know many people (men) who bench 100lbs as a workout. Most people tend to start with 135.

Just providing perspective.

IronFist

Originally posted by AndyM
    Nope!

"Man armed only with catapult should not hide in desert!"
    good rebuttle....

weight training thing - meh, still try a 100lb bar... u won't be able to use it.

Neptunesfall

No. The weapon you are talking about had a longer blade and shorter handle than a Kwan Dao. It was used to cut horses' legs.

The Kwan Dao was use from horse back. Actually, I has seen Kwan Dao forms where a part of the form is acting like you are on horse back.
    For traditional kung fu go to http://www.taishingpekkwar.com

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Yo dude, dont be like saying we dont know bout weapons.

I just didnt feel like saying but my opinion:

1) There are/were 100 lbs Kwan Daos.
    2) They were not used in combat.
    3) The heavy/super heavy weapons were cerimonial/display only OR maybe used for only as kind of advanced solo training.
    4) Using a 100 lbs Kwan Dao on battle is probably a legend.

btw, when mentioned the Z-Sword we were talking about Dragon Ball Z
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

heh, thought u were referring to the german sword

anywayz though, even for solo training that is overboard

ANVILS weigh 100lbs.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    btw, check out this sites by Thomas Chen. He knows a lot about chinese swords and posts on swordforum and sometimes here too.

http://thomaschen.freewebspace.com/

http://chinese-armour.freewebspace.com/
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

By the way, zwei still means two, not three.

IronFist