Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film : Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)

Film : Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)

Hi,

Is the sequel worth getting? I've heard it's much better.

I quite enjoyed the film, not sure though exactly how effective Jackie Chan ****ing on his opponent was - it looks good in a film but how would a technique like that transfer across to a street fight situation? I guess it's a deadly technique (especially after a curry) but you'll do anything to get away unhurt...

Yeah, the sequel is much better. Though is not in his same early, goofy style of moviemaking.

The sequel contains one of the most spectacular fights ever recorded on film.

Not as much action as the original, but most of the fights are much better.

Plus Ken Lo at the end is a very fitting homage to Hwang Jiang Lee from the original Drunken Master as a Superkicker. WOW

DM2

Cheers guys, I'm going to try an get hold of it.

Drunken Master II is an awesome flick. I love it because you get to see Jackie doing traditional kung fu which he had drifted off from in his films from the 90's. It also stars kung fu movie legend Ti Lung as his dad Wong Kay Ying. Although he only has a brief fight with Lau Kar Leung, he demonstrates some of the Wing Chun skills that he is known to practice in real life. Oh yeah, I agree the end fight is one of the best ever captured on screen. Peace.

I actually have strong memories associated with this insanely good flick. I was working as a delivery boy for a chinese restaurant, and they told me that DM II was going to be playing at the one theater in Philly that played chinese movies every Sat night at midnight.

It was playing on 6 screens, and the line went alll the way out into the parking lot. I had never seen a Jackie Chan movie in the theater. I recall many kung fu / karate / tkd gangs and clubs, with their satin jackets or t-shirts....lots of martial artsy stuff goin on everywhere.

Watching this movie I thought I had discovered quite possibly the coolest thing on earth. It only played once, but it played in my head for months. It made me a Jackie Chan fan for life.

Thumbs up

Spear vs. Sword under a train!

That alone is worth seeing the movie.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Thumbs up

Definitely one of the best movies around. All the fight scenes were brilliant and nice & long: under the train, thugs stealing the purse, restaurant one, steel mill, all of 'em! Yo, I didn't know Ti Lung practices Wing Chun. I heard that Stephen Sing-Chi Chow does too, but I don't know if its true or not.

Yes, Ti Lung has trained Wing Chun, and also claimed to have trained in Hung Gar, karate, and some northern styles, too.

DM II is one of the best martial arts films. I don't always rate Jackie Chan's films as the best among martial arts movies (especially his post-mid-80's films). But the action, story, and cinematography put it way up there. It also seems to be the last really good Jackie Chan movie, IMO.
    Jim

The first Drunken Master is a terrific movie and worthwhile watching multiple times. But I personally didn't like DM2.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Yeah, Ti Lung is the student of some famous Wing Chun master. I forget his name though. Its funny that he plays Jackie's dad when he is actually only seven years older than Jackie. By the way, Ho Sung Pak, who plays one of the thugs who slaps Jackie's mom, is the original Liu Kang from the Mortal Kombat video games. He is a wushu champion from Chicago.

Thanks

Thank you so much everyone, I'm defo going to try and get hold of a copy - can't find it on amazon - it is called Drunken Master 2 right?

Out of interest are there any other good kung fu films anyone'd recommend? I prefer films where the kung fu flows rather than the 70's style split-second between every move done, if you kno what I mean?

Cheers again everyone!

Actually, when you say "split second" between every move, I think of today's American made martial arts movies. However, I would recommend any Shaw Bros. movie starring The Venoms, Gordon Liu, Alexander Fu Sheng, or Chen Kuan Tai. I would also suggest Jet Li's Fist of Legend, Tai Chi Master (Twin Warriors), or any of his Once Upon a Time In China series. Iron Monkey, starring Donnie Yen is a good one. I could go on forever with suggestions but hopefully those will help. Have fun!

"We'll show him......Chinese boxing!"

it's called "Legend of Drunken Master". i have the first one, and i like them both. DM2 has better fight scenes in it, but DM1 was more classic Jackie to me... silly comedy with cool training sequences. i like it. DM2 definately has the better kungfu scenes tho

Originally posted by Tigerstyle
    Spear vs. Sword under a train!

That alone is worth seeing the movie.
    That's my favorite bit as well---awesome stuff! This still MIGHT be the greatest KF movie ever, but the use of some wires brought it down a notch for me--especially the last 1/3rd. The rumor was that's why Jackie fired Lau Kar Leung as director half way through and took over himself---LCL didn't want to use wires, Jackie did. Great looking picture, though---love that restaurant fight, too!!

I recently saw DM 1 for the first time, and I didn't care for it. Too low budget and too much goofy comedy for my liking--I generally prefer the Shaw stuff.