Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punch training

Punch training

I am a northern eagle claw practitionor and i have great respect for the WC. I have seen and heard the power of WC punching and i would appreciate if someone could tell me a few excercises of such to increase my punching skill and power such as yours to match my kicks and locks. BTW i punch with dumbells (not fullly extending ) .
    Everyone has a breaking point.

Try not to punch with dumbells! Power in Wing Chun comes from proper body mechanics, shifting of weight, etc, not big arm muscles. I'm probably not the best qualified to answer your question (I'm a newbie ) but I did all the dumbell punching and stuff when I trained Muay Thai, and I've had to throw it out the window to learn correct WC punching.

Without the correct structure it's not WC punching. Best of luck in your endeavour.
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

I've done some punching with Dumbells, hasn't hurt me. I do it so I can keep my hands up with boxing gloves for 4-5 rounds of sparring, which is part of our training. Anyway, after you tire out your arms, make sure you follow up with some speed drills. Do you know "link chain punches"? That's a good drill to increase hand speed. Wing Chun uses a vertical fist, which travels out along your centerline. Elbow down. Chamber is high as possible without raising the shoulders, not at your hip like in Northern styles. Some punching drills are with chambered punches, some are from your fighting position, like the roll punches.

-FJ

Punch training with dumbells?
    My head is hurting anyways.

guys

better to develop speed through chi sao and drilling. Hand speed will follow these excercises. Punching with dumbbells makes you feel like yor hands are lighter when they actually arent and that will throw yor timing off.
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

What you need to do is slow down time around you. Then you will be moving faster.

I'm surprised no one has yet said "but Bruce Lee punched with dumbells and he was fast."

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Smile hi my friends

my friend dnt have punching here but that position tho you thinks its punch its just basic roling hands to target center line work its simple impulsive power from bitseps and latsimus and dnt use shoulders ok cool just friendly tiger_1
    /

8. IronFist

Originally posted by IronFist
    I'm surprised no one has yet said "but Bruce Lee punched with dumbells and he was fast."

IronFist
    Don't you know that's what killed him?

Cool

I thought Wong Jack man killed him?
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

I heard Josh Rakowski killed him in a park in Maryland
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

I hear they have good cookies there man.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Mr. Christie has good cookies.

Sharky - Dont get me started on WJK!!! Anyone Who can beat Bruce Lee is ok by me.....

Dedication, you have run into a simple problem. With wing chun we use structure to deliver power, but its entire body structure, not just elbow/shoulder structure. The dumbbell punching will make your shoulders stronger and will increase some punching power but that is the crux of the problem, we dont really use our shoulders for punching.
    As an example, in my lineage/class (and eveyrone knows mine is the best lineage ) we do slow punching in the beginning, very slow, very deliberate, and concentrate almost exclusivley on structure, alignment of the elbows, etc.......

ah thank you so far

When punching with the dumbells i punch from the elbow. I also do a good bit of lifting and a ton of pushups. I box with 16oz gloves on a mattress( yes a mattress my parents took down my heavy bag ) i was going to set up a wallbag but i dont have anything . Any other comments about how i train or how i could train would be awsome.
    Everyone has a breaking point.

Hello,

To develop more powerfull punches is easy talked about but hard work.

1) Root training. Any lack of power in the limbs can usually be located in your stance/body.

2) Positioning. Proper positioning allows you to hit with your whole body.

3) Relaxation. You do not contract your muscles ever! Even on impact! Your bone alignent allows this to be possible.

So, if you do these things and then add other elements such as timing, distance, speed, etc. you will improve your power.

Mass + Velocity = Power!

You body and alignment plus relaxed speed will generate great power.

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim