Thread: What is a warrior?

Question What is a warrior?

Could somebody please explain to me what a warrior is. What is the warrior mindset? What do they believe in? What do they stand for? I don't really know how to ask the question better so sorry. Thanks to any replies though!
    "Stealing? How could you?! Haven’t you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain what’s-his-name? We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn’t hear anybody laughin’, did you?”

------------------------------------------
    “I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around a city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if it’s speed dropped, it would explode! I think it was called “The bus that couldn’t slow down.”

If you want to know what a warrior is, look to the men and women who serve the public, in the line of fire, to protect their community (collective--could be national, city, even the world)

More likely, you're going to hear some platitudes from a long dead martial artist or philosopher, repeated by a person who works a day job in relative security, leads a nice life... and oh yeah, happens to study martial arts too.

Most of us aren't warriors--but some of us like to try and play at being one.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 05-04-2002 at 03:42 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

The Coast Guard are warriors. Ask the US Coast Guard.

Stacey Guest
    ask musashi.

There is also a good book called "Code of the Warrior" that tries to explain what it has meant to different people over time."

for you.....Read "Way of the Peacefull Warrior" by Dan Millman www.danmillman.com

that should do the trick.

I don't know Paul--I don't really tend to think of myself as such I run a desk!!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

hmmm... a warrior to me is simply an effective fighter

they could fight unarmed, with melee weapons, guns or bows... as long as they are effective

i don't think they have to be honourable... i would think a different name would go to an honourable warrior (samurai, paladin etc)

Warrior

"A person taking part or experienced in conflict."
    I am nothing.

A warrior is more than just a good fighter.

To me a warrior is someone who has accepted a position where by he may be called apon to fight to the death.

To me the warrior mind set is all about fighting whatever the odds, even when its hopeless and knowing that their is a great chance of death.

A good fighter who is afraid of injury is never going to get anywhere as injury lurks around every cornner.

Originally posted by Liokault
    A warrior is more than just a good fighter.

To me a warrior is someone who has accepted a position where by he may be called apon to fight to the death.

To me the warrior mind set is all about fighting whatever the odds, even when its hopeless and knowing that their is a great chance of death.

A good fighter who is afraid of injury is never going to get anywhere as injury lurks around every cornner.
    that sounds more like an adventurer to me, be said man/woman an explorer, fighter or politician.