Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How valuable is speed...

integral

Power= Mass x Speed (Velocity): Speed kills!

oh ya... tell me if i'm right

double mass = double power
    double velocity = quaded power

well, i don't really need to work my speed because I am naturally very fast but there was a guy ,"Don't expect speed and technique to save you in a fight. Start working your strength" or something

i am working my speed even more right now but my training is also working my strength to a degree..

repetition is the key to working speed, correct?

Relaxation is the key to speed, IMO.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

relaxation? so... if i sit around watching TV all day, i will become faster? whoa! (hehe)

but in training terms...? it's repetition right?

Um, in training terms if you stay relaxed you'll have speed, fluidity, etc.

Repetition ingrains the physical movement and structure.

So, I guess you could say that relaxation allows you to get through the proper physical movement and structure as quickly as possible

Erm--ok--not so clear--try this instead:

I can throw a right cross in a "picture perfect," manner, all tensed up. My structure and movement will "look," ok (won't feel right, and you can tell I'm tensed, but there won't be anything 'wrong' with the MOVEMENT itself or the structure at the end of the cross). But it won't have anything behind it. If I do it relaxed--ah!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Delicate Sound
    Flatulence and with rolling eyes.
    Do you mean that speed doesn't matter at all?

Sharky,
    Stop messing with my head with that there physics mumbo jumbo (it hurts)

Iron Fist,
    Sandra Bullock was hot?
    I think she is still hot!!
    Don't let Keana Reeves hear you talkin sh!t about her.
    He knows Kung Fu.

"Relaxation is the key to speed"
    Actually yes it is.The Tai Chi way, which is very effective,I agree.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

I don't know if it's the "Tai Chi way." I think a lot of different styles use relaxation as the key.

Originally posted by logic
    Delicate Sound
    Flatulence and with rolling eyes.
    Do you mean that speed doesn't matter at all?
    No, it means that people who make ****ish statements like....

speed is power-Mantis

....in a pathetic advertisement for their system should have their torso's skinned, raw meat slathered over their genitals and left in the desert for a pack of rabid unholy demon-wolves to devour them.

No? Speed and power are incredibly important. There are many ways to achieve them, I'm not talking internal/external/body mechanics/timing etc. here.

ANd relaxation. MPS is very correct. But not too relaxed. Don't see any dope-heads beating me up now do you?
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

I guess i'm just too intellectual for the lot of you.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Make her name Beyoncé and I'll agree with you.

When it comes to Beyoncé those details matter............
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

hmmm...

when u're about to strike, don't u relax then suddenly flex your arm muscles and snap it out, then back in and relax again?
    (snake-like?)

that seems very linear to me so maybe u people are thinking about circular?

Julien

"Don't you relax then suddenly flex your arm muscle"?-- Yes, I do that all the time in my Tai Chi class.

And yes I relax again and move with the flow and feel whats going on around me and I do my best to feel the Chi.

Thats all cool, but There is always that certain point where you just have to pick up your speed to accomplish your goal.
    There is no way around it.(unless your fighting someone like Richard Simmons)
    Honest Neutral Clarity

Julien

So, whats your story

What art do you train in?
    How long have you been training?
    where yeah from.

Your profile doesn't say much.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

whoa, i got a profile!

well, i'm from Ontario, Canada (small town, about 2500 people)

i don't train in any art right now
    i train just by exercising right now... mostly speed and flexibility, and strength to a degree.. gotta work endurance soon

i've been doing my training for... um... about 8 months
    it's at least quaded or maybe quinted since then

um, i have some experience with TKD

i'm not so sure that the simple formula p=mv is appropriate to determine the power of someone's punch. there is too much else goin on. i bet if you took two guys of equal weight and equal speed they wouldnt be hitting with the exact same amount of power. one is going to have better structure, waist rotation, sinking, etc . ..

im not saying that speed isn't going to factor into a punches power at all, but it seems very inefficient to try and directly increase power by training speed. that's the direction i thought some of you were heading but i could be wrong.
    where's my beer?