Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How valuable is speed...

i'm a bigger nerd than i thought.

this has actually made me miss physics class. i liked it when i used to know stuff. d@mn college kids.
    where's my beer?

"actually, i am quite smart... IQ of 133
    i just didn't know what u were talking about hehe"

man you just begged to get smacked down.
    where's my beer?

Why would you want to street fight? If by "street fighting", you mean practical self-defense, then when you ask how important speed is in traditional arts and steet fighting I have to ask what the difference is.

I digress. To answer what I think you are asking, speed can be everything. If you have only speed and no technique, you are still ahead of your opponent who has only technique and no speed. If you have both, you have everything you need to defend against any attacker.

People talk about developing power, and talk about speed improving power. While this is absolutely true, the pursuit of power has a limited purpose in this day and age. A practioner's time is much better spent improving speed and accuracy (you need both to be very effective).

You are not likely to need to execute a devastating blow in your lifetime. In today's world, if you need such a blow, it means you have probably made a string of bad decisions and now lack the cognitive dexterity to come up with a better solution.

Peace,

- B. A. Carey

i agree with about 0% of what brent just said.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by BrentCarey
    You are not likely to need to execute a devastating blow in your lifetime. In today's world, if you need such a blow, it means you have probably made a string of bad decisions and now lack the cognitive dexterity to come up with a better solution.

Complete bullsh!t. Absolute horse-crap the lot of it. Sorry mate but where you live must be VERY different from where I live.

In today's world, you're often attacked for little or no reason, by some p"ssed up thug hell-bent on kicking off. Will "undevastating blows" help then. No. You take him down with extreme prejudice. You can't make any decisions there mate, if you want to keep your face.

And don't try to use phrases like "cognitive dexterity" on a 15 year old kid.

Last edited by DelicateSound; 05-06-2002 at 12:13 PM.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

Gee **** Brendt, I mean I'm really interested in the concepts of avoidance and neutralizing an attackers intent with out harming them. But saying that if you need to incapactitate someone due to their violent intensions is somehow your fault for not being clever enough, well I think that's a bit over the top.

Also, most altercations I've been in (come to think of it all) have been with guys much larger than me. No matter how fast you are, if you lack power you will have no effect except perhaps to **** the guy off so you he'll be even more interested in doing you harm.

You guys all need to hug and play nice.

Actually, no, I'm kidding. I like reading arguments. Keep up the fighting while I go and get some popcorn...

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

fu ck you iron fist.

i told you steve really left blues clues. now you're not even gonna share any popcorn. you selfish mannerless pr!ck.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    This is another fine example of how a web forum can be manipulated by a 15 year old with an IQ of 133 (yeah right ).

And yes, your age does kind of disqualify you as some sort of "expert". What, if any, real experience can you have at 15 besides how to groom that pubic mustash? Wait, don't tell me, you've had many life and death altercations in Junior high.

Reading the assumptions of the ill informed is fun to a point but it does get boring fast.

Please go and come back when you have something other than second hand experience.

Flame on.................

meh, never claimed to be an expert... i was asked for my opinion so i gave it :P

i've been in fights before, but u've probably been in more so give your opinion.

and pubic mustache? i shave already man, so please no more comments on how 'developed' u think my body is.

Updated...

Power is a very ambiguous term. When you are talking about the specifics of physics and the generation/transfer of ENERGY physicists use terms like Potential Energy, Internal Energy, Mechanical Equivalent of Heat (Thermodynamics) and so on.

For the purposes of this discussion Kinetic Energy, what masses in motion possess, is most relevant. You can use the equation I provided, or if torque or spin is involved along with angular speed (w), the Moment of Inertia (l) can be said to have a kinetic energy 1/2 lw2 <(squared). This applies to dynamic grappling techs (throws, bars, locks) that occur when a moving object is brought to rest by appropriate means (execution of tech): for example a pulley and rope attached to a wheel that could be made to lift a weight.

Anyway, maybe the book you're using is a little dated, or explains details that have been simplified in the present day classroom. "F" does equal force, but is often not written that way in the simplified equation. Also, the units are expressed in ergs, joules, watt-hrs., foot pounds, etc.. Power is equivalent to all the forms of energy TRANSFER mentioned previously. So the eq. unsimplified would be: KE~ 1/2mv2. Power deals witht the rate of energy tranfer and NOT the AMOUNT. Also the variable "F" is used to signify the effects of a constant net force. Since KE is a scalar quantity, and Kinetic Energy is the energy associate with the motion of an object, it is often convenient to express the equation as, Wnet=KEf-KEi. This is the work-kinetic energy theorem.

The original equation I detailed has all the components within it that explains the amount of energy generated by objects in motion. I used "Power" for purposes of simplicity and maybe I should have given the specifics. P=Fv (Effect), details the avg. power delivered to an object. This is a function of the Kinetic Energy (Cause) that generates this power. Peace...
    Last edited by omegapoint; 05-06-2002 at 05:59 PM.

OMG we are surrounded by physics geeks
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Wink

Originally posted by joedoe
    There can be great value in letting people think you are stupid.
    Truer words never spoken. Let them think you are weak, let them think you are stupid, then. . . HEH HEH HEH. . .
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Exactly

The greatest danger comes from the one you least suspect. Often that is the one you consider beneath your consideration.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Omega--again--I understood what you were trying to say, but when you start using equations, you need to be clear what you're talking about, and power and energy aren't the same thing.

I'm fully aware of the units issue--hence I specified that I was doing dimensional analysis in the convention of kg/m/s, vice, say lbs/f/s or some other convention. Dimensional analysis is just a convenient way to discuss whether or not something is equivalent (or what you might have to do to get the right units), without doing the numbers.

It'd probably be better to discuss impulse as well, but I don't really think I want to...We're looking at a tangled nightmare w/respect to the variables involved, and I don't think it would benefit anybody, even if we COULD do it.

I agree that kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, and I understand that discussing physics w/respect to algebraic type equations without the integral yields an average, not an "instantaneous" result, so your discussion of Wnet=KEf-KEi is clearly relevant since you need the vectors to discuss the work that is actually DONE.

However, will you also agree that the difference between a "punch," and a "push," is at least partially a function of time--that is, how quickly the energy is TRANSFERED determines whether you've punched or pushed something, all else being equal--and that therefore, a discussion of power is relevant in the sense that the faster you can transfer the energy, the "harder the punch?"

Again, this is in PURELY general terms--I really DO NOT want to try and justify all of this in terms of classical physics--overall, I believe that trying to "show," all this in the extremely specific case is a dishearteningly futile effort.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Meanwhile, we out-fitted the vehicle with this big pole and hook which runs directly into the flux-capacitor. At the calculated moment, you start off from down the street driving toward the cable execrating to eighty-eight miles per hour. According to the flyer, at 10:04 pm lightning will strike the clocktower sending one point twenty-one gigawatts into the flux-capacitor.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen