Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do u have KO power???

Ah the good old Randi-Skeptics-Association.

I hear a Rich Mooney joke coming on........

Sharky: I see my suggestion of the "é" was used well

You want to see how petty I get when it comes to Victoria Silvstedt
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

dillman is a tool.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

I'm 5'7", 135 pounds and I just started training, so I'm still trying to discover what would be my advantage in a fight. I suppose I should get into shape a little more before I delve into it any more.

zap ... train to hit harder than anyone you know twice your size. your main advantage is going to be your opponents under estimation of your ability because of your size.

there are other advantages (lower center, shorter limbs give less room to get out of chokes and such, leverage, simply being a smaller target and being able to remove your entire person from the line of attack more easily . .. ) but they sure as hell don't outweigh the advantages that having extra mass has. we just have to train twice as hard.
    where's my beer?

I don't think you need to be able to KO someone with your fist in order to be an effective striker. But, you need to be able to hurt the opponent, to make them feel pain, and to stun them. The point is to disable your opponent, doesn't have to be a punch in the head. Could be you dazed him with the punch, then you slammed in a kick, or threw him to the ground, or destroyed his knee.
    On the other hand, if your punches do not even cause pain, then your striking will be ineffective.

Just another opinion, we all seem to have one around here.

-FJ

Knockout power isnt that hard to come by. A decent boxer of 4-6 months should easily have much more than enough power to knock somebody out with a cross and maybe hooks in a fight. Who said lightweight pofessional boxers and fighters dont hit hard enough to KO? If you have ever seen good professional lightweights fight, they hit crazy hard. Not only do they hit hard, they have really, really good defense, so they dont get hit hard much, and rarely ever take a full shot. That's why there aren't nearly as many KO's as hard punches. Power, or at least enough to KO with a good punch, is fairly common among fighters (not including mcdojo fighters, o' course). Skill, on the other hand, is much harder to come by in large amounts. I can throw a decent punch, but against a good boxer or any good fighter I usually don't get many punches in and get my ass handed to me. Power doesn't win fights alone.
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

MaFuYee and Merryprankster, that's a very closed minded attitude. Next thing you'll be saying that this guy is off his nut.

"... i know a lot of dki have been talking about the fact that a lot of the no-touch stuff isnt practical... how about in a hold-up situation... he tells you to raise your hands, and you do.. only youre so good at projecting your chi, that he starts to get dizzy, and you overtake him... has anyone thought of that application yet... just a thought i had..."
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Rogue, you're KILLING me
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Ahhh, starting to get dizzy? You are now feeling the power of my ki/chi/qui blast.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Re: Do u have KO power???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LEGEND
    For u to be an effective striker which is like every standup fighting style( wing chun, boxing, muy thai etc... ) u need to have KO power rite???

Not really, like Sharky mentioned, some bone breaks don't need lots of power, also, if you have a style that is mixed striking/grappling (mantis) then you're really just striking stuff to break it when it's already in a lock. Likewise grappling styles will often use strikes to "soften up" an opponent so they can apply a technique. Also there are strikes that can seriously hurt the opponent without KO force (eyes, solar plexus, nose, knees, floating ribs).

I mean I have rarely seen in real fights where anyone gets KO unless it's between HEAVYWEIGHT type guys. And so isn't the goal of a striker to KO or Knockdown an opponent???

The KO is a good goal , but if your art teaches how to stomp and low kicking, then a takedown floowed by stomps is good too.

. Most heavy weight guys have KO power without technique...watch FX and see the tough man comps. But it seems that the average man or smaller size man that get into martial arts for confidence and self defense seems to lack this ability.

I am a smally guy. I have KO power, but not with my arms, the one and only time I scored a KO (but then again I don't fight every week Full contact) was with a high roundhouse kick to the head). So I can say I have potential KO power at least.

Maybe that is the reason for the popularity of grappling. Many of the more athletic guys out there spend more time lifting weights while the smaller men and so forth for whatever reasons try to develop their martial arts ability

Personally I do both. I do a lot of Self-resistence type exercies, like push ups etc. I do a lot of flexibility traning. So I try to add to myself as well as my form and power.

Many of the smaller guys do extremely well grappling bigger guys and often beat them in the sparring. But hell have them spar against a bigger guy and BEJESUS. I guess the question especially in regards to real fights is for u to be effective in a standup fighting style u have to have KO power no???

No, not really, ether you can be (a) Dirty with your strikes (b) fast enough to deliver several strikes that will ulitmately KO the opponent or (c) do leg attacks, etc that will take him down and stomp. Those are alternatives to KO
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

If you land right you can knock most people out - the more muscular they are in the neck the harder it seems to be though. I don't know enough about what causes a knock-out to back this up, but my experience seems to give it credence - I've seen smaller guys get dropped without a huge hit, it needs a lot more to drop someone with a bull neck (whiplash from the hit?)

Generally hitting on a downwards line into the jaw with a cross/overhand will do it. I never knocked anyone out with a hook - it just seemed to daze them enough to land the cross.

I've been dropped with an uppercut before - it landed right on the point of my chin and I went straight down. It wasn't a hard hit but my legs went completely. I think that's one of the sweet spots to hit - also one of the hardest....

Anyone who's knocked someone out/been knocked out - in your experience what punch tended to drop you? With me I always felt most rattled from crosses into the jawline - hooks could be rolled with (althought anyone who's rolled into a hook coming the other way knows what that feels like .
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it