Thread: Best Ranger Competition 2002/JWT/Tomahawks

Cool Best Ranger Competition 2002/JWT/Tomahawks

I found this on the Greg Walker forum for the American Tomahawk Comany's annual 2002 Best Ranger Competition and I thought some of you might enjoy it.

Since the American Tomahawk Company and its line of hawks has such a deep history with the Rangers it looks like a fitting competition.

JWT, these are the hawks you liked in action,

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291862441
    Regards

Ahh, Fort Beginning, knives and tomahawks. That was nostalgic. Thanks!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

That was cool.
    Zvika

Black Jack,

Are you sitting down?

Last week I commission a knife from ABS MASTERSMITH J.D. Lambert.

Do you know what an ABS Mastersmith quality knife can do? It's pretty friggin impressive.

Here is his site, but you don't get too good of a look at his stuff here:

http://www.ykc.com/lambert/

I went down and talked to him and got him to agree to making me a 7 inch "Bowie" style blade of his own hand forged Damascus. Single guard, top 1/3 of the edge will be sharpened and bevelled for heavy cutting. Since I'll be using it as my field knife, I've asked him to put a Micarta handle on it.

Here is what my knife will be somewhat like, same general blade shape Micarta handle, but mine will be red or green Micarta with a Damascus guard:

http://www.knifeart.com/rivbow.html

I never thought that I could afford an $800+ knife. But I mentioned to my wife that I had heard of this guy and she comes out with "if you'll sell your bike and drive the truck I'll write the check for that knife". I pushed it and said, "ok, how about the knife and you give me your ok to go to Airborne School in Benning over the Fall?". She says, "deal". So Friday I put my bike in the paper, got my knife ordered and Saturday I got my contract changed to go to Airborne School.

Tee friggin hee.

I'm too d@mn old for a motorcycle anyway.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Thumbs up

You lucky son of a gun

That is one nice looking bowie, that should be one killer hand made field knife, that "River Damascus" Bowie looked real handsome and functional.

I like the choice of green for a Micarta handle but red would be interesting as well, I have not seen many red handles, one thing is for SURE, that sucker should last you a looooong time.

How long is it going to take him to craft the knife out for you??

btw, the Airborne School sounds like a blast, does this mean you are changing your mos?
    Regards

Nope, still 91W, combat medic.

I'll be in Benning for training in November anyway, which is where the Airborn school is. So it wasn't too big of a deal.

I want a red handle so it will be easier to see if dropped, since the Damascus blade is naturally camoflaged.

The knife should take 2 to three months.

I'm going down to see him again later this week so that we can talk about handle size and shape.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Smile

Nice choice in knives JWT. Red micarta is a good idea. Knives have a way of dissappearing the moment they hit the ground.( I found a Buck Folding Hunter under some pine needles on Benning. )
    Your going to LOVE airborne school! In advance, AIRBORNE, ALL THE WAY!
    Remember the time honored tradition of saluting female officers on Ft. benning with a hearty AIRBORNE!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

red on knife

as an ex-ranger myself... the red handle is not 'tactical' so to prevent dropping it, just tie a 'dummy cord' onto your tactical version. either that, or end up doing 982374234 pushups every time your non tactical blade gets spotted

Muchos Gracias for the heads up.
    JWT