Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Spiderman

OT: Spiderman-NOT A SPOILER

Saw Spiderman this weekend.

I love technology.

Those of you who don't remember, Spiderman was originally a cartoon with an infectiously catchy tune featuring the classic lyric "..listen, bub, he's got radioactive blood...," (The Firm would be the next band to attempt to utilize radioactive in a rhyme, with questionable success). That cartoon was about this kid in a red suit endlessly falling off buildings before commercial breaks, then, after the break, he would be at least seventy feet higher than he was before the break and have plenty of time to save himself.

Next, Spiderman appeared alongside what were called his "Amazing Friends". At this point, it was clear that fame had gotten to Spiderman's head, as he hardly ever appeared anywhere near his Amazing Friends, but relegated them to the second half of the show.

In between those two, there was a live action version of Spiderman. In this version, Spiderman liked to stare blankly at the camera. Many believe that this was due to his Spider Sense tingling under the impending inevitability of cancellation. Ironically, the Captain America show under the same producers fared no better, even with an indestructible shield made of clear plastic.

[NOTE: I am told that Spiderman was first a comic book, but I think we can rule out this theory, as nothing as potentially cool as Spiderman could possibly involve reading, even in little balloons. Just ask any kid, reading is just soooo uncool.]

Well, after years of rehab, Spiderman decided to have another go at it, and he really meant it this time. He got a big budget and put together some fine special effects, but unfortunately, he came into work one morning, and fundamentalists had blown up his set. He was able to find what was left of them, punched them a few times in order to subdue them(hey, like a disembodied head never attacked Spiderman before-he's got to play it safe), and left them in front of the police station.

So, he filmed the movie again.

And it was good.

Willem Defoe as Green Goblin completes this movie, and let me tell you, this green goblin can put on a beating better than an abusive parent on a scotch and cocaine bender. Even out of costume, DeFoe looks like the dad from hell, and those who have seen Wild At Heart will be able to really feel the DeFoe dementia at work.

There's also a beautiful woman named Mary Jane in the movie, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one in that theater who wanted to light her head on fire and suck on her toe. Or maybe I was. Anyway, she was beautiful, and like any good Mary Jane, she gave me cottonmouth.

Aunt May is a lot more plumpy than the original Aunt May, but I'd still take a go at her.

The best thing about this movie is spider man swinging around New York. Its phenomenal, breath taking in every way. This is one to see in the theaters, as I suspect it will lose something on the small screen. It also sticks fairly well to the basic Spiderman plot. I would have liked more of the type of camera work used to infer spider sense, but that's just me, and it didn't detract from the movie in any way.

All in all, I give Spiderman four and a half out of five radioactive spiders. Like any good Willem DeFoe movie, its got swinging, Mary Jane, and a lot of poor parenting. And its a good one for the kids.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 05-06-2002 at 02:34 PM.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

As a fellow hero I will say the movie was excellent. We worked together a couple times when I visited NYC and overall I think he is doing a great job.

But on a personal side I will have to stop by and let MJ know what I carry in the utility belt

Peter should understand what it is to be a man and do the right thing with the woman. Since he cannot at this time I will of course step up to the plate and give MJ the service she deserves.

Sorry Pete, great guy but you need help in the chick department.

Dark Knight
    Last edited by Dark Knight; 05-06-2002 at 02:45 PM.

Its fortunate for you that Robin hasn't been checking the forum lately, or you'd have to find someone else to be your "ward".

Talking

Will it take long before this thread turns into: Spiderman is more grappler than striker!
    Oh no!...I did it!

BTW, for all those who think MJ is sweet and innocent, the HULK already bagged her. You can imagine how pure she is....

uh...Spiderman was a comic first. No theory about it.

Thumbs up Spidey Style

Inverted punch on Flash Thompson.
    Cool dodging of strikes(better than Aikido).
    Used sidekick from the ground to beat wrestler.
    Used guard around neck to flip badguy.(Better than Judo & BJJ)
    Super-fast punches & flips.

Spidey is the ultimate Mixed Martial Artist.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Sum Sing Wong,

Considering the scholarly and serious tone of the rest of the review, I can understand your confusion. However, the thing about it not being a comic first was a joke. The rest of it was serious. Especially the part about lighting Mary Jane's head on fire and sucking on her toe.

Does he smoke after sex with Mary Jane or just smoke Mary Jane?

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

I just thought you were comic book illiterate, I get confused easily. But the Hair on fire stuff really did happen.

Actually, its a peer pressure thing. He sees Mary Jane everywhere, hell, even the jocks have Mary Jane, but he can't seem to get any Mary Jane himself.

Sum Sing Wong,
    I was just giving you flack. You are correct, it was a comic book first.

Anyone rember Spider Dan???

You know, that guy that climbed the Sears Tower in a Spider Man suite, and later did comercials for Gingis Formal wear?

I wonder if we will be seeing him any time soon now that this movie is out?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Spidey on T.V.

KC,
    you forgot to mention Spiderman's came appearances on the educational Children's show The Electric Company where he would fight villians like

Dr. illeterate

and

the Tooth Decay Fariey . . .

I just came from the movies, i loved it.

There were three things i did not like (the rest i loved).

1) When he tells her how much he enjoys looking into her eyes and something, way too long scene and super korny.

2) When she says she loves him and all that, same thing as before way to korny and way too long.

3) The whole "Mess with one of us yuo mess with us all!" thing, when people scared the goblin away by using papercups as their artillery, it was a bit excessive in the American "we stand united" undertone or whatever.

Then of course it all ended with a big American flag But i had no problem with that it was cool.

Rest of the movie i loved, from the trailers and such i figured the special effects were a bit unreal, but they looked very real and convincing in the movie, great spiderman costume IMO.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!