Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just observed a BJJ class

Just observed a BJJ class

It seems there is a BJJ school right near my office, so I went to have a look see.

Here are my observations:

- they never switched partners ( in 45 min)

- saw some tough guys who grunted and strained their way through a technique, then babbled about it doing nothing

- lots of other guys standing around doing nothing, then trying out the technique, then back to nothing (like doing sets at the guym)

- about 20% of the class was very serious about training..these guys were very relaxed...even the huge guys didn't really flex their massive arms as they made their transitions.

- everyone except 2 guys had very large muscles...the two skinny guys wore gis

- the head instructor was super nice and seemed very patient

- the techniques theselves were situational (he does this you do that), but were obviously the result of many years of experimentation....oh my god!!! bjj has kata!!!

- the techniques themselves are beautiful and fascinating

- there was a heavy bag in the corner and sparring gear/focus pads behind the desk

Overall, it seemed a great place to train. I look forward to training there soon.

Sounds cool, dude. Glad you found a school you like

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Yep, sounds about right.

Yep, Shadow wrestling and shadow boxing are kata

The straining ones are newish (you'll be doing it too )

What rank was the instructor and who is he under? Just curious--I'm not about to tell you anything bad!!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Oh I didn't ask the instrutor his rank, as he was sorta busy instructing... he had an austrailian sounding accent. It is Renzo's school. I think I'll start soon with a class a week, to get a feel for it and see how much I get out it. I'm still fascinated and having a great time with aikido, but the opportunity to study BJJ at a good school is too good to pass up I think .

If you are training at Renzo's it's top notch. You'll be doing quite well in no time.

I have heard rumors of incurable ringworm from that place. Look into something called Kenshield Skin Protection IF the ringworm rumors are true. I'm not knocking Renzo's! I've just heard.... and I guy I know who trains at a Renzo affiliate had Kenshield...

Wash your gi after every class, and take a good solid shower yourself
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks for the excellent advice about skin treatment...it is a serious concern of mine. What about wearing those ear covering head gear thingies? Do they help protect against ear infections? I fear cauliflower ear...and I've had battles with mat fungus I don't even wanna mention. Guess it comes with the territory.

sorry, but that is disgusting.... *gags*

u can get that stuff in MA classes?

Yep, and be sure to always wear a condom!

If you grapple long enough you will eventually pick up ringworm. It WILL happen.

The headgear will help prevent cauliflower ear, but it can be a pain in the ass. There are many different kinds. I think you'll find the halo sort to be the most streamlined--it works if you don't have cauli, but once you do, they're useless and you have to go with the traditional style. They both come in harder and softer varieties. I found that taping the ear a la Sakuraba helped when the ear started to develop that "sensitive," feeling.

Cliff Keen makes both kinds I think. Brute is also another common company.

I highly recommend asics gel knee pads--sleeve type for both knees, but I have some knee problems.

I have had my ear drained once, and I have VERY light cauliflower ear that has hardened in the other. You really can't tell in either ear that I got it.

The headgear will NOT prevent ear infections, as far as I know. I just make sure to clean everything--or at least dry it thoroughly... although I have been guilty of the "gi funk," a couple of times.

god...

what's a ringworm?

It's a fungal infection... no worse than athlete's foot, but rather contagious. Any number of anti-fungals will take care of it.

Julien, have you considered a local boxing club or wrestling in your quest for an MA? They're cheap and easy to find good instruction.

there is boxing where i am from, but i don't think i will take it

as for wrestling... well, let's just say i haven't had good experiences with grappling... (haha, funny... sex jokes and stuff...)
    i'm too light

i really think i will go into wing chun.

As long as it's a good school, you're golden.

And wrestling is a weight class sport, as is boxing, so size isn't an issue.

My point is only that you can frequently find good instruction in these arts at cheap prices, and they are usually easy to get to. Sometimes you have to range far to find good instruction for other things.

But like I said, if it's a good WC school, run with it.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    So my Video Game/Emulation posts are moved to the Martial Media forum but some dudes revelation to the greatness and confort of rolling on the floor with men gets to stay.

Its a funny world this one
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Don't worry--I'm sure it will get moved soon