Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: will i ever not be sore?!!?

thanks everybody for the info! it's awesome!

but rael, i heard about how massage is good for you, but where can i learn more about it? or can you just give a little brief description about what i could do after class or something, b/c i have no idea how to give myself a massage.

and ironfist, i've heard (from an unreliable source) that you "flush out your nutrients" when drinking so much water, is that true? i really don't think i'm overdoing it either, i mean i go to class 3x a week for an hour and a half each class, and on my off days i usually hit my heavybag and run through some stuff from class, nothing intense.

thanks!

-matt

Thats not true, you would have to drink huge amounts of water and you would most likely puke before that happens. Nutrients and waste go 2 different places. You should drink about 6 32 0z. bottles. Start with maybe 4. You might p!ss alot at first but your body will adapt. Eat more protien too. I had the same problem as you but its not as bad as it used to be. Ironically after i stopped getting sore i didn't think i was working out hard enough but thats not true. Dont excercise on a strict schedule. Listen to your body. If it comes time for you to train and your still sore, skip that day and let yourself heal, eating a few eggs, some fish or having a protien drink will help too.

Respectred - YES massage is great - not only to help remove lactic acid and reduce muscle soreness, but also to stimulate cells and promote growth and repair. The best way would be to find a massage therapist, however, there are some things you can do yourself.

For two basic things you could do:
    1) Stroking - for example, place your hand on your triceps, as though you are going to grab the muscle in an eagle claw kind of way. Then fairly slowly slide your hand over the muscle from the elbow upwards to the shoulder (and over that if you want). Do this as many times as you want - start fairly lightly, then do gradually do it harder and slower, putting more of a squeeze on as you go up. You can also use the blade of your hand for more direct pressure. This can be done for any muscle - just remember, always work towards the heart - this pushes the lymphatic fluid away from the extremities to where it goes to be filtered.

2) Kneading - firmly (but not in a bruising kind of way ) grab a muscle between either your thumb and other four fingers, or between the heel of your hand and four fingers. Think kneading dough Try to squeeze the muscle and lift it up a bit. This feels great if they're sore, and it's really good for them too!

You can use water or oil to make it easier if needed - sometimes a good warm/hot bath and some self-massage on troublesome massage can be great.

What normally makes the muscle feel nicest is probably good for it anyway Have a go, but nothing compares to a good massage from experienced hands - plus they can reach places like your back!!

Rael, anything to comment on or add??
    You do good business in massage?? I'm still studying, will be certified end of semester - about a month or so.

And water is always good It's like having a shower on the inside Oh, and I heard room temperature or warmer water is better than really cold water, because it's more easily absorbed and utilised, more kidney-friendly Anyone heard anything similar??

I'll stop now... sorry about the length!!
    Peace

ironfist

i believe it was iron fist who said:
    "Getting sore after a workout is not good. What if you get in a fight that day? If you're sore, you won't be in optimal condition. "

i'm sorry but that's rediculous. you honestly don't think you should ever be sore from after a workout?

6 32oz??????????????????

WAY TOO MUCH!!

Ok, I heard the same thing about excessive water flushing neutrients out, form a coach woh has a degree in moder exercise phisiology no less.

A normal person needs a minimum of 64 fluid ounces a day or two littl gatorade bottles filled with water.

Those of us who train alot, need more. the best way to gauge is to look at your pee wiloe your going pottty. If it's pure clear your over watering yourself, if it's dark yello, your dehydrated. What you want os an almost clear but with a slight yellow tint to it.

Make sure your color is very slightly tinted yellow, and your good to go. If it's not, then adjust accordingly. It's the most accurate hydrastion test there is short of going to the Doc's and being tested.

sometimes i get in class early though and i have nothing to do, so i stretch a bit (nothing major at all, but still a tiny bit...) completely cold.

Reply]
    NO, always warm up first. I get my arms moving, then my torso, and i finnaly warmup my lower body by running inplace, only I lift my feet to my waist and clap my hands with each step. it's funny looking, but warms you up faster than anyhting. I do 108 (54 clapping each foot) of theses "Special" Kung Fu running inplace exercises. THEN stretch when your nice and hot. You can do short duration stretches, and get more out of them that way too boot.

Also, for soreness, aside from upping your protien and resting a bit more, try some Ginseng, Bee Pollen and Royal Jelly both before and after your workout. It SERIOUSLY helps with soreness, and speeds your development very noticably.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a