Thread: How are the 'street arts' in MMA tournaments?

How are the 'street arts' in MMA tournaments?

i am just curious about how they do - or if they are not in any, how u think they would do.

two of my uncles used to be successful street fighters in Vietnam... they're like 45 or 48 now so that's long gone but just in learning it got me thinking...

i know they both used some form of kung fu but it would probably have been altered if it was for 'no-holds-barred' alley-fighting.

Kapow,
    Julien

OMG, don't ask....

There have been *so* many threads on this its unbelievable.

I'll sum up for you (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone):

Traditional arts in the UFC, Pride etc have done appallingly.

MMA will tell you that this is because they are ineffective and crap.

TMA will give you a variety of reasons for why this is, varying from the ridiculously absurd (we cannot fight unless it is to the death etc.) to the fairly reasonable (you must train for the ring in order to be successful in the ring).

There have been traditional MA who have done OK with a little bit of cross training in other more ring-specific arts.

I know BeautifulValley won a MMA fight the other week using Tai Chi. i am not aware of whether he cross trained or not.

Talking

Hey Julien, I may have seen them fight. Go ask for lessons and don't let them charge you anything.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

I suspect at this point "street fighters" are at a bit of a disadvantage. MMA events have been adding rules to prevent serious injury, but really to make the sport more viable for television and pay per view (and really really, gambling).

They have done poorly, both historically and recently--remember that MMA type events have been around, at least in Brazil, far longer than the UFC, etc, and with far fewer rules than currently exist.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Julien, what do you consider the "street Arts'?

well, a street art would be a whole philosphy of techniques u use for in reality fighting... but adapted from a traditional art making it an art

oh and i doubt u've seen my uncles... they don't go into tournaments and they are kinda old.

Zulu smacked alotta folks around in B razil.Den him meet RICKSON.
    Would you ask your men to carry a weapon that was “theorized” to work but had never been field tested to meet the high demands of modern day special operations? Of course not! Then why should we “assume” that the stunts and routines that are taught in most unarmed combative courses will work for real? The fact of the matter is that most of these courses, regardless of their many colorful origins, offer techniques that have not been “battle tested” against aggressive, non-compliant individuals.

Talking

SCOTTY!:

I only do tai chi

second" tai chi is cross training and one of the oldest forms of mma"

BeautifulValey:

Nice one.

" tai chi is cross training and one of the oldest forms of mma"

How so?

What defences do you have against grapplers?

it is what ever you think all the top mma guys train + things they wouldn't even begin to think aobut

and grappling _ constant even space b/t opponent

and definitly elbows to the kidneys and floating ribs

tai chi has lots of grappling base , just depends what school your from

So you maintain the distance and strike against takedown attempts?

The Techniques of Tai Ji Quan are primarily grappling oriented. Although practitioners are trained to strike with all parts of the body, purely percussive techniques (strikes designed to cause local tissue damage) are far less common than the grappling oriented techniques which include pushing, pulling, twisting, sweeping, locking, throwing and knocking. Techniques such as these are designed to control the opponent's center and displace him in space.
    http://www.shenwu.com/taichi.htm

Cool. I would like to do Taiji if I can find a good teacher.
    Maybe I'll find one in China.

I don't care which art I do! I'll go with the best teacher I have available, taiji, wingchun, kickboxing.