Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are dragon Flags?

Ford,
    No worries!

fa_jing,
    If ab exercises are something you want to concentrate on, I'd recommend getting a hold of "Beyond Crunches/Bulletproof abs" video or book. Dragon Flags are one of the exercises featured there.

KG

Hey, when you have a program that goes something like

A1-Bench
    A2-Squats

B1-Lunges
    B2-Deadlifts

The program says no rest between A1 and A2, but rest 1 minute or so between A2 and B1. Repeat the list of exercises 5 times.

Does this mean do one set of A-1s and A-2s, then rest and move on to B-1, or Do 5 sets of A-1s and A-2s and then rest and do 5 sets of B-1s and B-2s?

Boxer's crunches.... If you have a partner working out, have them push your feet back towards the ground (and resist the push).... makes those reverse crunches even harder....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

ewallace:

I think it means do a1, a2, b1, b2 as a set 5 times.

"Grab the leg bars" - either grab the legs or some benches have a leg rack on one end, grab that.

strike!

I think so too. That's the way I did it this morning...the A1-A2 to B1-B2.

Actually I was wrong. You are supposed to do A1, A2 for X number of sets, then move on to the B1 and B2s.

Dragon Flags & Dragon Walks

THE DRAGON WALK IS SO HARD YOU’LL BE BREATHING FIRE BY THE TIME YOU’RE DONE
    GOOD SWEAT
    TEHRENE FIRMAN, DECEMBER 10, 2019

Photo: Getty Images/Ridofranz

It’s safe to say any exercise with “dragon” in its name is going to be ridiculously hard. Take the dragon flag, for instance—a Martial arts-inspired move where you literally turn your body into a human flag on a flag pole. And the dragon walk is no exception.

“It’s an excellent core exercise, but it incorporates so many muscle groups that it feels like you’re working the entire body,” says Tee Major, trainer and author of Urban Calisthenics. “I like to start with this exercise because it takes the most energy, by far, than any other exercises you’re going to have in your workout.”

Once you’re done with the dragon walk, you might just be breathing fire.

How to perform the dragon walk

Start in a push-up position. Go down into a push-up, and on your way back up, raise your left arm and right leg into the air, keeping your hips square to the floor.

As you move your left hand forward and position it onto the floor, bring your right leg to your side at a 90-degree angle and complete a staggered push-up.

Push youself back up, this time repeating the process on the opposite side with your right arm and left leg in the air.

After you get used to the movement, speed it up so you’re walking forward like a macho, badass dragon.
    I'm delighted that we have a thread related to this already.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Back to Dragon Flags

This was linked from the article above. It's more relevant but the one above popped up on my newsfeed just now and made for some good thread necromancy.

THE ‘DRAGON FLAG’ IS A MARTIAL ARTS-INSPIRED AB EXERCISE THAT SETS YOUR CORE ON FIRE
    GOOD SWEAT
    TEHRENE FIRMAN, OCTOBER 17, 2019

Photo: Getty Images/Masego Morulane

World-famous martial artist Bruce Lee was known for many things, including his signature abdominal strength-training move known as the dragon flag—the ultimate test of core strength. And considering it involves essentially turning your body into a human flag on a flag pole, I’d have to say it probably works pretty well.

If you can do perform the dragon flag, you’re probably at a good place with your core work and able move on to even harder bodyweight exercises, like one-arm pushups and front levers. And if you can’t quite do it just yet, we’ve got the break down.

Here’s exactly how to do a dragon flag

To get the base level of core and lower back strength required to do a dragon flag, start with these progressions recommended by THENX Elite Calisthenics. Then, you’ll eventually move into the full dragon flag.

PROGRESSIONS:
    dragon flag flutter kick
    single-leg dragon flag raises
    dragon flag switching legs
    dragon flag negatives
    dragon flag hip raises

HOW TO DO A DRAGON FLAG:

Lie on your back with your arms overhead holding onto something stable, like a pole.

Lift your legs up into the air with your feet, legs, and torso sturdy and in a straight line. Only your upper back should be on the floor with all your weight in your shoulders and upper back.

Keeping that straight line, slowly lower your body back down until it’s hovering parallel to the ground. Remain controlled in order to avoid arching your back. Then, raise your legs back up and repeat.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart