Thread: Ot: Nyc

Ot: Nyc

I'll be in NYC for the first time in a while (my last trip there kinda got sidetracked to upstate b/c of 9/11.). Any good kung fu/ china things that are somewhat new? Anyone know any good places to get weapons or uniforms in Manhatten? Any good Kung fu movie stores?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

jeez. - there's more to life than stupid martial arts stuff, you know. - if you're comming to nyc, you'd be better off spending your time shopping/eating/clubbing/people watching. - chinatown is just dag-nasty, and all the martial arts crop they sell there is just the same cheap, (overpriced) garbage they sell in all the martial arts mags.

there are over 1900 bars in manhattan alone. - why not see how many of them you can visit in one night.

but, if you want bootleg martial arts videos, you can go to 108 lafayette st. (concord video) - they sell them for $5 a piece.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

to address the martial arts store question:

Bok Lei Po Trading Inc. : 63A Mott Streeet
    BLT Supplies, Inc. : 77 Mulberry Street

both in Chinatown, but of course.
    just happened to have both their cards in my wallet, lucky you . and KUNG FU MOVIE STORES! OMG! they're ALL over downtown around chinatown. there's a little crap place on the corner of church st and canal, then if you walk up canal towards chinatown you'll find a lot of places, mostly specializing in vcds...some dvds and vhs, but not really, anyways, vcds are awesome if you have something to play them on (you can rip them on to your comp if not), and they're mad cheap, usually 5 bucks or a BIT more a pop. there's a good vcd store on mott as well, and then another one on mott heh, the're all over, just keep your eyes pealed. have fun!

-matt

Cool Food...

http://www.jetsetting.net/article.php?sid=16

Tao Restaurant - see review, has excellent seared tuna!

If you are in the area it will be worth checking out if you have lots of money in your wallet.

Godzilla

Well, if you want DVDs there are a few good places. There is one store directly across the street from Bok Lei Po on Mott. There is another really good place on Pell street, right next door to Joe's Shanghai. Speaking of Joe's, you should really try to eat there at one point, the soup dumplings are awesome.

If you do end up buying anything, pay in cash. They don't charge sales tax that way.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Thanks guys! MaFuYee, no, I know, I grew up just outside the city, we used to go down almost every weekend to club and bar hop. I wasn't into cma back then as I am now, so just wanted to know what knowledge some of these folks could share and I am only planning on stopping buy Chinatown and the like for a few minutes en-route to a few other places nearby. I really appreciate the restaurant info, as I plan on being down there for a few days, a couple options in the food department isn't always bad.

Thanks again.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Goodland Martial Art Supply is on 6th Ave and I think 28th or 29th. They have a great slection of edged weapons, and piles of books. I have found some real gems hidden there. Sometimes they are over priced, or know what they have (such as the copy of Gogen Miyagi's KARATE which they let sit around with a price tag of $300).

They have some things you won't find downtown. Honda Martial Arts is near by, but they are more for JMA/KMA folks.

Enjoy

if it's videos you are looking for then you need to go to the
    43rd Chamber. This place used to be on 42nd St, then moved to 43rd when Gulliani decided to clean up Times Square. They are now located on 41st. St between 8th Ave and B'way (not the place near the corner of 8th Ave, but further down the street). They didn't renew their lease on 43rd St and had to move (so they very well may be called the 41st Chamber now). Anyway, this place has been around for years before it became hip to own kung fu movies and before anyone else was seliing kung fu movies. They have the video and maybe dvd for just about every kung fu movie you can think of. They are famous among martial art actors for their selection and years in the game.
    it's almost like visiting a piece of nyc/martial art history!
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

HAHA! I just asked about the 43 St Chamber, as I used to visit often (I live on 47th).

THANKS!!

(They have the best quality tapes in NY, IMO...and they have K1 vids for cheap)

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Ya gotta go eat at Lucky Chan's -decent food, and very entertaining waitresses.

vegetarian paridice on mott street is a great restoreront and there are two martail art stores around the corner.