Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wah Lum Kung fu in Orlando, FL

Post HEY GUYS! (Mod note)

How far away from Mantis are we going to get here?
    Please head back to a forum topic.
    Thanks,
    BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Frogman

ello,
    sorry frogman, but i'm not sure i know who you are either! *sheepish grin*

well, kf is full of politics....what's that saying? put more than two people in a room and there will be politics....you do learn an awful lot here that you won't learn at school...about the underbelly of the kf world, that is.

despite it all, still training and i'm glad to hear you are, too.

and as for getting miffed...i have always held my tongue....i'm tired of it. if someone wants to rip on me, they better have the bollocks to back it up...*GRIN*

cheers!
    vixie
    learn kindness, learn fellowship, learn kung fu

vixie

I may have missed it, but do you train or teach at the temple? If so, what was your experience like?

Does the Wah Lum Temple have a specific class for lion dance?

SSW

ello,
    i was an asst. instrutor at the Tampa school. It was a wonderful experience...i really loved helping people. Particularly the kids. They were a trip! I think with more classes for them, we could have more properly instructed them...but it was great nevertheless. It's one of the things that saddens me most about leaving. I really miss helping people.

*sigh*

vix

yu shan,

no specific class for lion dance. Usually, a couple months before Chinese new year, sifu Mimi holds a weekly lion dance practice for volunteers. Newer students learn laughing Buddha and basic Lion Butt (maybe that should be an official form); advanced students do the head and also the lifts.

Lion Butts 'sub in' for lifters during the longer dances, then the advanced students come in to do the technical work. That way everyone gets a bit of a break.

And yes, I was a Lion Butt this year.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Ahh, the Lion's Butt

There's nothing like it. My horse stance, as well as all the others, got a lot better by Lion dancing.

Sorry, I read your post and got nostalgic.

It seems like everything gets stronger when you train in lion dance. The back position generally is the stronger of the two members of the team. Yet to my knowledge, it is by far the easiest. The front member of the team has much more responsibility. Sort of the quarterback, so to speak. I could talk for hours on lion, don`t want to bore our karate friends, they have no idea. I hear ya M9.

Hi Vixie

If you were an asstn. instr. of the Tampa WL guan, you must have been with TH. Right? Just curious, good luck to you.

Thanks SaM, was fortunate to be a part of lion performances for Temple, what an experience! One hundred shows in one day! I can see the reason for "subs". I strongly push lion dance on my senior students, one of the most difficult parts of training in CMA.

Hi Yu Shan

yes indeed

reply for tao of wushu

tao of wushu,
    thanks for your interest,

my experience at wahlum in orlando was amazing.... and a physical challenge.
    i was there for three weeks and trained more in one day ( for 5 days a week) than i usually do in a week. talk about a sore body....

i can RX this temple without reservation for anyone that wants a true kung fu experience.
    i will be going back asap....

later,
    ROC DOC
    "he listened to the devil and learned that EVIL KUNG FU... but he saved the temple"

-arhats in fury

Glad to see you're home safe, Roc Doc!!

It was great having you here at the temple. You'll have to come back soon so we can all go out for dim sum again!

And for those who are wondering: yes, Roc Doc can kick a**!!
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Sum Sing Wong
    You're welcome to come by the Temple and snap a few pictures like most do when they come here. If your driving down you might want to stock up on weapons and supplies before heading back. How many are coming with you? Have you tried to negotiate a package deal? Drop me an e-mail and I'll see if I can help you out.

9dragonshijin, vixie
    Sorry to see you guys go but sometimes these things happen. You're lucky enough to have a school nearby where you can leverage your previous training and not have to start over from scratch. Good Luck.

Roc Doc
    Glad you enjoyed your time at the Temple. Come back anytime.

Hua Lin

How`s things out west? Good to see ya posting again.

Roc Doc

Did you learn anything new? If so, what and who taught you? Just curious.