Thread: Remembering Sifu Brendan Lai

Remembering Sifu Brendan Lai

This is a simple remembrance for Sifu Brendan Lai who passed away this day one year ago. (September 23, 2002)

We should remember that Sifu Lai did much during his lifetime to spread the teachings of 7 Star Praying Mantis, even from his early days of teaching in the 60's in the San Francisco Bay Area - where he taught students without regard to their race or background.

His legacy includes his original class in San Francisco as well as schools run by Sifu Tony Chuy in NY, and Sifu Samuel Mendonca in Brazil.
    Last edited by lost mantis; 10-08-2003 at 07:24 PM.

a good man, and good teacher.

david
    enjoy life

Maximum respect!

With Much Recpects to a Great Grandmaster

It really has been a year. It is really sadden when our community is reminded that another Old Dragon has pass to a better place.

The Old Dragons can never be replaced and his passing is a lost to the CMA community world that cannot be measured.

Repects to him and to his disciples who will carry out his wishes to continue to teach his style, Seven Star Praying Mantis.
    Last edited by NorthernShaolin; 09-25-2003 at 10:40 AM.

Re: With Much Recpects to a Great Grandmaster

Repects to him and to his disciples who will carry out his wishes to continue to teach his style, Seven Star Praying Mantis.
    I only wish I could have studied from him.

7 props to the Lai family style of 7*!!!!!!! From the Northern Shaolin family.

~Jason
    Last edited by Fen; 09-25-2003 at 05:42 PM.
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Honored

Hello,
    I consider myself very fortunate and honored to have met my Sigung Lai on two seperate occasions in New York as well as having the opportuntiy to learn from him one of many things including a weapon sparring set which has inspired me very much and made me appreciate the chinese martial arts as a whole.

My condolences to Sigung Lai's family.
    Last edited by mantisrider; 01-28-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Its truly sad when anyone goes, especially a grand master. Much respect to him and those who continue in spreading the tradition of 7* praying mantis.
    How did he go?
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

how did he died?

Sigung Lai's passing...

It is my understanding that Sigung Lai passed away from complications due to diabetes.
    "I've learned the value of taking no
    action." Tao te Ching

Sigung Lai's passing

As long as those of us who were his students continue training and growing, then his legacy will continue.

another file

sorry for this being late, I meant to post this with the other picture, but i guess it only allows one attachment per post.

Here is a picture of Sifu Lai's headstone where he is buried in Colma, California.

I humbly submit this for the benefit of those in his lineage who cannot travel to visit him. You can print it out and hang it over your practice area, so he may watch and inspire you!

tsk tsk, the forum only allows 100k attachments so i had to crop and compress.
    Last edited by lost mantis; 10-08-2003 at 07:53 PM.

Lost Mantis,

Thank you very much for posting the photo of Lai Sigung's headstone. Many of us in NY have not been able to visit yet and pay our respects in person.

Vance Young
    www.northernmantis.com