Thread: has anyone seen sifu michael haley

has anyone seen sifu michael haley

I was learning from Sifu Michael Haley about 7 months ago in my basement. He was teaching me Shun Style 8 Step Preying Mantis. He said he wanted to train with an 8 Step Preying Mantis sifu named John Chan from Taiwan, who trained with Grand Master Wei, so we stopped training so he could check out his classes. But I haven't heard from Sifu Michael since, I would like to know who Sifu Chan is, and how I can get in contact with him and find out about training and his mantis classes. If anyone has any information about Sifu Chan please let me know.

Yeah, well if this is the guy that i'm thinking of...
    Sorry to break the news to you but hes in jail.
    He told his students he was going to china but he was actually going to jail for running a drug buisness out of his school.
    I, Chang Tzu dreamed i was a butterfly. Now that I wake I do not know if I am a man who dreamed of a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming I am a man.

dragonball,
    Haley was known to us as Earth Dragon.
    The most entertaining and controversial poster to ever grace the kung fu forum.

Ronin,
    I didn't want to say it, but I did hear something along those lines.
    I only hope it was blown out of proportion through the retelling and isn't as bad as it seems.

4. Unfortunately It's true. The Icing on the cake is that he wasn't a certified instructor for 8 Step.

here is john chang's email address:

aimt_jchang@yahoo.com
    To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

Does laziness always win, or can it not be defeated?

The ULTIMATE in self defense:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QInKKHlB51g

My name is Dean Economos and I've been studying martial arts for 35 yrs, 20 of it under Master James Shun and eventually became an 8 Step Preying Mantis teacher under Master James Shun as a fifth generation peying mntis disciple. I've read all the controvesy about his legitimacy, mostly through Paul Lin, I don't know if it's true or not, but personally I don't care. I've seen and felt his kung fu techniques first hand and so did many of my students through the years. And nobody that's seen it and felt it can deny his power and effectiveness in fighting. But if it is true about him, then it's unfortunate and I'm sorry for him the way he mislead people and especially me and my students. But it still doesn't change the fact that he was my teacher and I studied 8 step preying mantis and Wu style tai chi from him. As far as I'm concern the fighting techniques were very effective and still are, whether it's legitimate or not. I opened 2 schools in Buffalo, New York and taught 8 Step and tai chi for 12 yrs. I haven't been involved with Master James Shun and his federation for 4 yrs now, because of personal reasons. I still teach my version of 8 Step Preying Mantis, Wu style tai chi in San Francisco, Calif. and I have a loyal following of about 70 students. The point I'm making here is a student of mine named Michael Haley was certified by me as a sifu to teach 8 Step Preying Mantis and Wu style tai chi. I'm not involved with any of the bull**** politics of the American Chinese Martial Arts Federation and neither is Sifu Micheal Haley. He was my student and I was the one who promoted him to sifu. And that's the way it is. As fas as rumors of him presently being in jail i dont know if he is or isn't, unfortunately I lost touch with him about 1-1/2 yrs ago. You should have some proof before you talk just like the bit about his certification. End of story.

If anyone has information that was requested, please email the originator of this thread.

I will not have this thread decay any further.

Best Wishes,
    ~BTL
    Last edited by BeiTangLang; 10-07-2003 at 12:47 PM.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Further info.

baldmantiz

sifu michael haley
    i received a letter from sifu michael haley a month and a half ago from california informing me that he has begun studying yoga and is no longer training in mantis. he and his wife both hope to see him home in buffalo sometime during the winter.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!