Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Advertise or Brag that you know Kung Fu??

Kung Lek

good reply!!!
    Honest Neutral Clarity

No. I hate mentioning it because it is always taken wrong.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

Every time I see some little kid play fighting I go up and tell them I know kung fu and they look at me like I'm on crack. Then I explain about Bruce Lee being a kung fu master and the look dosen't change. Then I say Jet Li and nothing happens. Then I say Jackie Chan and they mention something about Chris Tucker or saturday morning cartoons and I have to kick the **** out of them.
    Every time I meet somebody I say: "Hello, my names tri2bmt and I know kung fu. I can kick your ass."
    I wear my clubs t-shirt, sweater, jacket, headband, embroidered pants and shoes, symbolized socks, headband and I have a collection of pamphlets I hand out to anyone I meet including the people I sit next to on the bus. I also have three tattoos of my clubs symbol.
    Did I mention I practice kung fu and can kick your ass?
    No?
    Well then, I practice kung fu and I can kick your ass!
    Train hard, live long and prosper.

that was the best response yet. i addmit it now, i show off so much. this one kid gave me this eye like you wouldn't believe, so i did a 27 hit combo and then followed up by a tiger belly fireball. ahhh, the power of bs.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

I once flipped out and killed everyone around me screaming: I KNOW KUNG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *mad grin*
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

tri2bmt

That old lady cashier I was talkin about could kick the sh!t out of your a$$ any day of the week,without a dought.
    Old women like beating up on wimps.
    Even the bus driver would put your a$$ in it's place.
    You should stop wearing kung fu logos,doesn't your a$$ get sore from getting it kicked all the time??
    Honest Neutral Clarity

I have a huge family (aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews) and it's great because they all appreciate the martial arts. I have a cousin and uncle in kickboxing and another cousin who taught TKD. Me and my brother do TKD and have several more cousins and uncles who have been in some kind of martial art at least for a little while. So it's nice when family really understands that you take martial arts and not like it's ballet or something.

As for friends, my friend takes kung fu and we have intelligent conversations about the martial arts but beyond that I don't usually bring up that I take a martial art to anyone else unless it just comes up. Then I'll talk about it if they care to listen.
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

My favorite thing to do is to take logic and whoop it's ass while branding it with my Temple Kung Fu cow brander. Then me and ol simon get together and write books about places we never been to, martial arts we've never done and people we could never beat up. Then we practice that martial art for ho mosexuals... um... what's it called.

Oh yead...Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Now I got it.
    Train hard, live long and prosper.

I don't hide it, but I don't advertise it either. If people ask me about it, I say I train but am not very good. Otherwise I don't say anything really.

And I hate demoing for people who know nothing about MA.

Once I was in Tokyo and I met a lady whose family was like a Okinawan Karate family (kinda like lineage holders I think) and she could pick that I trained in MA just by watching the way I stood. That was kinda gratifying and embarrassing at the same time
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

no matter how hard i try ,
    somehow the truth always comes out.
    people like to introduce me ,then on a side note tell people that i do karate or taekwondo...(kungfu if they actually remember what i really do). here meet my freind he can flip you...
    whats up with that ?
    feel really embarassed when that happens in the clubs or at parties... sometimes, sometimes its cool.
    Last edited by Starchaser107; 05-12-2002 at 06:00 PM.

Last edited by logic; 05-13-2002 at 02:02 PM.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

Tri2bmt

I'm sorry,
    I still LOVE you.

Forgive me????
    Honest Neutral Clarity

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    no matter how hard i try ,
    somehow the truth always comes out.
    people like to introduce me ,then on a side note tell people that i do karate or taekwondo...(kungfu if they actually remember what i really do). here meet my freind he can flip you...
    whats up with that ?
    feel really embarassed when that happens in the clubs or at parties... sometimes, sometimes its cool.
    'no matter how hard you try'? give it a rest, boy. you brag. which doesn't speak too highly of you

If it comes up it comes up, but I never say too much about my skill level, which is not very high anyway so I just tell the truth.

I would certainly never brag about it though, because if there's one thing I've learnt its that the majority of people have done some kind of fighting in their lives, and a lot of those people could kick my ass.

No point asking for it.

I mention it under the context of "so, what do you do?". Most people in NYC have a job and then some major project that they are doing that constitutes their real life's goals....mine happens to be studying the martial arts.

Thre's nothing so special about training that you shouldn't talk about it.