Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you Advertise or Brag that you know Kung Fu??

Thumbs up

if there's one thing I've learnt its that the majority of people have done some kind of fighting in their lives, and a lot of those people could kick my ass.

Scotty: can i use that for my signature? - i think it sounds mint

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I definitely don't brag about it because I am nowhere near being good enough to brag. I keep saying that I am going to start keeping it a secret but that is kind of impossible when you have two ceramic Bruce Lee statues, a Bruce Lee calender and a Jet Li poster at your desk at work. So someone usually walks past and ask "hey are you into that stuff?" Then my cover is blown. I feel sorry for people who ask me in depth questions about martial arts because I usually talk their ears off about it. I can't help it. I guess you can call it an addiction. The only times I wish no one knew that I studied Kung Fu is when some jerk at work comes up to me and makes stupid Bruce Lee noises (I'm sure everyone on this forum has been subjected to such mockery). Those are the people that you want to kick the crap out of. Or when someone asks, "Hey are you gonna' see Kung Pow?". I have found that martial arts are a big joke to a lot of people who know nothing about it. They actually think that the stuff they see on t.v and at the movies is real. Ok, I have vented enough. Peace!

What do you think about prejudicing knowledge of martial arts due to nationality? If you are Brazilian, people come up to you and ask "do you know that bjj stuff?" and if you are Asian then same applies but just that their question is "can you do karate?". I think it's disgusting and would say it's like racism, eventhough they don't intend to be rude. Even my PE teacher did that. Ignorant people do this - dunno whether they wanna start a conversation or are they just being curious.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

I have the same problem. I'm german, and everyone is always asking me, "Hey, are you in a two front war right now?", and "How's the slave camps?" and "Hey, look, there's a French guy. Go make him surrender."

For the last time, though I am of German descent, I have no idea how to use an enigma device.

I'm sick of it. Not ALL of us germans have sunk our own navies.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Anyone who knows me, knows I train. I am always trying to recruit people into it. I love it so much its hard for me not to talk about it.
    I am 30 and have more stamina and coordination in everything I do, than I ever had in my life. Funny thing is, knowbody ever wanted to fight me because of knowing it. I think it makes people think twice. Even if they won't admit it.
    Yes I do bust out kicks just about whenever I feel like it.

This thread reminds me of when I was in high school, 16 years old. I was taking TKD with my dad at the time, and being the man he is, he decided to get us matching tacky trashy TKD jackets, bright blue with stitched names, insignias, and a big old fist, knuckles out that dominated the back of the jacket. Cost 75 dollars each, so he expected me to wear the thing. Not thinking at the time, I thought it was great. Then I remembered that I went to high school in the city, at a magnet school that was located in a fairly bad neighborhood, plenty of tough kids hanging around and trying to provoke you at times on the way to the bus. Plus, where I caught the bus was at a depot, with a subway entrance there were fights all the time there, once I even saw a bunch of guys beating on this other guy's back with a baseball bat.
    So, since I'm here typing to you now, you know that I was not stupid enough to wear a provoking garment in the midst of such a rumble-prone atmosphere.

Of course, if I had known ninjitsu, I would have gadly worn the jacket, flipping out and kicking anyone in the head that stood in my path or dared to jeer at my jacket.

-FJ

I have the name of my Wing Chun lineage tattoed across my chest and the name of my school tattooed across my shoulders so no matter which way I land you will see I am in kungfu! Does that count?

hehe, funny stories..

My car has our club logo on it and i have contacts wiht the name on them. I also have our clubs soundtrack and14 Volume book by the grandmaster Simon.
    Train hard, live long and prosper.

*ahrm ahrm*..Tae Li's in the house...sorry need a grand entrance

yes, well, bragging about that fact that your a martial artist...Kung Lek had the best answer for that, only when your standing in the grocery store and there a really long line....

I dont like telling people that i do TaeKwondo or studied abit of TaI cHI, mainly due to the fact that Im female and then your sort of labelled a 'buffy' or a kick ass tomboy...well thats the way it was back at school, but now at uni, if its broughtup, or if i happen to mention i cant hang out with you lot later cos i have training, then its possible that they will ask :"oh? what are you training in", but then all the questions start rolling in:

- what belt are you...thats my fav. esp, when i answer white belt
    - how long have u been in it? my answer, oh two weeks, heehee.
    - (or when you are honest with them) so can you kick arse? my reply: "dunno now, what me to try it out on you?" hehehe
    - if five guys approached you could you take them on even tho. your a girl? my reply" why take them on? if there goodlookin enuf, ill wink instead and take em' home..."lol

So, u can see, why i sometimes do like to avoid it, but other than that I am very very proud that I have skills in MA (yes i do) and if its ever neccesary to be used that I wont hesitate.

peace people.

Tae Li
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

Tae Li

Have you ever trained at uni? I remember seeing people do this and think it was kinda wierd. But then again that is because I don't like training in public (I hate people watching me while I train).
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I never bring it up. My boss keeps telling clients that I'm some sort of deadly weapon, which really annoys me. I'd rather be respected at work for my professional skills rather than my outside interests.

I never wear club T shirts or similar in public places. Too many wackos. About the closest I've come is wearing my wrestling boots on the train coming home from training.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yeah, I hate it when people introduce me like that too. Makes you sound like a monster. Puts you in a very embarrassing place.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

nope never trained at uni Joe, although i had this chinese mate who used to beg me to go and be his training partner cos he knew i wes exp., but i n ever lived up to the idea. oh well.

Tae Li
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.