Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Advertise or Brag that you know Kung Fu??

Question Do you Advertise or Brag that you know Kung Fu??

What I'm sayin is.
    Do you go just a little out of your way to let people around you know that you know Martial Arts.

Like always wearing a martial arts T-shirt
    Always mentioning something about Martial Arts to your friends?
    Practicing forms in the most Unapproprate places (like your FRIENDS parents 25th wedding anerversey)

I didn't do that

I left my 3 sectional staff at my moms house because she has this Huge back yard where I practice.

I must admit that at Thanks Giveings, It was at my parents house and the whole family was there and my 3 sectional staff was Layin out in the foyer, People would ask "Whats that"
    My mom would reply "Oohhh, it's just some (jitsu ku jow) type of Thing.

I would say "yeah, thats it" and act all cool until someone would ask more about it (being Kung Fu)and someone always does.

Anyway, I will admit that I enjoy sayin I know Kung Fu, But I even enjoy more discussing Kung Fu with someone who knows it.

YEAH, I'm a show off to a certain extent
    BUT I don't Brag straight out to people about it.
    In fact, if it doesn't come up,I'll never say anything.

SO, do you wear T-shirts saying your Kung Fu school?
    Or go out of your way to let people know that you know Kung Fu?

Do you see anything wrong with this??
    Last edited by logic; 05-10-2002 at 08:19 PM.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

I don't brag, but I don't hide it ether

If it comes up , it comes up. If someone asks why my arms are 50% brused, I'll answer "kung fu". I don't belive in hiding it, but I'm not really a show-off ether.

I always tell the truth as much as I can also , I'll tell them I do KF, but I always add that I am much better at Fencing, as it is my main art.

I have a KF hooded sweatshirt, but only becuase I liked the design, not out of some real need to be recognized.

Disscussion with someone who knows their stuff is really a lot of fun, since sometimes you feel like you're the only one crazy enough to do this.

BTW : www.Superaction.com , has some cool stuff.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

well, i see nothing wrong with bragging about the fact that you know kung fu. i don't do it, but my friends are always doing it! i told a select few of my friends that i take kung fu (about a yr and a half ago) and now EVERYBODY knows and they are ALWAYS bragging about it! it's freakin weird lol.

and this morning, my female friend who practices shaolin at a different school from me in the city made me practice w/ her before school AT the school, right in front of it where the buses pull in, and we were basically "comparing notes" (doing forms and different basics and whatnot) and EVERYBODY was watching, it was mad funny. people in suburbs have no clue about kung fu! they're all like "are you dancing or something?" and 50 people must've come up to me that day and asked me about it...oh my...well it was fun...and we unintentionally got a massive crowd, we just wanted to friggin practice!

i definitely don't show off though, it was strictly practice and not performance, and i try to stay as "humble" as a 16 year old in highschool who takes kung fu can be (which isn't THAT much, but i try, i swear, d*mn friends!!!!)

4. begby,

Then you have to hold back from smashing their throat.
    You're not living up to the name begby, because of course he'd never hold back.

That's definitely one of my favorite movies.

I only brag about it in crowded lines at the grocery store.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I joke about it with my friends at work and all, but I wont go out of my way to say I practice. I usually say it more if something happens, say a guy walks into my resturaunt in a Gi, or kid (and yes I've seen kids wearing there karate outfits), I'd joke with my coworkers saying I could take them. Then they ask why and I'd tell them.

Then after that I joke around, doing the Karate Kid references. I dont show off or anything though doing forms. I think the only time I showed off at work was doing some chain punches and I threw maybe 10 at most. Some dude asked how fast I could punch so I threw 5 punches in a second. Then another 5 a few weeks later when another coworker wanted to see it.

The first time it actually came up was when someone asked why I never work Monday or Wednesday and I said thats when I go to my Kung Fu classes.
    Last edited by PHILBERT; 05-10-2002 at 11:22 PM.
    I have a signature.

hey: respectred

When you're 16 and male you can't possibly help bragging the bragging horomone is running full-force in your blood.

Brag on dude. Just don't expect to keep it up to your 30s.
    Yeah thats MR. Sleazy to you!

Bearpaw will kick your ass ...

No, not too many people know that I'm learning KF. My parents, KF school mates, some "real" school mates, and some close friends. I hang out in many areas where macho guys tend to feel threated by everything and I do mean everything. Seeing how I'm 5'11" and 368Lbs, those guys tend to just give me hard looks and hide in the corner.

Actually, i don't really care if ppl know i train Kung Fu and Qigong or not... if it comes up though, then of course i won't hide it.

You ALWAYS get someone who wants to 'test' you or whatever, no matter what you do... and when someone who doesn't train sees you or is near you it tends to bring out violent tendencies in them. It's like they totally flip out and want to kick someone in the head
    Actually, when someone keeps wanting to 'test' then i usually let them and don't really do anything. The number of people who have hurt themselves just trying to punch, kick me or whatever is actually very frightening! lol
    With that attitude it's obvious that they don't actually train, so after a minute or so it's all done and over with.

I have met some really cool people who do train though, and also some real arseholes. I think theres no point in trying to hide what you do. It doesn't make you in to an invincible killing machine or a psycho, so the more ppl who can see that, the better imo

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

No I don't brag about it. But if the subject comes up I just can't seem to shut up about it. However i feel it's a little frustrating discussion with someone who never trained martial art. Or is plain stupid about it. It's good to impress people with but I never show off when people are around. Only descrete stuff or stuff I do without reallt thinking about it. Guess that's not bragging or showing off. I would wanna wear a cool hoody sweather with my shools logo on the left side of the chest. It's very discrete and doesn't draw that much attention, I just want it cause I love the design and I need more sweathers. It's not for showing that I train Kung fu. Those people are rediculous. I'm sad to say I know alot of these kind of people.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

yay

My problem is that I study KF, have regular school, work, plus I was a musician for seven years, and brew. Not too many of my friends are involed in more then one area ...

It sounds to me Mr. Logic that you take pride in yourself and a big part of your self is your Gong fu. I wish I could see more people taking pride in them selves but there are those whom seem to have self-esteem issues and they cope with them by excessive drink or sexual activity or drug use or self mutilation or whatever negative outlet they can find. The martial arts seem to be a postive in your life right now, so continue to wear the martial art t-shirt or practice in what seems to be odd places and talk to any one and everyone who will endulge you in the conversation.

I sent a letter on Jan 1st to everyone on my ****list. Telling them I know kung fu and that Im coming to get them. Other then that no bragging or advertizing.
    strike!

Originally posted by Shaolin
    It sounds to me Mr. Logic that you take pride in yourself and a big part of your self is your Gong fu. I wish I could see more people taking pride in them selves but there are those whom seem to have self-esteem issues and they cope with them by excessive drink or sexual activity or drug use or self mutilation or whatever negative outlet they can find. The martial arts seem to be a postive in your life right now, so continue to wear the martial art t-shirt D
    while having drunken, violent sex with a crack ***** in a tatoo parlor.

martial arts weapon

O.K. we have some really cool responses.

It sounds like
    Chingei
    and
    Shaolin
    Have a VERY misconception of me.

When I said, I didn't do that, I ment everything I mentioned

I do not show off in front of anyone
    I don't wear clothing with Kung Fu logos.
    I don't talk about it at all!!!

I ACCIDENTLY left my 3 secional staff at my moms house and when company came over and saw it,well, I just went with it and it kinda felt good to brag just a little bit.

I'm just trying to figure out whats going on with the M.A. attitude that some people have.

Kung Lek
    Groceris are a misconceptional flaw from Kung Fu. Just beat your way to the God dammm front of the line and don't take no sh!t from that old grand ma cashier(give her a taste of Kung Fu also)
    Yeah, nothing will ever beat me.
    It sounds very simular to the reality of what is going on around us.
    Last edited by logic; 05-12-2002 at 05:15 AM.
    Honest Neutral Clarity